VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks,
    I have more than 30 DVDs in the last 23 years. Now I wish to dechipher them one by one and extracting the video and audio . Then they wiil be placed on a site presenting a gallery. The gallery will be for a limited number of people, who will access the video clips, slideshows and music using PCs, MACs, Pads, smart phones, .... This project causes problems such as what should be the file codec be so that it is playable on all these devics? Is it worth converting the files? Does it take less time to input new CODECS to take it accessible on most devices? Can storing the ISO image of the DVD help? There is of course internet streaming issue? Can the DVD menu structure be implemented as the disk structure? Are there any tools for all this. My configuration is PC Windows 7, Power Director, Sony Vegas 13 platinum, , Virtual Dub, TMPGenc and any help is welcome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My advice would be: Replace all movie access (discs and menus) with webpages and put all videos on YouTube or Vimeo (unlisted/‘private’), and embed the videos in your webpages. This makes it directly accessible to pretty much all devices; Conversion is done on an external server automatically, after you upload; You won’t reach the storage limits/bandwidth limits with your hosting provider, as the videos themselves are hosted elsewhere.

It is not so much a conversion problem, as a presentation problem: The structure (everything but the videos) should be different, and you’ll have to think about how the different medium could benefit from a change in structure.

You could extract DVD titles to single file VOBs or MPGs without conversion. You could upload those to a video sharing site of your choice.

DVD slideshows should be handled separately, I think, if they are truly stills, and not video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good advice have touched the Website part of the problem also. These videos are mostly trip videos with a lot of personal clips. Now that you have mentioned the subject security. Do you think that defining videos as "private, personal, etc... with passwords on them on sites like Vimeo, Youtube does it really make them personal. Because sometimes I use world-known classics such as "Blue Danube Vals from J Strauss" or something similar as background music in personal video clips or slideshows. This is like playing the music at home or in the car. Yet these clips are immediately rejected saying you will violate the Law.
    So I am approaching that idea of supplying everything on the server side with serious caution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Background audio (music) from others can be a bit of problem with YouTube, as they detect copyrighted stuff pretty well. While the rights on the writing of certain classical pieces may have expired, the specific performances by certain orchestras may still have applying rights. It has been a while since I last had to deal with that, and policy may have changed since then. It think it had an option to leave it as-is and accept full responsibility. Next time find some royalty-free music to use, that is the only way to avoid this mess. YouTube’s “unlisted” is not private; the URL is accessible by anyone without logging in, but you have to know the URL, or visit a webpage that links to it (which may get indexed by a search engine, unless you prevent that).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Concerning video and audio playing and converting I am getting messages from Power Director that certain codecs are missing but it does not say which ones. Is there a free codec package that I can download and install that contains most of the codecs currently in use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you for your share.
    Quote Quote