VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I am not sure where to post this but I have been looking for a simple program to just do simple DVD's from video files. I have Roxio 2012 but I would like something more lean and basic. I am trying to actually get away from Roxio. I tried DVD Flic but I don't understand why it doesn't output an "iso" file like it claims to do. I end up with a bunch of "TF" files. I set it to "iso" in the project setting. You only have "iso" or direct DVD burning as a choice. So I don't get why I don't end up with an "iso" file. I tried creating a iso out of the files using DVD shrink to create an iso out of it but it doesn't recognize it. Now Roxio will create an iso in a DVD format for you to burn to play in a standard DVD player. Any insight or perhaps other such free programs is very appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by rayi View Post
    I end up with a bunch of "TF" files.
    'TF' files? Might you mean to say 'TS' files, as in VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS? If so, those are the DVD files. Look inside the VIDEO_TS and you'll see the VOBs, IFOs and BUPs. And they're ready to burn to disc using ImgBurn. I don't know why you have to have ISOs.

Or try AvsToDVD which can even burn the resulting DVD to disc for you, if you also install imgBurn. Or it can create the ISO you seem to want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rayi View Post
    I tried DVD Flic but I don't understand why it doesn't output an "iso" file like it claims to do.
    Are you sure you have enough free space on the destination drive? If so, in the Project destination folder you should have a folder named "dvd" - which contains the IFOs, BUPs and VOBs - and a bunch of other files, one of which should be the ISO. Make sure your system is configured to show file extensions, otherwise, you may have trouble indentifying the ISO file.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant to say TS, in the Video_TS folder there are VOB files. But I want an ISO file because they are more compact and easier to store. I must have done something wrong because it finally created an iso file among the text files in the DVD folder. Showing hidden files helped but at first when I showed hidden files, I didn't see an iso, so I tried again and made sure I did all the steps right and then clicked created DVD and it showed an iso file this time for some reason. If you didn't want to use an iso file, would you use the Video_TS folder to burn to a DVD? What are all those text, xml and log files for?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I get it. I am being dense. The Audio_TS and Video_TS file are in the iso file. So you do use the Video_TS file to burn your DVD but you need a program like imgburn to burn the Video-TS files to DVD. DVD flic does not do that, unless you burn directly to disc but only one time, it seems to me. I noticed that you have to rename the DVD folder or it will delete it if you want to create another DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rayi View Post
    But I want an ISO file because they are more compact...
    'Compact', as in smaller in size? No they're not.
    ...and easier to store.
    What? Both store equally easily and equally well on a DVDR. But try playing an ISO in a standalone DVD player. Isn't that the reason for making a DVD in the first place - to play it in a DVD or Blu-Ray player?

However, using ImgBurn you can have it write the VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs within that ISO to disc so you have a playable DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, ISO will play on my Philips Blu-ray and it also plays the VOB file but not in my DVD player. I just recently purchased this Philips Blu-ray with a USB port and decided to try it. You can play ISO's on a computer and they are easy to burn to a DVD on Roxio by just right clicking the ISO or dragging it. I prefer to burn it from an ISO. But no they are not smaller but an iso keeps them nicely together. But it doesn't mean it is better that way.

I have another question about DVD Flick. It doesn't seem like any name you give it, shows up in the DVD folder. It only says "DVD".
    Quote Quote  
  8. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rayi View Post
    I have another question about DVD Flick. It doesn't seem like any name you give it, shows up in the DVD folder. It only says "DVD".
    You can set the disc label (ISO Volume Label) in Project Settings -> Burning -> Disc Label. Regardless of the name you choose, the ISO file will always be named "dvd.iso". If you want another name, just rename the file in Windows Explorer.

P.S. BTW, are you using the newest DVD Flick v2 1.3.0.9? This is a newer fork from the original DVD Flick project. It isn't available on the official DVD Flick website, but you can find it in https://www.videohelp.com/download/dvdflick_setup_1.3.0.9.exe.
    Last edited by Keyser; 8th Mar 2015 at 17:25.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed CDburnerXP will also open an ISO by right clicking the iso to open with CDburnerXP. I've been using CDburnerXP on computers with not a lot space. I've had pretty good success with it and has a very nice simple interface. I have been trying out different programs because I discovered that Roxio 2012 is not compatible with Windows 8 and probably not Windows 10. I've been with Roxio a long time time but have had my headaches with it and decided to part with it. 2012 was pretty stable for me. It seems to get bulkier and bulkier. I use Premier and Photoshop anyway now.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can see it comimg. Soon you'll be talking about a million other burning programs like CDBurnerXP, Roxio, Nero... You've already been told to use ImgBurn. It's no use asking for advice if you don't listen.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just asked you about DVD Flick but since you insisted, I installed imburn. I have always wanted to try it. I'm not sure what the big deal is since CDburnerXP works and does what I need it to do, plus it has a nicer interface. I never did like Nero because of its interface: too clunky. But I will give imgburn a try. I do appreciate your comments and help. But I have been using CDBurnerXP for many many years and has never once failed me, along with Roxio but that is another story. I always like to put CDburnerXP on other peoples computers since it is so easy to use and just does the basic things that 95+% of the people do: data disc and CD/DVD copying. Most people I talk to around here don't even know what an ISO is much less a VOB file. It is kind of confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The "big deal" is that ImgBurn has a built-in system that prevents newbies like you from making mistakes like setting the wrong options for a given contents type. If you want to use CDBurnerXP be my guest, but don't come here crying because your standalone doesn't recognize the discs.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!