VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I have problem with marking chapter points within VCDeasy 2.02,
    that it appeared in the previous version also.

Any chapter point I marked, it keeps shifted within 10 seconds.
    So I just can't mark any accurate point within 2 seconds.

The MPG file is encoded with Tmpeg2.5, it works fine with
    TSCV,with chapter point selections within 2 seconds.
    But not in VCDeasy.
    Any idea?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If I understand you correct, you create a chapter point a lets say 60 sec, but VCDEasy then creates it somewhere between 55 and 65 seconds? Correct me if I misunderstood you.

I never have this problem with VCDEasy. Usually when I create a chapter point it will be if not perfectly, but very close to the mark I made. I'll do some tests myself and get back to you.

// Znooky
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can, try using different MPEG encoders on the same material and see what happens. TMPGEnc has a bug somewhere in the GOP area where it doesn't always make valid entry points on I frames. Some ppl will tell you to use 'Closed GOPs', but you should not haev to do this as that is used for something else (editable file and multi angle DVD streams).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I did the test between VCDeasy 2.02 and TSCV 0.84 R2,
    that VCDeasy has 5 seconds behind the point I entered,
    and the TSCV only has half second behind it.
    (both tested with a same MPG file that created by
    Tmpeg 2.5 default VCD setting)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I usually have this problem with TMPGEnc files also. I only use VCDEazy, so I can't say what the problem is. Probably TMPGEnc glitch (GOP).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try setting "Relax the APS contraints for chapter entry points" in VCDEasy (and like VCDEasy says, its not advised). This is what TSCV is most likely doing. As the VideoCD standard is for professionals, it isn't easy for amatures to fully understand. That's why there are so many problems and rule bending going on like this. If this doesn't matter to you then just use the unrecommended settings in VCDEasy, or switch encoders. TMPGEnc does not strictly adhere to the specs, but this doesn't seem to matter to the majority. I do realise what I'm saying is akin to heresy on this board, but stuff it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Tmpgenc is the holy cow to some people, so we must not say anything bad about the cow, lol. Its slow as a cow too, so the parabel isnt THAT bad is it? PLEXHOR, I saw the example of APS' you posted in the Mpeg Encoder Shootout thread, its a horrible difference and your question remained unanswered i think? I also used to get warnings in VCDEasy, "Strange, possible Non-Compliant user data seen (Not a problem, usually a sign of Tmpgenc)". Anyway, in this case he can probably safely relax the constraints, with tmpgenc its POSSIBLE NON COMPLIANT already so one non-compliance more or less doesnt make a big difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hear ya! Just start running if you hear anyone yell "Witch!"

Yeh, it should be safe to relax APS constraints. I will just be a matter of hit or miss if his DVD player will play the chapter points good or not (and who knows what will happen if it doesn't, could lock up the player, seen that before)

And yes, my question regarding the APS differences between TMPGEnc and CCE has still not been answered, I think because the answer is disturbing to a lot of ppl. Here is a fact:

TMPGEnc IS BUGGY.

IT PRODUCES NON-COMPLIANT VCD's (haven't tried DVD's yet, don't have a DVD burner)
    Quote Quote  
  9. But do CCE and MainConcept produce perfect compliant MPEG1s? I might give them a try.

TMPGEnc, although non-compliant files, works fine with most VCD authoring apps, and I guess that's enough for most ppl.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I never had compliancy-related problem with CCE, and speed-wise and quality-wise (especially quality!) there is really no comparison at all with Tsunami or any other encoder. To me TMPEG is only good for occasional MPEG-1 encoding when needed (and it does it not-so-compliant with VCD standard as well ) or for quick editing/cutting MPEG files.

Yeah it is a holy cow to many people, but so are Macs, AMDs and lots of other stuff - so f*g what? No one is forcing them to use anything else
    Quote Quote  
  11. I always hear TMPGEnc is slower, but better quality... Is that true, for a CCE CBR MPEG1 VCD compliant encode, will it go faster and get >= qulaity than TMPGEnc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One problem that I have noticed with CCE-SP v2.5 is that when using all VCD compliant settings but using NTSC 23.976fps settings, it does not set the aspect ratio in the MPEG1 file correctly. It sets it to 1:1 VGA, not CCIR601 525 line NTSC, but that is an easy fix, I used MPEG Sequence Maker to change the aspect ratio setting, could be another tool to use, but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows of what to use to change the settings in the MPEG1 file, let me know. I'm always on the look out for different tools to use. Got to use them all to see which one suites me best!
    Quote Quote