VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'd like to upload my video to youtube in mp4 format (ffmpeg, 2 pass, best quality I can get), but I want do conversion myself. Does anyone knows (because it is not written on youtube page AFAIK) which criteria must meet video ?

I downloaded mp4 video from youtube, from ffmpeg I got:

Code:
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'youtube.mp4':
      Duration: 00:04:04.6, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 467 kb/s
        Stream #0.0(und): Audio: mpeg4aac, 44100 Hz, stereo
        Stream #0.1(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 480x360, 29.97 tb(r)
    my video (converted from camera) has:
    Code:
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'out.mp4':
      Duration: 00:00:21.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 457 kb/s
        Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p, 480x360, 30.00 tb(r)
        Stream #0.1(und): Audio: mpeg4aac, 44100 Hz, stereo
    so it should not reencode it, right ? Also 480x360 is really weird dimensions (not divisible by 16)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course it will re-encode.

a) Youtube streams flv video, so your video will have to be re-encoded to FLV

b) The mp4 version was probably also encoded behind the scenes at youtube from what could have been any source.

c) Your framerates don't match, which could be enough to trigger a re-encode just on principal.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok,

a) so it is really not possible upload video in mp4 format to youtube without reencoding, only flv is possible then ? I cannot believe this and it is not true.

b) why you need reencode mp4 to mp4, when source does match destination in every aspect ?

c) those 2 videos are not same, check length of those videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a) Youtube converts all video to flv, even flv if it doesn't fit the profile exactly.

b) Youtube has a specification, and if you don't meet it, you get re-encoded. It is the same with any specification. You can't just throw any mpg file on a DVD and call it a DVD Video. You have to meet the DVD specification. Youtube has a specification, and you have to meet it.

c) I know they aren't the same video. The length is irrelevant. What is important are the video specs - resolution, bitrates, framerates - and your are different to the youtube clip.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. a) I thoguth youtube is streaming all of videos in mp4 and flv is gone

b) I asked for this specification, what I should meet (dimensions, bitrate and so on), if you have it, please post.

c) same as b)
    Long live king
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was under the impression that YouTube was reencoding all videos that were uploaded?

Also, I think they are still using FLV for the older and lower quality videos and MPEG4 H.264 for the new high quality versions.

2ge, 480x360 is a common size because it is the same pixel aspect ratio as 640x480 (NTSC Square pixel equivalent). Even though the 360 is not evenly divisible by 16, it is divisible by 8 so not too bad.

Here is a table of optimal frame dimensions:

http://www.flashsupport.com/books/fvst/files/tools/video_sizes.html

Even with the new high quality versions and 1GB upload limit, the highest bitrate they will display is 500-600kbps for audio and video combined. No reason to spend hours uploading a 10mbps+ clip when a 3-5mbps will look virtually indentical.
    Take your skills to the next level @
    http://webvideotechniques.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. it is possible convert video to format - which youtube accepts, and do nothing with it, just read http://readlist.com/lists/mplayerhq.hu/mencoder-users/1/5219.html and see video at: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DYbibozTnWk

I wasn't sure about mp4 - maybe it works too, but I don't have time to trying it (also youtube is blocked from Thailand using some provider, like mine (TOT)).

For dimensions OK - I use always div 16, also I am programming website like youtube, and we are using div 16 too, it is better.

Also, I think they are still using FLV for the older and lower quality videos and MPEG4 H.264 for the new high quality versions.
    yes and that's exactly what I am asking - what criterion must meet mp4 video to be not reencoded (I know it will be reencoded to flv)

thanks.
    Long live king
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To my knowledge no one has found a way to slip an mp4 through without it being reencoded. I've been experimenting with no success so if you do find a way please share!!

The discrepancy I'm trying to resolve is my version is reported as ISO 14496-1 Base Media whereas after YouTube is done with it, it comes back ISO 14496-1 Version 2. But even if you did find a way there's always the chance they'll change the format slightly a week from now and it will get reencoded anyway.

Edit: I resolved that problem but it still gets reencoded. Maybe they just reencode everything.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is a tutorial "How To: Upload Lossless Quality HDV Videos to YouTube"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08NI4cy4zik

And some pepole can upload a HD movie to Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_HgzguhTKk&feature=related

I do not the cause why some special format files that Youtube do not reencode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, strange. Why wouldn't they allow mp4? It's the safer format (there was a vulnerability that allowed you to trigger callbacks from flv).

So if the mp4 container is not possible, how about just remuxing it to flv?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw
    Hmm, strange. Why wouldn't they allow mp4? It's the safer format (there was a vulnerability that allowed you to trigger callbacks from flv).

The guys who founded YouTube decided on FLV as the format because Flash works almost everywhere in a browser. It can be a bit troublesome in Linux, but even there you can get it working. It has nothing at all to do with safety or quality but what format could be the most easily supported across a variety of operating systems and browsers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw

They allow MP4. Who said they didn't? Plenty of people upload MP4 videos. They still get reencoded, though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The best solution I have found to take advantage of the high quality setting is to encode your videos to 640x480 (or 640x360 for 16:9) at 256kbps audio and 4000kbps video data rate. Even though YouTube will only encode to around 500kbps video, from testing I discovered that the YouTube data rate kept getting higher when I encoded from 2000, 3000, 4000. After 4000, the YouTube encoded rate capped out.

By encoding to 640x resolution and/or using a 16:9 ratio at the high data rate, it ensures that if they up the quality or resolution in the future thaht your videos will be able to take advantage of the higher settings without upscaling.

Here is a tutorial I put together on encoding for YouTube's high quality settting:
    http://webvideotechniques.com/35/how-to-encode-your-videos-for-youtubes-new-high-quality-option
    Take your skills to the next level @
    http://webvideotechniques.com
    Quote Quote