VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    You do realize that it has been proved that the output from MultiAVCHD as blu ray video is NOT playable in all blu ray players? It works for most, but not all players. And I had issues playing blu ray produced by MulitAVCHD in one software player, which I no longer use (TMT 3).

The tool that you are using works ok for your own casual use if you have tested the output in all your players, but it isn't making video that is absolutely compliant to blu ray specs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could you provide a link to the proof please. I'm only interested in it working on Bluray players that you connect to your TV. However I have TMT 3 and it works fine for me!

What software do you use to encode to h264 before you author in MultiAVCHD? I use x264 and I've never had any problems.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 24th Jun 2013 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VideoFanatic,

For example, I have encoded a m2ts file which apparently seems 100% bluray compatible but it misses major specs. And, I know where I missed and what I missed.

media info:
    General
    ID : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name : Sample NOT BD Compliant.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 26.7 MiB
    Duration : 1mn 41s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 220 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Duration : 1mn 41s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 899 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 1 800 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : MBAFF
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.229
    Stream size : 22.9 MiB (86%)
    Writing library : Eureka 10.10 [UTC 2010-10-10]
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Duration : 1mn 40s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 2.70 MiB (10%)

Even-though all major Japanese brands Blu-ray player plays it flawlessly, it does not meet major specs and it is not MBAFF. I leave it up to the reader to figure out. I would not bother myself as long as all major brands Blu-ray player plays it flawlessly. But, it would be my lack of knowledge at the time of encoding.
    And you know guys, barrier of knowledge really sucks.

Sony's DVD Architect and Adobe Encore on the other hand will create BD compliant BDMV structure, doesn't matter what you feed it with. They will re-encode video or not. The trick is to find a way what to feed those programs so they will not re-encode if you insist to encode it yourself in another program. But most doesn't bother, just load video in it and those programs will re-encode it to standard. They might not like one parameter and they will re-encode. Just like that interlace H.264, where in that case it is MBAFF and I guess DVD Architect doesn't not like that. Even it is ok with Blu-Ray.
    What do you expect from freebies where professional programs can not perform upto the specs.
    What do you expect from the skilled operator if you provide him/her broken tools?
    Last edited by enim; 24th Jun 2013 at 18:36.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    My personal experience was making blu ray video from dvds. The output from MultiAVCHD would play correctly in every software player except TMT3, where it stuttered badly. Commercial blu ray played fine in TMT 3, and in the newer TMT 5 that I have.

I believe jman98 has reported that output from MultiAVCHD simply won't work in his blu ray player. And you hear of similar problems if you follow blu ray authoring threads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll rest my case since if the program, despite its claims (the write up on this site where it says " multiAVCHD allows you to turn a bunch of MKV, M2TS, TS, VOB, AVI files and a bunch of DVD, Blu-ray/AVCHD/BDMV folders into disc with a simple menu structure that should play on Blu-ray players." Note the word 'SHOULD' appears more accurate) ,is not making a fully compliant blu-ray.

Nice pic from the program. Had competely forgot what you called yourself on this site before the re-invention. Offensive? Nah. You do not know the meaning of the word.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I encode videos with x264 then I author in MultiAVCHD. They work fine for me. I've made discs for lots of other people as well and I've never heard of discs not playing.

DB83: Who the hell do you think you are you to tell me what I find offensive? Yes I do know the meaning of the word "offensive". Maybe you should look up the meaning yourself and review some of the past comments you've made to me so you can make the connection. Now please leave me alone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you think I am offending you - maybe ,again using your own, you should post some examples - you should know by now what to do and let others decide.

If you feel offended by being reminded of what you post in the past then I am truly sorry for you.

You yourself wrote that you changed your ID to avoid stalkers. Maybe you regard me as one. But what I find in many of your topics is that you ask for assistance but dispell it since you believe you already know better. In fact there are several examples of that attitude in this topic.

I will leave you alone now until the next topic that catches my eye.
    Quote Quote  
  8. encode videos with x264 then I author in MultiAVCHD. They work fine for me. I've made discs for lots of other people as well and I've never heard of discs not playing.
    Be Happy!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well if you think I am offending you - maybe ,again using your own, you should post some examples - you should know by now what to do and let others decide.

If you feel offended by being reminded of what you post in the past then I am truly sorry for you.

