VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. don't know if anyone had experienced this
    I'm using Gui for dvdauthor and i'm having 2 issues
    -subtitle doesn't show up (i'm not sure if i'm doing it right but here is what I have done:

1) right click on the Menu Background
    2) insert button (default)
    3) in the Edit Button screen, i type in the name
    4) Action: subtitle=0; (this should be 'not showing subtitles' button right?)

Repeat step 1, 2, 3, and for Action: subtitle=64
    Repeat step 1, 2, 3, and for Action: subtitle=65
    (*I read somewhere saying that 64-->...means showing subtitles but i don't know which one to choose so i do both
    after clicking 'Create DVD' for a while, i got error saying that something is wrong with subtitle=64, so i went back to remove that button and the process went fine
    When I play the disc:
    not only the subtitle doesn't show up but the Subtitle buttons doesn't show up either, they are invisible, until i chose them

-My second issue is that the video file didn't sync with the audio file, the motions were moving really fast and the audio can't catch up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) right click on the Menu Background
    2) insert button (default)
    3) in the Edit Button screen, i type in the name
    4) Action: subtitle=0; (this should be 'not showing subtitles' button right?)
    That's correct in principle. But setting the subtitles should be done on a titlesetmenu (or a special submenu of the titlesetmenu) and not on the main menu, as most players reset the subtitles register by starting the titleset.
    You can look at the example here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/%7EGFD/1FilmAndSubmenus.html
    they are invisible
    This depends on the Button properties. If it is a 'normal' text button, make sure that 'normal visible' is set on (in my example the 'hand symbol' is explicitly set to 'normal invisible' as the 'description' for the button is in the text right next to the button to achieve a 'sprite' like effect).
    My second issue is that the video file didn't sync with the audio file, the motions were moving really fast and the audio can't catch up.
    Sounds like different frame rates... Check the frame rate of the source (video and audio) and of the transcoded video and audio. You can load the elementary streams in mpeg2schnitt to check the sync. It may also be a problem of wrong/missing pulldown flags.
    Quote Quote  
  3. question again:

C:\Program Files\GUI for dvdauthor\Help\ButtonSpecials.html
    for the last effect, is it possible if you add your own symbol, like using a bmp file instead of using Windings?
    I know I'm bothering you a lot, sorry and thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  4. No problem...
    But use (transparent) GIF as 'fileformat' for your own symbol. Put the gif file in the folder:
    YourGfDPATH\GifMask

Within the Edit Button dialog, enable 'Use Gifmask', select your file from the dropdown list and check the highlight type (Gifmask for Highlight, inv. for Highlight or Highlight only). If the symbol is 'selfdescribing', remove any text from the text box (otherwise the text is 'overlayed' on the symbol). The (symbol-) Button can be resized to any size and aspect if you set a tag on 'fixed size'
    See also: https://www.videohelp.com/~gfd/Help/ButtonsMasks.html
    and https://www.videohelp.com/~gfd/Help/DefaultButtonSettings.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. so, there are no way you can put the Subtitles selection button in the main menu?
    because i have 3 different movies and creating subtitles selection button in each Title Set...Menu is kinda a waste of time

if there is really no way to add the Subtitles/Audio buttons in the main background, the Action for each 'Start Movies' button would be different if I follow this guide: https://www.videohelp.com/%7EGFD/1FilmAndSubmenus.html right?

What is the g1=0; in front of some particular action supposed to do?

when i add my movies, the green bar below went over 4GB a little bit and it changes to yellow after that 4GB, will my DVD ok since that yellow bar is not very long and as i know, a DVD can contain up to 4.5gb

Last important question:
    I insert 4 movies in the main menu and oviously, there were 4 'Film...', 4 'TitleSet...Menu'.
    the weird things is that there is only 3 'jump titleset ... menu;' and 3 'g1=0;jump titleset ... menu;' in the Action's dropdown box so i don't really know which one corresponded to which one.

here is what I have done:
    - in the first TitleSet1Menu screen, i set the actions for the 'start movies' button as 'jump title 1 chapter 1;'

- in the first TitleSet2Menu screen, i set the actions for the 'start movies' button as 'jump title 2 chapter 1;' And so on for the 'Start movies' button in the TitleSet3Menu screen and TitleSet4Menu screen
    (even though there are only this: 'jump title 1 chapter 1;' and this: 'jump title 1 chapter 2;' in the Action's dropdown box, but i can't figure how set a right action for them so i just tried it that way (manually fix the 1 into the 2, 3, and 4.)

