VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    looks like it's a clean and neat software to add watermark to video. Anyone tried it ? Does it worth the money? 29 bucks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why would anyone want to add a watermark to a video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. $29 sw for functionality that can easily be accomplished in probably every NLE for free? Man, that is rich.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    $29 sw for functionality that can easily be accomplished in probably every NLE for free? Man, that is rich.
    sw?? NLE?? what does that mean?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    software, nonlinear editor
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    software, nonlinear editor

but I can't find any easier software to add watermark to videos.
    Quote Quote  
  7. A watermark is just a image overlay with the opacity set to something less than 100%. I am confident all NLEs/compositing programs easily drop an image on top of a timeline, scale, position, and set the opacity to the desired level given that it is such a basic function. If you find one that can't, don't blame me; find one that can. I am not the right person to ask, but I am pretty certain that even Avisynth can do it.

But if you prefer spending $29 for a tool that does all that for you, go right ahead.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    A watermark is just a image overlay with the opacity set to something less than 100%. I am confident all NLEs/compositing programs easily drop an image on top of a timeline, scale, position, and set the opacity to the desired level given that it is such a basic function. If you find one that can't, don't blame me; find one that can. I am not the right person to ask, but I am pretty certain that even Avisynth can do it.

But if you prefer spending $29 for a tool that does all that for you, go right ahead.
    hi OK. In general . Could the process of adding watermark to videos cause too much load to CPU? My CPU is installed on motherboard that is not fully compatible, I often have to keep an eye on temperature. In addition, I do not have a display card. Is it OK to use those software?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    A watermark is just a image overlay with the opacity set to something less than 100%. I am confident all NLEs/compositing programs easily drop an image on top of a timeline, scale, position, and set the opacity to the desired level given that it is such a basic function. If you find one that can't, don't blame me; find one that can. I am not the right person to ask, but I am pretty certain that even Avisynth can do it.

yes i know, but that software could add watermark in a "bulky" way. It can add watermark to a number of videos /pictures at the same time. I know how to add watermark to pictures with GIMP but it has to do one by one it's a real trouble. so I am here to consult advice
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am not sure how to answer your questions. When it comes to adding something like an image to a timeline, that will hardly tax a cpu versus more intensive effects like noise reduction. Also, NLEs are made expressly for the purpose of cutting and editing as needed, so there is no "bulkiness"about them (if I understand your term correctly). I can make a watermark as visually appealing as anything out of a major studio. It is not hard although it may require a composting program like After Effects. However compositing programs have very steep learning curves compared to NLEs. If you have never used an NLE, you should really download one of the free options listed on this forum and give it a spin.

But here is my final word of advice. If I had to choose between spending $29 for sw that ONLY adds a watermark versus a few dollars more for an NLE that does that and soooo much more, I know which one I would choose. Just sayin'.
    Quote Quote  
  11. A simple overlay will not tax the CPU but presumably you will be re-compressing the video too. That may tax the CPU depending on what encoder and the settings you use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I am not sure how to answer your questions. When it comes to adding something like an image to a timeline, that will hardly tax a cpu versus more intensive effects like noise reduction. Also, NLEs are made expressly for the purpose of cutting and editing as needed, so there is no "bulkiness"about them (if I understand your term correctly). I can make a watermark as visually appealing as anything out of a major studio. It is not hard although it may require a composting program like After Effects. However compositing programs have very steep learning curves compared to NLEs. If you have never used an NLE, you should really download one of the free options listed on this forum and give it a spin.

But here is my final word of advice. If I had to choose between spending $29 for sw that ONLY adds a watermark versus a few dollars more for an NLE that does that and soooo much more, I know which one I would choose. Just sayin'.

