VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi *** *'* * ***

please I wonder if there is a practical way to tell to ffmpeg to show the percentage of encoded, or - for cats only - to see a progression bar of encoded.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please wait for another couple days before bumping your thread,i deleted the other 3 bumps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No ffmpeg itself doesn't show progress in percent.
    There are tons of tools/front ends/wrappers that do, so either use another tools that calls ffmpeg (or write one yourself) or stick with the way ffmpeg indicates progress.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. @echo on
    ffmpeg ...
    pause
    :end
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. You do realize that ffmpeg reports the timecode position during an encode? Maybe not quite the same as a progress bar, but if you know that your video is 10 minutes in length, and ffmpeg is currently reporting it is at 2:00:00 and encoding at 18 fps a 30 fps clip then you can quickly calc the amount completed and time left e.g. 20% done and ~13 minutes until completion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. yes but I'm a *** , please I need some examples of use. Some commandlines in practice
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have read but is too complicated, what is AJAX, PHP? Seems they have developed some procedure in other enviroment than windows

I wonder if there is a practical way, here
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sadly, ffmpeg itself still cannot show a progress bar.

Thus, i recommend giving the brand-new ffmpeg-progressbar-cli a try:

It's a thin wrapper for ffmpeg and shows a colored, centered progress bar and the remaining time.
    Also, it's based on Node.js, actively developed and open-source.
    Quote Quote  
  9. thank you cat, but I'm not able to install the program

I have windows 10 ver 1607 build 14393.447

I have download and install node-v10.9.0-x64.msi

And download ffmpeg-progressbar-cli-1.3.0.zip

for example I decompress all file of the ffmpeg-progressbar-cli-1.3.0.zip in c:\me so that I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	struct1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	46548

and in c:\me\lib:

cClick image for larger version

Name:	struct2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	46549

I lauch the cmd prompt and I go in c:\me (or c:\me\lib but don't chage nothing) and I get this error when I try to install the program:

Click image for larger version

Name:	err4.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	46550

what I mistake? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    thank you cat, but I'm not able to install the program

I have windows 10 ver 1607 build 14393.447

I have download and install node-v10.9.0-x64.msi

And download ffmpeg-progressbar-cli-1.3.0.zip

for example I decompress all file of the ffmpeg-progressbar-cli-1.3.0.zip in c:\me so that I get:

what I mistake? thanks
    Dear marcorocchini,

thanks for your feedback and the provided documentation.

The issue regarding the installation of ffmpeg-progressbar-cli occurred to a missing "Git" installation on your PC,
    however, the latest version (v1.4.0) does not have that requirement anymore, your edge case has been taken into account. Please retry installing.

Furthermore, please use Github Issues for support and feedback in the future, as that page is visited and updated much more frequently than this thread .

Cheers,
    S
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is obviously necromancing an old thread, but another option for a command-line ffmpeg wrapper with a progress bar is the python package ffpb.

You install it with pip (pip install ffpb or pip3 install ffpb).

After that, you'll have a command called ffpb that uses the exact same syntax as ffmpeg itself.

Here's some output from it being used on a movie with burning subtitles.
    ffpb -i filename.mp4 -vf subtitles=eng.srt:force_style='FontName=DyslexicLo gicFont' -c:a copy
    outfile.mp4
    filename.mp4: 45%|██████████████▎ | 97752/219384 [30:33<35:29, 57.12 frames/s]
    But apparently, it doesn't work when you set the log level low or use "--ss/--to/-t" arguments.
    Quote Quote