VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The data shows that there are/were 3,846 Seagate 3TB drives on which this data is based.
    Nope!

Almost all the Seagate models performed worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    technology exists to make hard drives never fail...why do we continue to waste our money on flawed technology?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    technology exists to make hard drives never fail...
    Obviously you are wrong, nothing in the world never fails.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    technology exists to make hard drives never fail...
    Obviously you are wrong, nothing in the world never fails.

Hardly....just ask Obama
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    The data shows that there are/were 3,846 Seagate 3TB drives on which this data is based.
    Nope!

It is actually more than a simple "failure rate". It also matters on "how it fails" and "are there warning signs".

All drives fails under the law of thermodynamics... but a good drive will show warning signs before it becomes inaccessible, such as:
    > increasing "re-allocated sector count"
    > lengthening seek-time, spin-up time
    > unusual heat and sound

What I was pissed off by Seagate is the SUDDEN failure.
    Nothing unusual from SMART data, then I disconnet it, seal it in a zip-bag, then after one month... plug it into the USB port -> unrecognized device/partition

If one BIG batch of product is defective, and the company does not recall it(and pretends nothing happened), that well deserve punishment
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  6. Deceased
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    I disconnect it, seal it in a zip-bag, then after one month... plug it into the USB port -> unrecognized device/partition
    Was the "zip-bag" static shielded or at least anti-static, or just a plastic bag left over from holding your sandwich?

The oem shiny bags that bare drives often ship with are typically static shielded. Pink bubble bags are usually just anti-static (and there is debate about their utility).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by blimey View Post
    Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    I disconnect it, seal it in a zip-bag, then after one month... plug it into the USB port -> unrecognized device/partition
    Was the "zip-bag" static shielded or at least anti-static, or just a plastic bag left over from holding your sandwich?

The oem shiny bags that bare drives often ship with are typically static shielded. Pink bubble bags are usually just anti-static (and there is debate about their utility).
    Since it is an USB External Drive by design, I just use a typical sandwich zip-bag.
    That's not a big issue as I have other WD (internal) drives that sits naked on external HDD Docks for a whole year and runs fine.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    I bought 6 x 3TB in August 2013. In December 2014 one died, then in January another died.

To get them replaced under warranty was more than 60% of the original purchase price because PC-DIY in Melbourne refused to honor the warranty forcing me to send them back directly to Singapore. Or if I wanted to cut the return cost I could send them seamail and they would take up to 3 months to arrive at Seagate, by which time the RMA would have run out (it only lasts 30 days).

I haven't usually had problems with Seagate drives, and having two fail within days of each other was disappointing. But the appalling service here in AU for Warranty is just plain ridiculous.
    Seagate have an agent in Australia. Sydney if I remember correctly (I'm in Melbourne). The address is available on the Seagate site when you fill out the RMA form. I had to return drives two or three times (I bought two of the 500MB drives that had firmware issues) and while having to return them several times was disappointing, the turnaround time was only about four days. They obviously keep replacements in stock and send them as soon as they receive the faulty drives so I'll at least give them credit for providing efficient service.

The last time I returned the drives I'd been slack and left them sitting in a draw for quit a while (maybe a year) as they had a five year warranty. When I checked on the Seagate site the warranty had two days left on it, so I filled out the RMA form, sent the drives off about a week later and the replacements arrived three or four days after that. They're still working fine, but I only use them for external storage so they're not used a lot.

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yeah I was looking at those charts from another thread, Hitachi Deathstars........
    LMAO!!!
    I have seen more actual failures from hitachi deskstars than any other HDD made over the last 10 years by a large percentage!!!

I would not use one if it was given to me for free for anything important that I did not want to lose.
    I think they're a lot more reliable these days. Well admittedly I've only ever owned one, but it's power on hours totals a little over four years. For the last year or so it's been lying on it's side on the floor running off a SATA and power cable hanging out the rear of the PC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi.gif
Views:	419
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	30199
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Nope!

Maybe, but they own more Seagate drives than any other brand, and they appear to be the oldest, at least on average, but they only provide the average age for each type of drive so it doesn't mean much. And many of those drives are the model that's known to have problems which probably skews the results a bit, as a particular model of hard drive being unreliable isn't exactly something unique to Seagate.

I'm not saying the results look particularly good for Seagate, but it's not statistically sound enough to put me off buying Seagate drives, and I've had a bad experience with Seagate drives myself.

I'm fairly sure the oldest working hard drive in this house is a Seagate. I'd have to check to be completely sure, but if I'm correct it's a 20GB drive in an old Pentium 3 PC that's still used daily.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Think it's time to bump this thread...

8TB drives have dropped to less than half of what they were less than three years ago!

Best Buy, Amazon (USA) have Seagate or WD 8TB external drives for $149.99 (F/S). Newegg has the Seagate for $149.36 (after coupon, F/S). The WD external is particularly interesting because some (with model number ending in NESN) contain WD Red NAS drives. More details here:https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/8tb-wd-easystore-149-99.2511905/

I have a number of WD drives I got in the past few weeks and the two I've opened are WD Red NAS.

The WD drives were as low as $130 on Black Friday ($140 at BB a couple days ago as a Doorbuster), but seem to have settled into ~$150. They were regularly going on sale at ~$160 the past few months.

Yes, if you remove them from the case (really easy on the WD with three gift / credit cards or 5 guitar picks, not sure about the Seagates), you void the warranty, but at less than $20 / TB, it's worth the risk to me. Between the "real" internal drives (i.e. with full warranties, WD, Seagate, HGST) I have and these, I should be good for next couple of years.

On a somewhat related note, 10TB internal HGST drives are $300 (after coupon) at Newegg. These have a 3 year warranty. My personal choice was the 10TB WD Gold drives for $350 which come with a 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by lingyi; 11th Dec 2017 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!