VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for options/suggestions/alternatives for playing .VOB files on HDTV.
    I do not like playing them via direct connection of storage device (flash drive) to LG TV, because a control bar appears at bottom of screen every time a different .VOB file loads, and there's no way to set play for all .VOB files in folder.
    Language sometimes switches from English, or subtitles appear or don't appear, etc.- it's a mess.
    I had a great media player that played ripped DVD movies (.dvdmedia folder with _TS folder, .VOB files) using a RealTek chipset.
    It lasted 6-8 years and finally broke, couldn't flash the firmware to get it to reset.
    UEBO M100-US Portable 1080p USB 3.0 Media Player, 2.5" Internal HDD slot, DTS & Dolby Surround sound
    Last resort is to connect Mac to HDTV, open VLC player, enter full screen and play, but that's a hassle.
    I bought an Apple TV 3, but air play does not work well - video is jerky, not smooth.
    I bought $5 software VideoDrive to add movies to iTunes for playing via Apple TV 3.
    That works well, but .dvdmedia (.VOB) files are converted to .m4v that are less than 1/4 the size and reduced in quality.
    I would really like to be able to play my .dvdmedia (.VOB) files and not have to convert files.
    Any options for doing that other than connecting Mac to HDTV?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kodi app should play VIDEO_TS structure. So whatever media player can install it and run it, you might use it. Deinterlace is quite poor, as I tested it while back, so f playing true interlaced DVD's , but those are mostly home videos. Bought DVD's are mostly not interlaced.

Also you can consider systems that use Kodi such as OpenELEC , LibreELEC, that can be put on SD card and your media player just boots into them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Kodi app on my Mac and can play VOB files.
    Now if I can only find hardware . . .
    Can you recommend a media player?
    I've looked at tons and they all seem like junk - 25% to 33% negative reviews, break down in a matter of months
    Quote Quote  
  4. I knew that was going to happen, question which one.
    I have one of those "junks" and it works, but just with apps, don't care if video slithtly jerks or not because not using it much.
    This was debated before, you need some unit + wireless keyboard (about $25) because otherwise navigation with included remotes is almost useless.

About hundreds of choices. Right box with certain chipset for certain software. You can google tutorials how to make it work with RapsberryPi3.

Or as an example whats going on right now , you can go with https://www.amazon.com/Android-Amlogic-Quad-core-Cortex-A53-Ethernet/dp/B07SJZJ39Z and install CoreELEC that I just read was recommended on other forum, if it works and how not sure, here is tut how to make CoreELEC work with that above mentioned unit: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s905x3-x96air-p2-p3-4-32gb-1gbit-lan-how-to-config/8670

I'd do the same way, look for those tuts that install a system for particular unit with particular chipset.
    Guys doing that are sensitive and want correct playback. Correct frame rates without jerks, that you experience if you just using Android box and Kodi app on it. If Kodi worked 100% just like that, then it would not be that common to bother with those: install xxxxELEC system on that particular yyyy Android unit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went with this - https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-n2-coreelec-edition?_pos=1&_sid=3588036b1&_ss=r
    Hope it works out.
    My UEBO M100 could pass through DTS and HD, just not 4K.
    It was $60 free ship.
    Sure miss it. Worked great until I couldn't reflash chipset.
    Quote Quote