VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm newly registered but a longtime lurker here. I'm doing some audio preservation from some of the Theater CDrom's that DTS would send with films. They obviously changed their ways a bit after the aptX leak which obviously made it far more difficult to retrieve any audio from the newer CD's.

Has there been any updates regarding access to the audio on these....I'm looking at discs circa 2005?

Thanks for any information ........ and thanks for having such an informational forum.

Last edited by JetrellFo69; 10th Dec 2012 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know only a little about those discs, but am interested: tell us more of what you know (background-wise)...

Are these discs using industry-standard media & formatting? (e.g.: Yellow Book CDR using ISO9660, or DVD-R using UDF 2.0...)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I'm interested in this subject too

BTW, have you also posted this question on other sites besides Videohelp

For example, avsforum or ( as a "last resort" ), Hydrogenaudio...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, it wasn't me that posted those but I did read those posts...just trying to learn. At one time there was a member here who offered to help someone out with this but I haven't got any response from pm as of yet.

This particular subject takes a lot of patience apparently because there is actually very little on the net aside from questions like mine. I've read numerous pdf's from DTS on all their different machines, articles on the basics, I even downloaded some software to see if I could figure some things out in a PC environment and it's all been educational dead ends really.

I know the audio is designed for Theater use but I've seen people out there have used whitepapers to adjust all the channels and then refine them a bit for home theater. I just watched a version of Jurassic Park that used the theater audio to replace the Blu audio and it sounded awesome. The mix was clear and the detail was just incredible. DTS started using an .aue file format for their CDrom Theater audio...encrypted, I believe. In the end, it's getting around the drm that's the hardest. I believe Nokia uses this .aue audio format as well. Trying to find out any basic info on .aue has been long and without much success. It's why I finally decided to sign up and post. I figured this would be the best place to go next......
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JetrellFo69 View Post
    I figured this would be the best place to go next......
    Actually, we're probably not for a variety of reasons.

1) It's not likely, but not impossible, that anybody here has done this sort of thing. We're hobbyists and this sort of goes beyond normal type things we do like record TV shows, copy home VHS tapes to DVD/BD, etc.
    2) It's arguable that you may not have legal rights to those discs and as such it potentially opens up some nasty questions for our site if we continue to discuss it. I am just saying this off the top of my head as while I have no proof, I strongly suspect that DTS has a licensing agreement that forbids consumers ever getting their hands on those discs. DTS has non-disclosure agreements that they make people sign which legally limits their ability to say much at all on DTS. I don't remember who it was, but one of our long time members has admitted to signing such agreements in the course of his job. DTS has strongly enforced its desire to keep its technology as secret as possible so while there may be people who do know this kind of thing, they may be afraid to talk.

You may need to go to Doom9.net for this kind of thing. Unfortunately Doom9 is a crap shoot. They may well have members there who have the info you need, but will they care enough to share it with you? Hard to say. Or will they be afraid to share it with you, even if they want to?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. I'm just an hobbyist/enthusiast myself. All I've really been searching for is information. The discs I do have I acquired as a collector for home/personal enjoyment....never for any type of gain. I apologize if this topic shouldn't be discussed as I would never want to jeopardize anyplace where folks offer help to others.

I will keep searching. If this topic needs to be locked I will not complain.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/53274-Ok-guys-DTS-conversion-challenge-with-FACTORY-DTS-DISCS-!!

This was the thread that originally sparked my interest....some decent info in there and just enough to inspire me to search out some answers.

Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the challenge of decrypting the .AUE files still remains...

Anyway, if you feel sure that the APT-X tracks do sound better than the DVD-equivalent ones, you still have the option to "re-digitize" (and recompress *losslessly*) the analog output of the former ---
    --- assuming you have granted access to a proper hardware/licensed decoder, of course
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 11th Jul 2012 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M View Post
    Originally Posted by Jason A
    Well...first...this is a challenge to see if people can do this....sure you say you have the hardware to do it...I even have a a complete system except for the decoder..(playback unit, processor) but need a decoder...

This guy had a bunch of stuff....but again...this is a challenge....there's a few programs that can decode DTS time code and the SMPTE code...all that is left to demux is the audio..
    the dts-6 is a complete system except for amps and speakers - unless you want to add eq ..

i thought he wanted them decoded is all - which i can do for anyone .. didnt realize it was a challenge .. anyway a hint .. the dts.exe file has nothing to do with decoding ..
    there are two different types of DTS tme code .. one used for normal theatre releases and one used in some special dts-6D special venue player (all 6 channels are full range and changeover and lood loop disk work different) ..
    the type of dts time code found on the theatre disks you have there are mux'd with audio file and contain the serial and off set contin. w/ the type of sort of smpte time code dts uses (the special venue unit can read straight time code) .

its nice you are doing some high def work .. and no we dont work in 720p either for a long long time .. its all 1080p30 or 1080p48 and/or wavelet compression at higher resolutions ... hours and hours and hours of it .. as i do it (including color and image manipulation) for theatre and special venue releases, along with many commercial dvd film as its my profession in video and audio for over 30 years.. .

if someone doesnt need help - fine .. i thought i might be able to offer/impart a little Knowledge to this fine forum.
    I'd be interested in your help....learning can always be a challenge.

Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously ?!?!?!
    For real ?!?!?!

A TEN YEAR OLD THREAD ?!?!?!

Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I feel the same way, Noahtuck. If only it were possible after a certain time to stop posts in old threads...

We allow jerks to come back years later and delete all of the text of their postings but we are powerless to stop grave robbing. Unbelievable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    El Heggunte said ....

Well, the challenge of decrypting tha .AUE files still remains...

Anyway, if you feel sure that the APT-X tracks do sound better than the DVD-equivalent ones, you still have the option to "re-digitize" (and recompress *losslessly*) the analog output of the former ---
    I most certainly do enjoy that "theater" dts sound so much that I am currently looking into purchasing a cinema processor just to see how it works and to poke around a bit....learn something.

Archiving stuff like this can benefit everyone interested in it.....and I think it's historical importance has just as much value.

Last edited by JetrellFo69; 25th Dec 2012 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, instead of posting such remarks maybe a moderator or admin should have been asked to close this thread. This site came recommended from the other forum where I came from to look and learn. Maybe you were right....maybe this "isn't" the best place to be after all.

Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's not the issue, just make a NEW post asking what you need, not digging up a 10 year old thread thinking someone from the original post will still even be here, let alone reply......

I have been a member of many forums over the last 12 years and a lot won't even let you reply to a thread that is over a year old, 6 months, 2 years, etc.

It is kind of common knowledge, if oyu are familiar with online boards, not to dig up old post's, especially 10 years old!!
    It's called grave robbing, grave digging, etc.

And if that upset you, then you have no place on the internet because this is probably one of the top mildest sites for such remarks/replies......
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not upset.....just disappointed.....LOL

Could we get an admin or mod to lock this thread, it appears it would benefit everyone, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not upset.....just disappointed.....LOL

Could we get an admin or mod to lock this thread, it appears it would benefit everyone, thanks.
    So you do NOT know enough NOT to dig up a 10 year old thread yet you know enough to ask a mod to lock a 10 year old thread
    When you were the one digging it up.....

Is anyone else smelling this ?!?!?!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally hadn't paid any attention to the age of the thread when I first came across it and then posted in it, I really want to learn about this stuff.

1) Now, if you are considered a senior member then I'm confused by your heckling and sarcasm. It doesn't seem to promote any helpfulness of any kind aside from the personal satisfaction you seem to be enjoying by saying such things because you've been here longer than I have.

2) If you and jman are the welcoming committee here I can see why people leave....you two seem to be more interested in helping yourselves out than you do helping others......makes me wonder where all the help around here really went?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hmmm....., Jetrell, if you go digging many pages deep, don't you know they will be really old?
    I never have understood this either, it not only happens here but on many other forums as well.
    Someone will join a forum and then go to page 1 from years ago, reply to it with meaningless drivel.
    Suppose it may be possible for moderators to lock older threads and only unlock them only if it serves a good purpose?
    Let's look at it this way, even if this one learns the error of his way, there are no telling how many just like
    this will come along later.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    JetrellFo69-Please do no post in old threads,for this time i moved your post to a new thread.I also merged your other thread,please continue in this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    JetrellFo69-Please do no post in old threads,for this time i moved your post to a new thread.I also merged your other thread,please continue in this thread.
    As much as I appreciate the assistance johns0, merging those complaint comments in to this thread will probably make it next to impossible for this one to get any real responses as the comments will inspire others to complain about "grave robbing" instead of the intended subject matter, which seems to have already started.

My only interest was the subject matter, not the date of the "other thread". I actually found the thread originally through google....I never searched it out here on the site. My mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For those who ARE interested in this topic the new thread was closed.

This one is being left open....if you don't feel comfortable responding openly then please feel free to pm me. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by JetrellFo69; 10th Jul 2012 at 14:03. Reason: UPDATE
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman....Look, I'm perfectly okay with differing opinions but this is the second thread of mine you've come in to, to complain. If you have a personal issue with me, pm me, and we'll discuss it there. You say 99% of the members here have never seen such dics....how do you know? Have you asked them? Have they pm'd you personally to tell you? Such a comment is rather presumptuous wouldn't you say?

You don't have the right to decide to create a new thread just because you disagree with what a moderator did with your old one. It will likely just be a short time before this is closed.
    Since posting in an old one is not a good idea, I should be able to start a new one, correct?

My previous advice still stands - you're asking for advice that very likely nobody here can help you with for a variety of reasons. Probably 99% of our members have never even seen such discs. Also, the very few who know something about them may be forbidden by NDAs to talk about it here.
    I have not asked ANYONE to violate NDAs nor will I.

You seem to have this false belief that the information you seek is with 100% certainty here, but the moderators have somehow screwed you out of getting a response. Trust me - if anybody here could really help you, the old thread would have gotten a response.
    The moderator was doing their job....I'm good with that. Constant comments like yours in someone's thread does make others leery of responding...we've all seen it. Some users may think you're a moderator or admin and steer clear of threads for fear of being banned if they answer...it happens in almost every forum.

I appreciate your advice and I have no reason to fight with you or want to fight with you. I'm sure you feel the same. I've already got a response of 2 via pm and if that is how they feel comfortable discussing it then fine but I should be able to post some findings and possible resolutions (without breaching any legal issues) for others to consider, study, or toss out.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Jetrell, you might want to check over on myce.com, used to be called cdfreaks.
    If anyone knows anything and is willing to reply, it would be there since they should know about audio formats and the like.
    Actually some of their members post on this site regularly.
    My guess is you are SOL since no one has made a reply that can solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Jetrell, you might want to check over on myce.com, used to be called cdfreaks.
    If anyone knows anything and is willing to reply, it would be there since they should know about audio formats and the like.
    Actually some of their members post on this site regularly.
    My guess is you are SOL since no one has made a reply that can solve your problem.
    Thanks Steve I will check it out. My guess was the same as yours when the complaints came and the other thread got closed. I've been doing most of my research on my own anyways and since the discs I'm working with are already 7 years old maybe I'll get lucky.

At least you were kind enough to be cordial and not condescending.....I appreciate it greatly.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post

--- assuming you have granted access to a proper hardware/licensed decoder, of course
    I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on "re-digitizing"....feel free to pm me if you're not comfortable responding in the thread.

Cheers!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on "re-digitizing"....feel free to pm me if you're not comfortable responding in the thread.

Cheers!!!
    Well, as I said there are no big secrets, only a lot of money , time and effort.

After getting the .AUE decoder, connect the analog audio outputs to an appropriate analog2digital hardware, then just play and record Assuming the .AUE files minus encryption are the same as the .AUD files, you'll be recording five channels, since the LFE info is mixed with the surround channels. For best results, capture at 24-bits + 96kHz, and finally, compress to your favorite lossless format
    [ MLP, DTS-HDMA, WavPack, FLAC , whatever ].
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM

Cheers!!!
    Well, as I said there are no big secrets, only a lot of money , time and effort.

After getting the .AUE decoder, connect the analog audio outputs to an appropriate analog2digital hardware, then just play and record Assuming the .AUE files minus encryption are the same as the .AUD files, you'll be recording five channels, since the LFE info is mixed with the surround channels. For best results, capture at 24-bits + 96kHz, and finally, compress to your favorite lossless format
    [ MLP, DTS-HDMA, WavPack, FLAC , whatever ].
    I guess my next search will be for the .AUE decoder.....though I still haven't figured out what the .AUE stands for. I appreciate you taking the time to answer....it is appreciated. I'm always under the impression that audio is audio is audio...but ya never know.

Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did go over to MyCE and they were really nice over there. I got a nicer welcome reception too.

I got some info and I've decided I'm going to purchase a DTS-6AD processor so that I may further my research with some equipment. Anyone have some suggestions on connecting such a unit to a PC for testing? Suggestions and/or links would certainly be appreciated. I've already got some of the DTS software for these machines so I'm not going in blind.....LOL. If I can get some good tests I'd like to be able to share my results here for others who might want to know.

Cheers!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  29. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ OK, I've received your PM, but because my experience with digital audio recording is just amateurish ,
    I hope Scott will chime in again

Anyway, if your XP machine does have a GREAT sound card which lets you record 6 channels at the same time, just do it.

Otherwise, you'll have to record one "stereo pair" at a time, which will require more time and more patience, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I know only a little about those discs, but am interested: tell us more of what you know (background-wise)...

Are these discs using industry-standard media & formatting? (e.g.: Yellow Book CDR using ISO9660, or DVD-R using UDF 2.0...)

Scott
    They contain an .exe and a folder with audio & text data....I'm not sure what that falls under. I was always under the impression that they were CD-ROM.

^ OK, I've received your PM, but because my experience with digital audio recording is just amateurish ,
    I hope Scott will chime in again

Anyway, if your XP machine does have a GREAT sound card which lets you record 6 channels at the same time, just do it.

Otherwise, you'll have to record one "stereo pair" at a time, which will require more time and more patience, of course.
    As for this....I would not even know how to begin recording one "stereo pair" at a time. I'm not sure what kind of sound card I should have that would accept a signal from the machine.
    Last edited by JetrellFo69; 16th Aug 2012 at 19:39. Reason: Added quote...
    Quote Quote