VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had ripped a DVD I own of a movie, so I have a backup. I have the DVD files *.ts, *.vob, etc.) in a folder on my laptop. My laptop's cooler has a problem. It is causing my laptop to get tooooo hot, where it shuts off. I will buy a new one Friday, but in the meantime, I want to be able to rip the DVD to an .avi file. Why? Because I have a Samsung HDTV, and I want to watch the movie on said HDTV. It has the media player, where I can plug a flash drive into it and watch the movie. My whole issue is converting the already ripped DVD to .avi. is there an Android phone app that will convert the DVD to .avi file?
    Last edited by snafoo; 24th Oct 2023 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not answering your question, but can your TV play AVIs?

Converting to MPG would be better because you can do that losslessly with something like AVIDemux (it basically just joins all the VOBs up). Converting to AVI would probably entail a re-render; not desirable, especially for a DVD on a big TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. My TV *only* can play .avi files. I will give avidemux a shot. I just gotta get my new laptop cooler tomorrow and will be able to convert the movie to an .avi.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough, be aware there are lots of different types of "AVI", so you'll need to find out what codec your TV will accept and then use that to convert your DVD files. If you have an AVI that works on your TV, you can use Mediainfo to analyse that file and determine the video codec used.
    Quote Quote