VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a free video splitter for mp4 videos which splits videos based on either file size (split after every 50 MB) or duration (split after every 15 mins). Let me know, thanks.
    Last edited by christysho; 20th Jul 2015 at 02:23.
    C
    Quote Quote  
  2. MKVMerge GUI on the "Global" tab.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does it work for mp4?
    C
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes. The result however is MKV.

If you want MP4 result there is My MP4Box GUI. (Handle only MP4 input - MKVMergeGUI takes all kinds of input)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should point out that mkvmerge does not cut exactly x number of MB or exactly x number of minutes, but will try to cut it in such a way that all the files start on I frames(maybe all IDR frames idk) and so the cut files are all self contained with no errors. The files will be close enough. This is the price you pay with adaptive GOPs in h264 streams.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If you want frame-specific edits (cut on the exact frame desired), you'll need better editors or you'll have to do it the hard way and use lossless intermediate media (and, yep, it's real work). h264 and other lossy encoded streams are not designed for editing: http://telestreamblog.telestream.net/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-for...hen-editing-2/. If I=frame cuts are OK with you, the software suggested will do the job.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote