VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's what i got...
    I ripped the actual menus off the DVD i was ripping, the vob was something like VTS_01_0.VOB. I used DVD2AVI to make sure they were the menus (they were).
    So here's what i want to do.

The menu opens and has text on it
    :PLAY: :SCENE SELECTIONS: :SPECIAL FEATURES: :SUBTITLES:

However, because i only have the movie file, i only want the menus to show:
    :1. Play: :2. Scene Selections:

So in general, this is what i want to do... I want to cover the original menus text with a black box, and on top of that black box, i want to add my own menus selections. I'm assuming i'll need some sort of movie editor to do this.
    If anyone has any idea what i'm talking about, or any idea how i can accomplish this, please let me know!
    Thanks!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Instead of ripping the menu file, you can just use PowerDVD to take a still-image capture of the menu to a bmp file. Open that bmp file with any image editing program and edit the text. Thats what I do and I use Fireworks to edit. It works fine for me, I also capture the scene selections menu and use them. It makes the SVCD look really nice.

But, if your looking to make motion menus, then I think youll need to convert the VOB to mpeg2 (svcd) and then use Premier, or whatever you like, to edit it by removing the text you dont want.

I find it alot easier to just use still-menus.

Give it a try and let me know your results.
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a very easy way to do all this with free software.

You already have your d2v file. You can use vfapi to convert your d2v file into a psudo avi file so that virtual dub (look in tools section) will accept it. An easier way is to just use avisynth and create a simple avs script, but either will work.

If your source is just a bunch of still pics then load your avs or psudo avi in virtual dub. If your using avisynth then use it to resize your file to 704x480/576 otherwise use virtual dub to resize,(video/filters/add/resize.) Now click file/save image sequence and enter a filename and location. It will make a bmp still pic for each frame in the vob file. Of course you can set a start and end point if you only want pics from a specific section of the vob, (edit/set selection start and set selection end.) You can use a software dvd player to take the stills as PlaiBoi suggested but then you will have to capture and resize each one manually and also if you compare the pic to the the original dvd you will see that the colors are different, usually much darker.

Now you have all your stills and you can just use microsoft paint to edit your pics. Of course if you have a more powerful editing prog like Paintshop or photoshop than use that instead.

Now if your menu's are moving than use the same process as above except resize to the compliant resolution for the format your making, ex: 352x240/288 for vcd and 480x480/576 for dvd. In microsoft paint create your black box with text you wanted. Since your just making a solid box your fine but if you want to have odd shapes or something like a number embedded over your menu then you need to use a blue background because this part will be transparant in the filter your going to use. Download the "subtitle" filter for virtual dub and load it (video/filters/add/load/ point it to the filter.) Load your pic you made and just move it over the button you want to cover up. Re-add the filter each time adding another box til your done. The pic you overlay on your menu will be antialiased already so it will look great. Now save the whole thing as an uncompressed avi (shouldn't be too big) and encode to mpeg1 or mpeg2 depending on what your making.

You can also follow this method for your still pics too and it might save you some time. You can overlay your buttons on top of the menu and then save the image sequence.

Did I say that was simple? It does sound complicated but once you figure out how to do it, it literally only takes about 1 min to complete the whole process. I have several "buttons" already prepared which I just load up in the subtitle filter and overlay onto my menu's. It only takes me about 2 mins to prepare all the static and motion menu's for my SVCD now that I am familiar with the procedure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Surprisingly, i do understand what you're saying
    But here's what's hanging me up... Using DVD2AVI, i'm having trouble with using vfapi to convert my d2v to a psudo avi file. I open my d2v file, then i click save as AVI, i select no recompression. It creates an AVI file really fast. When i try to open that avi file in virtual dub, i get an error "can't read avi file, file is empty". I'm probably doing this step all wrong, so if you could get me past this, i'll probably get the rest on my own.
    Thanks for the help!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, i got past that part... i created the "fake" avi file, then i edited the frames to what i wanted them to be, etc...
    Now here's my lastest problem...
    Does anyone know where in this process i would add the audio to the menu? Would i add the audio in VirtualDub, or should i add the audio in TMPGEnc? Also, how can i eliminate any audio sync problems that might come up?
    Thanks everyone!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try the following:

Load your menu VOB into DVD2AVI. After the frameserving has completed, load the .d2v file into tmpgenc. Go to the file menu, select "output to file". Select the bmp/ppm/tga...etc field. A save dialog box will pop up and request naming info for your files. After clicking save on the save dialog box, tmpgenc will convert the frameserved vob file into individual .bmp files. After that, you can open the .bmp files in any image editing software and make your changes. I just did this and it works perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What do you do with the bmps after you edited them? Do you need to use virtual dub to put them back into a single movie file? Or can this be done with TMPGEnc?
    Also, let me know when the best time to add the audio from the menu in...
    Thanks!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You load the bmp file into your authoring program and it will create the still picture for you. If you use TSCV (gui for vcdimager) it will give you the option of adding audio along with your bmp menu. It will create an mpeg still, basically just a segment item, to be used for your menu.

What are you using to author your svcd?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just to clarify, i'm trying to make a motion menu, exactly like the one on the DVD (i really didn't clarify this).
    To author my SVCDs, i'm using VCDEasy.
    I want to edit some frames so i can change the menu selections, and i think i got that part down, i used TMPGEnc to save my files as BMP (the VirtualDub thing works exactly the same way), then fixed the text. I start getting problems when i try remixing everything back together, putting the stills back into one movie file, then adding the audio. I used VirtualDub to create the actual AVI file, but i didn't add the audio at that point. I added the audio with TMPGEnc when making the MPEG-2 file. It worked, except the audio was WAY off from where it should be. Will using TSCV (or other program) when authoring help my audio problems?
    Thanks a lot for the help to all who have posted!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote  
  10. Maybe you need to add more empty space to your wav file?
    Or maybe shorten it? Did it start to soon? Or too late?

Download a demo of sonic foundry's soundforge 6 for free from www.sonifcoundry.com. Then you can do almost anything to your wav sample =)
    Take care and be well to eachother
    Quote Quote  
  11. As far as needing to edit the wav file, i shouldn't have to because the .wav file and the .d2v file should match up exactly. I think i was either doing something wrong in my process, or it was VirtualDub that was causing the problem.

Around 12:30a.m. last night, i finally got exactly what i wanted, so i did it!

Here's a quick description to what i did, to those who are interested...
    I opened my .d2v file in TMPGEnc (did not select a template or use the wizard). I then selected :File->Output to file->Sequence BMP/PPM/TPA/JPG File: and picked a folder to save all the BMPs to. When i finished that, i loaded my audio track in TMPGEnc and selected :File->Output to file->WAV File: (needed to do this because i used 'source range' in TMPGEnc to get the parts of the audio i wanted).
    I edited the frames i wanted then went back to TMPGEnc.
    I selected my movie file as the first BMP file (named something like 'movie-000001')
    I selected my audio file as the one i created in TMPGEnc
    I set my encoding options...
    5-10 minutes later... Bingo! Had my working full motion MPEG with the menu selections that i wanted!

-Can't say this for sure, but if i get time, i might try to make some sort of guide for this, to make it easier to understand.

Thanks so much for all of the info from everyone! It really really really was a giant help!
    Thanks!
    Mojo
    Quote Quote