VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I need help removing the interlacing from this video, the source is a PAL 4:3 DVD and I have tried using the following:

Vidcoder with all types of deinterlacers
    Internet Friendly Media Encoder
    Hybrid
    AVIsynth- don't know where to start.
    Megui- don't know where to start.

I have tried playing around with the different presets, modes and detection modes to no avail.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. If that's your source, you're screwed. About the best you can do is blend the two fields together.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That was reincoded from the source, I didn't know to upload a clip from the source, which I will provide.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why did you convert it? That's not DVD video inside of the MKV. It was resized before ever being deinterlaced, making it impossible to deinterlace. It wouldn't need deinterlacing anyway. It's phase-shifted and a simple AviSynth TFM from the TIVTC package will fix it without ruining it by deinterlacing. Start over again with the source DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was wrong about it being phase shifted, now there's a VOB to study. It does need deinterlacing if you want to make it progressive. Bobbing is probably the best way to go, but that's up to you. By working with the unresized VOB(s), you shouldn't have any more trouble with whatever program you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How would I go about that?, I have no clue on using AVIsynth.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How to deinterlace? I expect the programs you listed earlier can do it. I don't know myself as I use none of them. Or are you responding to my earlier AviSynth remark? Doesn't Hybrid use AviSynth?

Or are you asking about how to bob? That's double-rate deinterlacing - turning interlaced 25fps to progressive 50fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Use a bob deinterlacer like Yadif(mode=1) or QTGMC(). Those are AviSynth filters. But many programs have Yadif() or mods of it. Handbrake's deinterlacer is a mod of Yadif() so Vidcoder should have it. Convert to 50p. Sample deinterlaced with AviSynth attached:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("C:\Users\John\Downloads\VTS.d2v", Info=3) 
    QTGMC(sharpness=0.7)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Apr 2018 at 16:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have tried the following deinterlace settings in Vidcoder with a test encode.

Deinterlace- Yadif
    Preset Bob
    Interlace Detection- Default

and added QTGMC(sharpness=0.7) in the More settings box.

Although I like the results, watching on my PC, I will try to watching it on other viewing sources before I judge yours and my test encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Alphantom View Post
    I have tried the following deinterlace settings in Vidcoder with a test encode.

Deinterlace- Yadif
    Preset Bob
    Interlace Detection- Default

and added QTGMC(sharpness=0.7) in the More settings box.
    You bobbed twice? Once with Yadif and then again using QTGMC? If so, it was the wrong thing to do. For best results bob just once - using QTGMC.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    No, only once, since x264 doesn't have any idea what "QTGMC(sharpness=0.7)" is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    QTGMC would be not a parameter for x264, but a function for the AviSynth script; unfortunately it's a bit complex to set up with several plugins being used. Yadif will be fine as available option in VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am doing my encodings in x265.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Doesn't matter much. Neither x264 nor x265 have a "QTGMC" parameter, it is a function for an AviSynth (or VapourSynth) script. And deinterlacing is a filter applied to the raw video, before any encoder uses its result.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have tested numerous encodes using Vidcoder's Yadif Bob has given me good results, thank you everybody for your help.
    Quote Quote