VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here are computer specs:

HP Celeron 700mhz, Windows ME
    192mb PC100 RAM
    160G HD
    Optorite DD1205 DVD Writer

This computer is about 5 years old, and I have no real complaints. Except that I have the Ritek G05 (8x DVD-R). And my burner supports DVD-R up to 8x, and I'm using Nero 6. Well, I can only burn at 4x. Nero gives me the option to burn at 8x, but everytime I try that, I can only get 4x out of it (I burned with DVD Decrypter and same thing).

I've read here about the Optorite and they seem to be able to burn up to stated speeds on their DVDs.

Now is the reason I can only get 4x is because of my old PC. I believe the IDE cable speed is 100mhz (if there is such a thing, because my memory is PC100 I assume thats somewhat right), and is that limiting my transfer speed.

The HD is a Maxtor Ultra ATA133 160G and is on another IDE cable set as master, but its not really utilitzing the speed.

So is it basically my old PC? Its really no big deal, I can live with 4x for now, but I just want to make sure when I upgrade and put the burner in my new PC, I can get higher speeds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have never heard of any auto-adjust feature of lowering the burn speed with slower computers. I suggest you try a different media just to make sure it's not just the Riteks.
    Quote Quote