VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Marsia Mariner
    So here it is, GCC 7.2.0 for the MSYS2 environment.
    Again, the file os_defines.h in the source-code was modified so that ffms can be safely added to the 64-bit editions of x264.exe.
    Code:
    #ifdef __x86_64__
    #define _GLIBCXX_LLP64 1
    #define _GLIBCXX_USE_WEAK_REF 0
    #endif
    I tested the new compiler against L-Smash, and everything went fine.
    It's interesting that GCC 7.2 took "only" 1 hour and 39 minutes to be compiled on my ancient quadcore...
    GCC 7.1 required 2 hours and 15 minutes (ouch).
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    snip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tried to use 7.2.0 in rdp's ffmpeg build script ... well, so much for that

both of these

Code:
    download_extract "http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-$gcc_ver/gcc-$gcc_ver.tar.xz" "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-$gcc_ver/gcc-$gcc_ver.tar.xz"

download_extract "http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-$gcc_ver/gcc-$gcc_ver.tar.gz" "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-$gcc_ver/gcc-$gcc_ver.tar.gz"
    result in stuff like the below. Suggestions welcomed on what the error message means.

Code:
    [32/55]: Extracting gcc-7.2.0.tar.gz... pax: Unable to create gcc-7.2.0/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/25_algorithms/stable_partition/requirements/explicit_instantiation/: Is a directory
    pax: Unable to create gcc-7.2.0/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/25_algorithms/stable_partition/requirements/explicit_instantiation/: Is a directory
    pax: Unable to create gcc-7.2.0/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/25_algorithms/stable_partition/requirements/explicit_instantiation/: Is a directory
    Of interest, 7.1.0 works ok.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Marsia Mariner
    Of interest, 7.1.0 works ok
    Weird, to say the least

Still, I don't see what the choice of a different version of GCC would have to do with the extraction of a downloaded archive

BUT, and FWIW:

Code:
    [32/55]: Extracting gcc-7.2.0.tar.gz... pax: Unable to create gcc-7.2.0/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/25_algorithms/stable_partition/requirements/explicit_instantiation/: Is a directory
    The .TAR.xz archive that contains the source-code of GCC 7.2 is different from the previous ones.
    It does contain a "Pax.header" file that confuses my old 7-Zip (v. 15.12) and my old WinRAR (v. 5.31) as well
    I had to use the tar.exe from my (somewhat old) MSYS2 environment for extracting the contents of the archive without errors
    (namely, the creation of duplicate files (or directory entries) and even a con file that cannot be erased by Windows itself
    — I had to use WinRAR to rename the invalid file and thus remove the directory tree in which it was inserted).
    Last edited by Marsia Mariner; 3rd Sep 2017 at 11:34. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    something along these lines seemed to work
    Code:
      tmp_gcc_ver=${gcc_ver//./_} # eg 7_2_0 # ${string//substring/replacement} Replace all matches of $substring with $replacement.
      set -x
      svn checkout svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/tags/gcc_${tmp_gcc_ver}_release gcc-"$gcc_ver" 
      echo "tmp_gcc_ver = \"${tmp_gcc_ver}\""
      cd gcc-"$gcc_ver" 
      svn update 
      cd '..'
      set +x
    where gcc_ver contains string "7.2.0"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Marsia Mariner
    Not so off-topic...

Originally Posted by DeadSix27
    It's not really a problem with gcc I think, it's an issue with pax.. I use tar too instead of pax, which seems to work just fine and so far nothing broke with the gcc update as far as i can tell..
    source: https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers/issues/259

Compiling GCC 5.5 and 6.4 this time... with 5.5 everything went fine, but with 6.4 the «pax trouble» strikes again.
    Again I had to extract the .tar file with 7-Zip and unpack it with tar.exe itself.
    I had never heard of "pax" until I decided to compile GCC 7.2...
    Typical *nix+FOSS stubbornness, sadly.
    Quote Quote