VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    what is the best method and software to capture my vhs on my and then burn it ?
    i already have the video garbber device but need the best software to capture
    with nero i get a green bar at the bottom
    regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    DVD and its compression are outdated technologies that hurt the quality of an already low resolution VHS, Capture to AVI using vdub and compress to a more efficient codec like h.264 and watch the videos as such from the hard drive, flash media or upload to the cloud.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As dellsam34 said, DVD (MPEG2) is not nowadays the best solution.

Vdub is the best capture software you can use (just capture lossles) then use ffmpeg with a GUI to convert to mp4 (for example pazera avitomp4 is a simple GUIwith usefull options).

As for the hardware, I would recommend to use a good one. For example this one : https://www.amazon.com/DATA-connection-video-capture-GV-USB2/dp/B00428BF1Y/ref=cm_cr_a...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Even if it is in japanese it seems to have god reviews and great results and it's win10 compatible.
    For a more detailed guide on how to install the driver this page : https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/ . There they recommend to use Amarec which is a good capturing software, and also to use Lagarith as video codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok but i want to give it to my mother and she cannot read it on pc etc... dvd will be the best choice can i achieve this ?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well I would recommend you first to capture uncompressed with vdub or amarec.
    Then with vdub you can edit (applying fiters to improve colors, light, ect...) . This may be optional if you don't think this is necessary.
    Then encoding you video file (r the edited video file) to MPEG2 in order to make it DVD compliant and then burn it to DVD using NERO as this is the burnng softare you have.

There are other softwares to create a DVD architecture (some are even free).

Finaly, encoding your uncompressed video file to MP4 to store it online or on a NAS server. If you have a lot free space keep the original uncompressed video like this ou would be able to encode it to a newer format later. (Always convert from the source, never from a compressed version like MPEG2 or else in order to keep the best quality as possible).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    A media player with USB flash drive that can be hooked up to any TV will do the job just fine, Even some TV's and DVD players are built in flash media playback capabilities. When was the last time your mom put a disc in it? If the answer is a very long time then that's probably a good reason to get rid of it and get a modern disc player with flash media playback capabilities or a disc-less media player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok i will try to use vdub
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Hunk91 View Post
    As dellsam34 said, DVD (MPEG2) is not nowadays the best solution.

Vdub is the best capture software you can use (just capture lossles) then use ffmpeg with a GUI to convert to mp4 (for example pazera avitomp4 is a simple GUIwith usefull options).

As for the hardware, I would recommend to use a good one. For example this one : https://www.amazon.com/DATA-connection-video-capture-GV-USB2/dp/B00428BF1Y/ref=cm_cr_a...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Even if it is in japanese it seems to have god reviews and great results and it's win10 compatible.
    For a more detailed guide on how to install the driver this page : https://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/ . There they recommend to use Amarec which is a good capturing software, and also to use Lagarith as video codec.
    I agree MPEG2 is outdated and there are other methods of capturing (MP4 seems decent with minimal compression IMO), but I tend to find that capture programmes seem to do a better job at MPEG2 capturing than with a standalone DVD recorder; even when I used to record onto my Panasonic DVD recorder from a VHS tape in the best recording mode the compression artefacts were very noticeable, but using the current programme I have which is Corel Video there's an improvement, even when I've encoded and burned to a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Hunk91 View Post
    Well I would recommend you first to capture uncompressed with vdub or amarec.
    Then with vdub you can edit (applying fiters to improve colors, light, ect...) . This may be optional if you don't think this is necessary.
    Then encoding you video file (r the edited video file) to MPEG2 in order to make it DVD compliant and then burn it to DVD using NERO as this is the burnng softare you have.

There are other softwares to create a DVD architecture (some are even free).

Finaly, encoding your uncompressed video file to MP4 to store it online or on a NAS server. If you have a lot free space keep the original uncompressed video like this ou would be able to encode it to a newer format later. (Always convert from the source, never from a compressed version like MPEG2 or else in order to keep the best quality as possible).
    AmarecTV and VDub hardly seem to work with my USB capture device on my Windows 8 laptop. No idea if anyone else has had this issue.
    Quote Quote