You yourself wrote that you changed your ID to avoid stalkers. Maybe you regard me as one. But what I find in many of your topics is that you ask for assistance but dispell it since you believe you already know better. In fact there are several examples of that attitude in this topic.

I will leave you alone now until the next topic that catches my eye.
    People are quite capable of reading your past posts so I don't need to post examples. Why on earth would I be offended by being reminded of the past posts I made? It's your comments that I was offended by.

Being sorry for me is not an apology. I don't need to let others decide what comments of yours they found offensive! What matters is that I found some of your comments offensive so I told you that. Anything I said to you was retaliation for what you said to me.

If I thought I knew better I wouldn't ask for help now would I? Have you never had an answer which you knew was wrong and that you know better? It's hardly a crime is it? It's not like I'm being sarcastic or insulting in my answers unless provoked by you.

I asked for proof that MultiAVCHD doesn't make fully Bluray compliant videos and nobody provided it to me. It works fine for me so until proven otherwise I do know better with regards to that.
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 24th Jun 2013 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To get back to what Kerry56 said...
    Yes, I owned a Momitsu region free BluRay player that could not play any format (I tried them all) that multiAVCHD could produce. Here's what we know.

Most Bluray players can play what multiAVCHD produces. Whether "most" means 51% or 99% I don't know. Probably I'd say it's 90% or better.
    A small number of Bluray players require multiAVCHD to produce only specific types of output or the player won't play it. This is no secret. The author himself has a list of known players that work this way and what they require. The documentation talks about it. There are even special settings in the program that specifically say that they have to be used with certain players.
    A very small number of players like mine unfortunately can't anything at all that multiAVCHD produces.

Nobody can ever satisfy your requirement to "prove" that multiAVCHD makes "fully compliant Bluray videos". And even if it did, it could still produce output that can't be played. There are no guarantees with consumer burnable media, dumbass. I have no problem with multiAVCHD but to loudly claim that ALL (your exact words) Bluray players can play what it produces is just incorrect. I'm sure it does work fine for you and the vast majority of its users. I wish it worked for me when I had that player. I really do. I wanted it to work. But again, you insist that it works for everybody that's just not true.

The only thing I can prove is that you sir are a dumbass. Your own words are all the testimony I need to make my case.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Then there is mpeg2 and it can be or not be blu-ray compliant.
    And it can be somewhat compatible in that it will play on many/most players but not truly full compliant.
    Stating something is fully compliant is different than "well it plays on my blu-ray player".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When it comes to authoring software (whether BD,DVD-Vid,DVD-Aud,SACD), there's compliant, then there's COMPLIANT, and then there's COMPLIANT!

MultiAVCHD falls under the first category, because the author of the app either reverse-engineered the details from other software or compliant discs, or read between the lines with public materials (or sneakily and temporarily got hold of actual spec materials). Softs like this seem to work surprisingly quite well: above 87%, but only work for VERY BASIC structure types, and even then, will never be supported by ALL players.

The 2nd type includes software where the author/company actually paid the $15k+/year licensing fees, so they have obtained the actual documents that lay out how every detail of the structure works (as well as common pitfalls to avoid). Encore & DVDArchitect fall under this group. These softs are NEVER free, or even super-cheap, as they have to recoup the licensing & development costs. They work in ~95% of the players with up to medium or medium-hard complexity. What separates these from the next group is the fact that RARELY are they considered acceptable as source material for commercial, PRESSED discs unless of quite easy complexity. For example, I don't think you'd find ANY from this or previous groups that can be used as sources for BD-J based material.

The last type are the BIG BOYS: Scenarist, BluPrint, DoStudio. They can do anything including BD-J, 3DBD, and as complex as the spec allows. They are regularly used as sources for commercial Hollywood, etc. pressed products. However, even they are not 100% compliant ALL THE TIME. They still have to go through Verification (and possible authoring fixes & reauthoring) at the pressing plant. They are like 99.5% compliant. Of course, they cost an arm & a leg!! And DON'T automatically come with encoders - that's extra!

If you want 100%, you are fooling yourself. If you want 99%+, you're going to have to pay the big bucks. For all else, you either go with tried & true PAYWARE and achieve ~95% compliancy, or you use cheapware or freeware and take your chances and live with it.

