VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've read on this site that SVCD standard can have up to 2 stereo or 4 mono channels and surround sound MPEG-2 (5+1) extension. I don’t understand. 5+1 means 6 channels, does it? Is it possible to make SVCD disk which can be played on standalone DVD witch 5+1 surround sound?
    What kind of software do I have to use? I make a few SVCD with DVD2SVCD and as far as I know it produces Dolby Surround in 2 Stereo channels. Is it possible to have more channels to have more realistic sound assuming playing it in standalone DVD? How to do it?
    Mirek

Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, as a matter of fact, it is possible. Nevertheless, the work you will have with it is most likely not worth it since the very most (if not all) DVD Players don't support 5.1 Sound on SVCD.

Personally I always use Dolby Surround Downmix with Normalization and Dynamic Range Control. It sounds good to me even if it is not a sweet Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS DVD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2SVCD uses toolame as audio encoder, that produce MPEG-1 audio. I know only one tool, that encode to MPEG-2 audio: ReMPEG. Also MPEG-2 audio isn't supported by many dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Has anybody had an occasion to listen SVCD with Dolby Surround on A/V amplituner with Dolby Surround II ex. Yamaha RX-V1200? How does it sound in relation to DVD?
    Mirek
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I use SVCDs with Dolby Surround Downmix on with a Pioneer Dolby Digital Receiver and you can indeed hear correct surround effects. Nothing seems to be missing after Downmixing, but 5.1 anyway gives that Little Extra. Still, it's perfectly acceptable.
    SiCN - the real one!
    "Dudes, we gotta think here... What would Brian Boitano do?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a number of decoders which can decode multichannel mpeg audio, the problem is that it appears only Philips dvd players correctly output the audio so unless you have a philips player multichannel mpeg audio is pretty much out of the question.

ReMPEG can create multichannel mpeg audio however the disk will not comply with the Super VCD standards and as a result you can only get 5 channels instead of 5.1, which most people won't mind about anyways. The only way to create a completely compliant multichannel mpeg audio svcd is to use linux.
    Quote Quote