NLE ? I still don't understand what it means by Non-linear...

what is the software that is a bit more than 29 that will do much more ? Please advise I ;ll take a look then. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    what is the software that is a bit more than 29 that will do much more ? Please advise I ;ll take a look then. Thank you
    Many free software do more - i can imagine ffmpeg, VirtualDub and many similar where overlay can be performed easily, more advanced AviUtil or even more advanced - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-editors-advanced .
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    Seeing that you are from Hong Kong, you may not be familiar with the word "linear." It has several meanings, but when used to describe video editing, it refers to edits which are done one after another, in chronological order. Before we edited video on computers, the only way to edit was to put your original video on a "source" video deck and, while playing the video on that deck, you would start and stop a second deck that was recording what was coming from the source deck. If you wanted to have a clip at the beginning of the source video to appear after video that was on a later section of that tape, you had to stop the source deck while keeping the recording deck paused; rewind the source deck; queue up to the "in" point for the next edit, and then start both the source and record deck simultaneously.

Non-linear editing frees you from having to transfer each segment of source video in this way, and instead lets you simultaneously assemble and edit all the video, from multiple cameras, recorded at different points in time.

IMHO the term is confusing: it never really properly described the difference between editing using tape decks vs. editing on a computer. And, when talking about editing digital video on a computer, there is no such thing as a linear editor, so it is confusing to talk about a non-linear editor because, unless you are using the computer to control two tape decks, there is no such thing as a linear editor on a computer.

I think the only possible reason to use the term "non-linear editor" rather than just "video editor" is that there are many simple editing programs that simply let you cut video and rearrange clips in time, but which don't let you do fades, add effects, titles, etc. Those types of editors are more properly called "cuts-only" editors, but I think many people (including me) often use the term "NLE" to describe editing software that is full-featured, and which lets you do very advanced things to your video.

Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    What is the software that is a bit more than 29 that will do much more ? Please advise I ;ll take a look then.
    If you are looking for a good entry-level editor, I like the entry level version of Sony Vegas (now owned by Magix). Others like Pinnacle Studio. Corel (who now owns Pinnacle Studio) also has another inexpensive editing program. The reason I like Vegas is that I found the user interface (UI) to be easy to understand but, of course, everyone has different reactions to how various programs work, so other will disagree.

Finally, you are asking a lot of very basic questions. A much quicker way to find the definition for many of these terms is to use Wikipedia. Hopefully you are allowed to view this in Hong Kong. Here is the Wikipedia entry for NLE:

Wikipedia Non-Linear Editing
    Quote Quote  
  15. I think johnmeyer meant to recommend VideoStudio from Corel. Pinnacle is also owned by Corel now but it has been a disaster for many years, being bought and sold by one company after another. It has always been full of bugs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think johnmeyer meant to recommend VideoStudio from Corel. Pinnacle is also owned by Corel now but it has been a disaster for many years, being bought and sold by one company after another. It has always been full of bugs.
    Yes that is the other program.

I started with Pinnacle Studio fifteen years ago when it was still owned by Pinnacle Systems, and it was buggy then, but it was also really easy to learn (probably the easiest-to-learn video editing program ever invented). I did not realize that it is still buggy. I do know many people who use it, and haven't heard that complaint for a long time so I thought it was relatively stable now, but I have absolutely no recent hands-on experience.

The OP should at least try it, if they still offer a free trial.

After founder Cowpland left Corel, back in the early 90s, they started acquiring all sorts of products (including the program from my first software company) and then "milking" them, a term that means they sell it and support it, but don't spend much money on further development.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post

When I think of a low cost, entry-level NLE that I would not hesitate purchasing (versus one of the many freeware options), the one that always come to mind is Sony Movie Studio. The base version is only $50 USD (just a "few" dollars more than the uMark sw), and there is even a free trial option which I strongly recommend. Adobe Premiere Elements is a second option, but it is a little pricier at ~$60 USD. Both of these options are the baby brothers of Sony's and Adobe's more advanced "pro" level NLE's which are called Vegas and Premiere Pro, respectively (technically, Sony no longer owns Vegas and now promotes Catalyst as their flagship editing suite). However, I would stay away from the big brothers if you are just getting started because not only are they more costly, they are much more advanced and thus have a steeper learning curve for first time video editors.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I did not realize that it is still buggy. I do know many people who use it, and haven't heard that complaint for a long time so I thought it was relatively stable now, but I have absolutely no recent hands-on experience.
    I don't have recent experience with it either. But I continue to see posts with problems.
    Quote Quote