VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used MakeMKV to REMUX a Family Guy DVD (Volume 1 Season 1). The weird thing is, in MediaInfo the FPS shows up as:
    Code:
    Frame rate                               : 24.586 FPS
    Original frame rate                      : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    But if I right click the MKV it says 29 frames per second. When I opened it in StaxRip it shows up as 24.586334FPS. When I tried to do an x265 encode everything was screwed up, the audio was out of sync, ect (while that encode always said 24FPS). I'm confused, aren't DVDs normally 29FPS? I did not IVTC, only QTGMC Slower. Why would a Remux of a DVD be 24FPS? I am 100% sure the source MKV is not re-encoded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cQsHfUq.png
Views:	252
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	46989
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IrQmaTD.png
Views:	210
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	46990
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDs can contain progressive frames with pulldown flags. The progressive frames can be any frame rate from 19.98 fps to 29.97 fps. The pulldown flags tell the player how to produce 59.94 fields per second from those progressive frames (this is the 29.97i that is constant on all DVDs). The VOB files can contain a mix of progressive with pulldown, true 29.97 fps interlaced, and any lower frame rate with hard pulldown to 29.97i.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVDs can contain progressive frames with pulldown flags. The progressive frames can be any frame rate from 19.98 fps to 29.97 fps. The pulldown flags tell the player how to produce 59.94 fields per second from those progressive frames (this is the 29.97i that is constant on all DVDs). The VOB files can contain a mix of progressive with pulldown, true 29.97 fps interlaced, and any lower frame rate with hard pulldown to 29.97i.
    The video is progressive (with combing, QTGMC fixed that). So what do I need to make a proper encode?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    DVDs can contain progressive frames with pulldown flags. The progressive frames can be any frame rate from 19.98 fps to 29.97 fps. The pulldown flags tell the player how to produce 59.94 fields per second from those progressive frames (this is the 29.97i that is constant on all DVDs). The VOB files can contain a mix of progressive with pulldown, true 29.97 fps interlaced, and any lower frame rate with hard pulldown to 29.97i.
    The video is progressive (with combing, QTGMC fixed that). So what do I need to make a proper encode?
    Progressive video doesn't have combing effects. Likely as jagabo says it's progressive with pulldown flags of some kind or other. You can't use QTGMC or similar deinterlacers on telecined video because soft-telecined video isn't interlaced.

What you need to do is learn to use real software, not MakeMKV. I don't use any of those free push-button automated converters, but maybe someone can make a better suggestion. You could use the free DGindex to make demuxed m2v video and AC3 audio files and tell DGIndex to ignore pulldown flags to get the original 24fps without pulldown flags. Why are you re-encoding, anyway? Isn't your playback system smart enough to play MPEG2 video files? Why MKV?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 21st Oct 2018 at 09:12.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Progressive video doesn't have combing effects. Likely as jagabo says it's progressive with pulldown flags of some kind or other. You can't use QTGMC or similar deinterlacers on telecined video because soft-telecined video isn't interlaced.

What you need to do is learn to use real software, not MakeMKV. I don't use any of those free push-button automated converters, but maybe someone can make a better suggestion. You could use the free DGindex to make demuxed m2v video and AC3 audio files and tell DGIndex to ignore pulldown flags to get the original 24fps without pulldown flags. Why are you re-encoding, anyway? Isn't your playback system smart enough to play MPEG2 video files? Why MKV?
    It's progressive but poorly mastered so there's combing on the raw video. It's a poor DVD. And it looks like using DVDShrink (disabling VOB splitting and compression) and opening that VOB in StaxRip fixes the issue. So I guess it's an issue with MakeMKV. I'm re-encoding to save space and fix the mastering errors. I am 100% sure it is not from a film reel (telecined). Sometimes the combing is worse in other parts of the video, ect.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    It's progressive but poorly mastered so there's combing on the raw video. It's a poor DVD. And it looks like using DVDShrink (disabling VOB splitting and compression) and opening that VOB in StaxRip fixes the issue. So I guess it's an issue with MakeMKV. I'm re-encoding to save space and fix the mastering errors. I am 100% sure it is not from a film reel (telecined). Sometimes the combing is worse in other parts of the video, ect.
    It sounds like a small section of it is either hard telecined or interlaced. The majority of it has pulldown flags so it's 23.976fps, but some of it, even just the studio logo at the start, or maybe the credits, is either interlaced or hard telecined, making those sections 29.970fps.