-For the 'back' button in all the TS1SubMenu1 screen (Subtitles selection), i didn't set the action like the one in this guide: (if (g1 eq 0) resume; else jump menu 1; ) since jump menu 1 means jumping back to the main menu (right?) and that is what i don't want, i want it to take me back to the TitleSet...Menu screen so i set this action: 'jump titleset ... menu;' (as I said before, there only 4 'jump titleset ... menu' so i manually fix the 1 to the 4 when i get to the TS4SubMenu1 in the TitleSet4Menu of Film4

Also there were 7 'jump menu ...;' (from 1 to 7) in the action's drop down box, I thought they correspond with all the menus including: main menu, TitleSet...Menu, TS...SubMenu...etc...so i try to count them all see if it right but the number is much greater (13 in total: 1 main menu, 4 TitleSet...Menu, 8 TS...SubMenu...)so I can't figure out what are those actions supposed to mean.

when i click create DVD, i got error, it said something like title #2 doesn't exist..., I don't know what was wrong, plz help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could you send me the saved project (.gfd) file? It's much easier for me to help you if I have all the necessary information. My email can be found in the log.

It is possible to put the subtitle selection buttons into the main menus, but some tweaking of the xml file (enable 'Edit author.xml file before DVD creation process' in the project settings) is necessary.

Could you solve the sync problem already?
    Quote Quote  
  7. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A5A7C8BE7557D374
    that is the gfd file

about the sync problem, i think i've solved it

but some tweaking of the xml file (enable 'Edit author.xml file before DVD creation process' in the project settings) is necessary.
    so you only need to do that? anything else?, where do you find that 'Edit autfor.xml file before DVD creation process?'

btw: can you plz answer these 2 questions of mine
    What is the g1=0; in front of some particular action supposed to do?

when i add my movies, the green bar below went over 4GB a little bit and it changes to yellow after that 4GB, will my DVD ok since that yellow bar is not very long and as i know, a DVD can contain up to 4.5gb
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  8. ...that is the gfd file...
    Ok, thanks. But I will probably not have the time before the weekend to look at it.
    where do you find that 'Edit autfor.xml file
    https://www.videohelp.com/~gfd/Help/XMLEditor.html
    What is the g1=0;...
    https://www.videohelp.com/~gfd/Help/FreeDefinedButtons.html
    and
    https://www.videohelp.com/~gfd/Help/Variables_concept.html
    ...a DVD can contain up to 4.5gb
    4.3GB to be exact.
    The bar is just a 'hint'. The first node in the project explorer shows the total size much more exactly. Keep it below 4440 MB and it should be ok (be carefull with subtitles; they are not taken into account, as I don't know how to calculate their final size).
    Quote Quote  
  9. hey borax, you don't need to waste your time checking up that file for me, i just figured it out.
    thanks for all your help so far
    and i'll try to figure that xml on my own by reading what is in the link your gave.

btw: i'm learning how to use paypal, i'll make sure I'll give you a donation after i learn how.
    again, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Gi-Ma-Mi
    @redwudz: sorry about that, it won't happen the next time

@bjs: sorry to say this but your answer doesn't help me at all, i mean what i need to know is a specific software that can create a dvd and multiple menus and switchable subtitles.

just like avi2dvd + the creating multiple menu funtion...
    No problem if you are willing to pay for it. I would recommend Sony DVD Architect, which I use for this purpose. I used to use Ulead DVD Workshop, but it seems Ulead is having problems, they have not updated their software in a very long time.

This will cost a few hundred bucks though.
    Terje A. Bergesen
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  12. thank you terjeber, I'm willing to pay but not that much

hey borax, is there another site showing how to edit thing in xml clearer?
    Quote Quote  
  13. No, unfortunately dvdauthor has not much documentation. Some info can be found here:
    http://nfs.shawnfumo.com/wiki/

But you may still ask me

A hint for setting subtitles on the main menu:

Usually the button for a direct film start (here for first movie) has the action:
    jump titleset 1 menu;

Change the action and add a variable (g5 here) to set the subtitle to subtitlestream 1
    g5=64; jump titleset 1 menu;

Create a new Button with the action:
    g5=65; jump titleset 1 menu;
    (set the subtitle to subtitlestream 2)

Create a new Button with the action:
    g5=62; jump titleset 1 menu;
    (this switches off all subtitles)

Click on 'CreateDVD' (with 'Edit author.xml' switched on)
    Scroll down to the section for the TitleSet1 menu (should look like
    Code:

<video format="pal"></video>
          <pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { if (g1 gt 0) jump title 1 chapter 1;
    Add the precommand to set the subtitle register (s2) to the value of g5:
    Code:

<pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { s2=g5;
                    if (g1 gt 0) jump title 1 chapter 1;
    Click on 'Save&Go'

I hope this helps a little bit.
    Quote Quote  
  14. borax, if i do it your way, does that mean if I have 3 movies with only 1 subtitle stream, I have to create 2 buttons (off subtitle, on subtitle) for each of them in the menu?

what i mean is that can you created a 'subtitles' button (kinda like the 'Set up' button) in the main menu which leads to another submenu and allows us to choose the Subtitle for all of the movies
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, the approach is quite the same. The only question is: Default is subs on or off? Assuming default is subs off.

