VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere and I can't remember where, that you can use youtube-dl-gui as a GUI for yt-dlp.exe. Can anyone confirm that, and tell me how to set it up?

I would appreciate it very much. Thank you in advance...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you can but have not tried it.

But what I have tried, and does work, is TVDownloader. Here you copy the yt-dlp.exe to the same folder as the installation of TvDowmloader, rename the youtube-dl.exe to something else and then rename yt-dlp.exe to youtube-dl.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That would essentially be the same thing, since TVDownloader uses ffmpeg and youtube-dl to do what it does. So I am going to make backups of everything and try it. And if if it doesn't work, then I will delete the altered files and restore the backups to their original states. That is something I've done for 30 plus years... You never edit original files.

With my vision getting worse every year, it would just be so much easier for me to use youtube-dl-gui and put addresses for files I want to download in a text file. Then I'm not limited by the maximum font size that isn't big enough for me to see clearly.

Thanks!

Edit: Nope. It didn't work. Back to the old method of using text file based batch files.
    Last edited by Axel Slingerland; 23rd Apr 2022 at 18:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's odd. I have it working fine here. I would not waste your time with something that does not work for me.

Maybe you did not rename yt-dlp.exe correctly. Even a {space} between the name and the '.' will fail the program.

Check out the image below of my installation. Note the difference in file size in the original youtube-dl.exe (renamed) and the several versions of yt-dlp.exe with the most recent version now successfully renamed and worked just two days ago.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TVDownloader.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	64511  

Quote Quote  
  5. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, the files are renamed correctly.

[Attachment 64517 - Click to enlarge]

But I do see a difference... I'm talking about youtube-dl-gui and you're talking about TVDownloader. Which unless there is a way to download multiple files together that I haven't found, that won't do what I'm trying to do.

Downloading a list of files with youtube-dl-gui the way I have always used it, having renamed the yt-dlp.exe file to youtube-dl.exe, youtube-dl-gui works fine. Except when I load a list of files to download as a batch, it kicks out an Unsupported URL error with some files, such as with files from Pluto TV or Paramount+ for example. I tried several different custom arguments, with the same results each time.

On the other hand, if I put those same files to download in a DOS Batch file and run them from yt-dlp directly, that works fine. That's the way I've been doing it, it's just that a text file of plain links is a couple of less steps. The goal was to download all files the same way across the board. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. It's just a different way of doing things, and as long as I keep my notes on how to do it for each method, it's all good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made it clear in my original reply that this worked for TVDownloader. Never tried for any other gui.

In fact, but only looking at a preview screen, TVDownloader has more options.

But surely, if you want to download a batch/self-created set of files you have to work at command prompt level. Gui's can not do that. However, TVDownloader can download a complete youtube channel when you input that as the filename rather than an single file.

Also, no gui will ever support every channel. They constantly change their system so as to discourage/prevent downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do not send me DM's
    Search Comp PM
    https://github.com/mhogomchungu/media-downloader/

windows and linux. You can decide if it's standard youtube-dl or yt-dlp that's used, read the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I made it clear in my original reply that this worked for TVDownloader.
    Yes, you did make that clear. It wasn't relevant to what I asked about, but yes, you did make that clear.
    Quote Quote