I don't use StaxRip, but by default ffms2 ignores pulldown flags and outputs the average frame rate. The small section at 29.970fps would explain why the frame rate is shown as something a little higher than 23.976fps. 24.586fps would be the average frame rate.

Maybe when you switched to opening the vob file, StaxRip switched to decoding with DGIndex instead and it decoded the source differently. Or it told ffms2 to obey the pulldown flags It's probably not MakeMKV's fault.

All the above is theory, but it's a logical reason. ffms2 needs to be told to obey pulldown flags with the rffmode option. Something like:

FFVideoSource("D:\video.mkv", rffmode=1)

That'd cause ffms2 to decode everything at 29.970fps, and then you'd have to apply IVTC and/or deinterlacing as required.

The only way to know if that's likely to be the problem is to see the scripts StaxRip was creating for encoding.

How much of the source contained combing?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Oct 2018 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    I used MakeMKV to REMUX a Family Guy DVD (Volume 1 Season 1).
    That was your first mistake, especially if the aim is to reencode it.

The video is progressive
    That's twice you said that. Saying it's so doesn't make it so. Obviously, it's not 100% progressive. If you want to find out what it really is, open all the VOBs in DGIndex and create a D2V project file. Look at the bottom and it'll tell you the film percentage. Unless it's 100% film or 100% video, you can't work with MakeMKV output. You showed a screen that said progressive. It is only showing how the first frame is encoded. It knows nothing about the rest.

I don't use StaxRip, but can't you feed the VOBs into it so it can use DGIndex to make the D2V on the way to making a proper reencode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It seems episode 1 wasn't so progressive after-all. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1855727#post1855727
    I said it was with combing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    You also claimed it was progressive and was poorly mastered:

It's progressive but poorly mastered so there's combing on the raw video.
    But there's nothing improper or poorly mastered about it. As it was discovered in your other thread on Doom9 when you finally produced a proper sample, it's a mix of hard and soft telecine, something very very common in the retail video world, especially the world of animations.

You make the D2V using "Honor Pulldown Flags" and set up the IVTC, maybe something like this:

TFM(D2V="C:\Video.d2v").Tdecimate(Mode=1)###Change 'Video" to whatever you're calling the D2V project file

The settings are explained in the docs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You also claimed it was progressive and was poorly mastered:

It's progressive but poorly mastered so there's combing on the raw video.
    But there's nothing improper or poorly mastered about it. As it was discovered in your other thread on Doom9 when you finally produced a proper sample, it's a mix of hard and soft telecine, something very very common in the retail video world, especially the world of animations.

You make the D2V using "Honor Pulldown Flags" and set up the IVTC, maybe something like this:

TFM(D2V="C:\Video.d2v").Tdecimate(Mode=1)###Change 'Video" to whatever you're calling the D2V project file

The settings are explained in the docs.
    Well at first I thought it was poorly made. So I guess it's not after all. Do I add that code to my AVS script?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Vitality View Post
    Well at first I thought it was poorly made. So I guess it's not after all. Do I add that code to my AVS script?
    Yes. The complete script might look something like:

LoadPlugin("H:\AVISynth\dlls\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("H:\AVISynth\dlls\TIVTC.dll")
    MPEG2Source("Movie.d2v")
    TFM(D2V="C:\Video.d2v").TDecimate(Mode=1)

Adjust for paths and names. You can leave out the LoadPlugin lines if you have the DLLs in your AviSynth Plugins folder. Maybe see how StaxRip does it. I know it gave them to you. Always test your scripts in VDub. Give the complete script and the complete error message if something's wrong.

You can do other filtering, (cropping, cleanup, whatever) in the same script if you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes. The complete script might look something like:

LoadPlugin("H:\AVISynth\dlls\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("H:\AVISynth\dlls\TIVTC.dll")
    MPEG2Source("Movie.d2v")
    TFM(D2V="C:\Video.d2v").TDecimate(Mode=1)

Adjust for paths and names. You can leave out the LoadPlugin lines if you have the DLLs in your AviSynth Plugins folder. Maybe see how StaxRip does it. I know it gave them to you. Always test your scripts in VDub. Give the complete script and the complete error message if something's wrong.

You can do other filtering, (cropping, cleanup, whatever) in the same script if you wish.
    StaxRip keeps overwriting my AVS file (I just added the TFM line edited). Should I try AviSynth?
    Quote Quote  
  13. An AVS is from AviSynth. Create it the way it was suggested and save it. Then open it in VDub to make sure everything looks okay. Then encode. If for DVD, maybe use the free and very good HCEnc to do the encode. It takes AviSynth scripts as input.
    Quote Quote