Main menu:
    Code:
    Film1    (FilmButton1 action=jump titleset 1 menu;)

Film2    (FilmButton2 action=jump titleset 2 menu;)

Film3    (FilmButton3 action=jump titleset 3 menu;)

Set Subtitle    (MenuButton1 action=jump menu 2;)
    MainSubMenu1:
    Code:
    Subs=on    (FreeButton1 action=g5=64;jump menu 1;)

Subs=off    (FreeButton2 action=g5=62;jump menu 1;)

[]   (BackButton, hidden (click on the button and select 'Hide'), action=jump menu 1;)
    Edit xml:
    Code:

<pgc entry="title">
          <pre> { if (g5 eq 0) g5=62; if (g1 eq 0) g1=1; button=g1*1024; } </pre>
    </vmgm>
    <titleset>
        <menus>

<pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { s2=g5;
    <titleset>
        <menus>

<pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { s2=g5;
    <titleset>
        <menus>

<pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { s2=g5;
    If you want to have the subs on by default, replace if (g5 eq 0) g5=62; with if (g5 eq 0) g5=64; in the < pre > tag of the main menu.
    Quote Quote  
  16. is g5 functioning like g1? ensures that the video is not started directly?, is there any other g? like g2, g3, g4,...if i want to used the method above for audio streams (put the 'audio' button in the mainmenu), i would have to do the same things right? except that:
    i have to change this: g5=64;jump menu 1; into something like this: g5=0;jump menu 1;
    Quote Quote  
  17. is g5 functioning like g1?
    Yes. The registers g0 to g15 are 16 bit 'gereral purpose registers' which can be used like variables in a programming language. Depending on the settings GfD uses g0 to g3 for internal purposes and dvdauthor itself uses g13 to g15 for his internal purposes. So you have still g4 to g12 left. An overview for the registers is here:
    http://nfs.shawnfumo.com/wiki/DVDAuthor/VMLanguage
    if i want to used the method above for audio streams (put the 'audio' button in the mainmenu), i would have to do the same things right? except that:
    i have to change this: g5=64;jump menu 1; into something like this: g5=0;jump menu 1;
    No, you should use another register like g4 or g6. If you want to extend the above shown concept for a 'audio set up menu', you will need an additional mainsubmenu with buttons for audio selection and a register to 'remember' the selection. As for audio the stream 0 is default, you do not need to 'init' the value in the main menu like for the subtitles where 'off'=62 ('if (g5 eq 0) g5=62;'). If you insert a new DVD into your player, all g# registers are initialized with 0.
    In your 'audio set up menu' you can use similar buttons as for the subtitle selection (using g4 for audio): FreeButton1 action:g4=0;jump menu 1; (select audio 1) and FreeButton2 action:g4=1;jump menu 1; (select audio 2).
    In the < pre > tags of the titlesetmenus you need to check both g4 and g5 and set the system registers to their values:
    Code:

<pgc entry="root">
            <pre> { s1=g4; s2=g5;
    Quote Quote  
  18. to borax, these questions regarding subtitle formatting
    the more you decrease the 'bottom margin', the nearer the sub will be to the bottom, right?

is there anyway you can see what the fonts will look like? because there are so many new fonts in the 'font face' drop down box that i've never seen so just wanna know

to everyone: does anyone know what software used for detecting black frames in a video file?
    Quote Quote  
  19. anyone knows about the software used for detecting black frames in a video? (i'm repeating myself )
    Quote Quote  
  20. Comskip will do it, that is one of the main methods for detecting commercial breaks. The log file is a bit obtuse but does identify the frames.

I am curious, why not just turn subtitles on and off using the remote? Seems like a much simpler and foolproof method to achieve the same goal. Also the remote button is always accessible.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I had a check on that Comskip long long time ago but still had no idea how to use it, I read many time but still very confused, it's not really a commercial breaks anyway, it's just there are black frames betweens scenes after they already cut out the commercials and I want to depend on those black frames to divide my DVD's chapters

about subtitles, i want to make a good DVD since that's my fav movies so yeah, I really care about how the menu will look like
    Quote Quote  
  22. is there anyway that HC_encoder can add subtitle file (ass, ssa) into the video while encoding?
    i tried adding
    TextSub("c:\projects\project1\subs\endkaraoke.ass")
    into the avs file but there is error
    Quote Quote  
  23. Always test your script in VDub(Mod) before sending to the encoder. It's usually pretty specific about the error where the encoder might not be. Do that and tell us what the error is.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i did that already and there was no error, VirtualDub can load it just fine
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hmmm, no error in VDub, error in HCEnc. Is your script in YV12? HCEnc requires that, I believe. You can add:

ConvertToYV12()

after the last line. You've traced the problem to the ASS subtitles? When you leave them out it encodes just fine? You added the VSFilter plugin at the top of the script?
    Quote Quote  
  26. the more you decrease the 'bottom margin', the nearer the sub will be to the bottom, right?
    Yes.

is there anyway you can see what the fonts will look like? because there are so many new fonts in the 'font face' drop down box that i've never seen so just wanna know
    Just move to your fonts folder (usually c:\windows\fonts) with the explorer and double click on any *.ttf file. GfD just shows a list of all *.ttf files from this folder in the 'font face' drop down box.
    Quote Quote