But stop the BS about MultiAVCHD being so compliant. Even the author knows/says it isn't. I do like it for what it's worth, but know its place it the big picture (and when to use it and when NOT to).

BTW, one difference about that MediaInfo thing: True BD-compliant uses BDMV not BDAV. There are probably others, but I don't have time...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OMG, this is still going on?

I'm afraid the O.P. won't be convinced, because he continues to suffer under the illusion that mkv and mp4 are "formats" -- which of course they are not. The original question was, what video and audio formats are BluRay compatible? No qualification here, understand -- just what is "compatible". One could define "compatible" as something that doesn't make your player explode, vomit, exude fumes or sparks, pee on the furniture, or sit staring at its owner and doing nothing forever. Or compatible could mean a video/audio presentation that is playable as its creator intended, on any and all BluRay players, assuming the players conform to defined standards and the video and disc conform to the same defined standards. The O.P. did not ask "which video and audio formats are AVCHD compatible -- which is a cool thing to omit, because BluRay and AVCHD are not the same thing.

The O.P. did not ask "which video and audio formats are compatible with my player?" Even though he didn't ask that question, he answered it anyway. But I can answer that what is compatible with his player isn't necessarily compatible with mine, nor with all standard, kosher BluRay players. One answer to the "my player question" is to read the player's user manual. The other answer is that videos purporting to be BluRay and encoded/authored by myself with MultiAVCHD on my computer were playable on one of my BluRay players, but not on another of my players, nor on my brother-in-law's BD player. But they did play on his mother-in-law's BluRay player. That little test circuit helped convince me that I was at least making the discs according to MultiAVCHD's directions. But, being a stubborn type with an anal dark side like many members here, I repeated a similar test later. I got the same results, along with stares and giggles from relatives who wondered why the hell I was wasting my time ("Hey!/ Why don'tcha just go to the store and buy it. They might even have it on sale.") Figuring that results less than 100% didn't bode well, I removed MultiAVCHD and some other unreliable freebies, haven't been back since, and spent money for fully licensed, tested, and commercially successful encoders/authors/burners. So far, assuming I followed instructions, the paid stuff has had a compatibility rating of 100% -- and that includes my cheap brother-in-law's $60 player. And because, in the end, there really is such a thing as being too cheap.

I don't know what the question has become, but I remember what the title question was. The answer is that BluRay video format can be MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, with specific encoding required (AVC/h264, VC-1), plus a few more requirements. Audio formats are Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS HD, or Linear PCM.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Nobody can ever satisfy your requirement to "prove" that multiAVCHD makes "fully compliant Bluray videos". And even if it did, it could still produce output that can't be played. There are no guarantees with consumer burnable media, dumbass. I have no problem with multiAVCHD but to loudly claim that ALL (your exact words) Bluray players can play what it produces is just incorrect. I'm sure it does work fine for you and the vast majority of its users. I wish it worked for me when I had that player. I really do. I wanted it to work. But again, you insist that it works for everybody that's just not true.

The only thing I can prove is that you sir are a dumbass. Your own words are all the testimony I need to make my case.
    I guess name calling is easier than providing some links to a "multiAVCHD is not fully Bluray compliant" discussion from Doom9 or elsewhere. That's all the proof I asked for but nobody provided it.

You take things too literally. Like when I said MultiAVCHD makes Blurays and you actually thought I believed that it makes Bluray discs when it's obvious it doesn't - it makes files which you then burn to Bluray using burning software. So you're the dumbass.

Also how could I possibly know that MultiAVCHD makes Blurays that work on every player that exists? I was just referring to the many discs I've made for people who use lots of different players and they all worked. I did say that in a later post.

I asked you nicely before to leave me alone with regards to your offensive comments and you said you would but here you are again with the name calling. You can't seem to get your point across without attacking my character and I'm sick of it so I've added you to my blocked list so I can't see any posts you make. So I suggest you don't bother helping me in future. Now **** off and "help" someone else.

Sanlyn - I know MKV & MP4 are file containers I actually said that to you in post 19 - you were there!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    mkv/mp4 likely addressed to those who still think they're "formats". There are lots of those folks around. I don't even know how or why they got involved anyway, they had little to do with the question. Many don't realize that BluRay is MPEG revisited -- they would probably croak if they knew.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote