VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I downloaded the Win7 Release Candidate from Microsoft, no big deal. Now, I have made several coasters out of my DVD+Rs, I can't get the ISO image to boot. I have used Nero (Express Essentials) and ImgBurn (v2.5.0.0), neither yields a bootable DVD disc. IDK what I am doing wrong? The Nero version I have does not include an option to make a "bootable" disc. This is driving me nuts. I have the partition all ready to go and can't get anything loaded into it.

Quote Quote  
  2. must not be a bootable iso.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    US, the Release Candidate. It's the file MS had me DL. It's 3.04GB, took me all day to DL. IDK what I did wrong. do I have to save it as an ISO image? I think it should already be in that format, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. yes all you have to do is save an iso. start imgburn, select that iso, click the write icon.

make sure that you have the cd/dvd drive selected as the first boot drive in your computers bios otherwise it will boot to windows.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you opened imgburn did you choose "Write image file to disc" and browse for the windows 7 iso file and select that?When you downloaded the file it should be an iso already and no need to save it as an iso.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's your pain... you're going to kick yourself.

first off, you have the right image.
    second - r u sure you want 64bit? The driver support isn't as good as 32bit.
    you really only need 64bit if you are going to run virtual machines or use more than 3Gig or ram. I would HIGHLY recommend that you use 32bit.

ok...
    The Win7 RC image is not a bootable image. it is an upgrade from existing installation... so it doesn't boot.
    Run it from your installed Windows

btw, Win7 ROCKS!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallymax
    Here's your pain... you're going to kick yourself.

first off, you have the right image.
    second - r u sure you want 64bit? The driver support isn't as good as 32bit.
    you really only need 64bit if you are going to run virtual machines or use more than 3Gig or ram. I would HIGHLY recommend that you use 32bit.

ok...
    The Win7 RC image is not a bootable image. it is an upgrade from existing installation... so it doesn't boot.
    Run it from your installed Windows

btw, Win7 ROCKS!
    Sure the Win 7 RC is bootable

I installed it on all 3 of my desktop PC's "from scratch"

ps 64 bit support has been better than XP or Vista was

imho

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to install it as a dual-boot OS, so I can keep WinXPpro and switch between them. This is my first time attempting a dual-boot setup, which is why it's driving me nuts that my discs won't just boot. I am very appreciative of everyone for his/her help.

"ocgw", did your burned discs just fire right up? How'd you do that?

As for the 64 versus 32bit... I think it's time we all clawed our way out of the stone age of limited memory capacity and limited performance and just let 32bit become extict--like it should have long ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I installed Win7RC (32 bit) as a dual boot with XP Pro. It loaded on boot.

I used a simple iso burn with imageburn.

Test your boot order with another bootable CD/DVD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem is not unusual .... I too burned quite a few coasters. If you have any available ... try using DVD rewritables ... the burn speed is slower and less chance of wasting blank DVDs. It is the ... Install.wim ... file ... it can be a bitch to burn correctly on a DVD disk.

I've been chasing the Win 7 race since late Jan 2009 ... everytime a new build came out I downloaded it and tried it out ... I finally stopped having burning problems when I started using rewritable DVDs.

If you need more help ... try this website ... http://win7vista.com/index.php

All your questions ... will be answered there. The people there are friendly.

You will need to register ... to see ... ALL ... the stuff there ... I did. VIP status is a must if you want that site to rock for you.

As for dual boot .... create 2 partitions on the Drive you are going to use. Install WINXP first .... and then install WIN 7.

WIN 7 ... will create a boot manager menu ... when your reboot your PC ... you will have two choices to boot too ... WINXP or WIN 7 ........... samething for XP and Vista .... install WINXP first ... Vista does the same thing ... I use Vista Ultimate x64 and I also use WIN 7 Ultimate x64 ... my WIN XP install is .... WIN XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I tried to have all three on one drive ... spread out over 3 partitions ... Vista clashed with WIN 7 .... but if I have a second harddrive mounted in my PC ... I can boot up WIN 7 ... but I am then using the BIOS boot screen ... by hitting ... my F12 button ... or is it my ... Delete ... button .... hmmm ... its one of them. From there I boot up the drive that WIN 7 is installed on.

Thats works.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe you just don't have your DVD set as first boot device

How do you know the burns were coasters?
    Did Nero and/or Imgburn report failures?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already have WinXP installed. Do I have to do the backup, wipe and clean install of XP... I've read a few things that say that. They might just be assuming you are doing two fresh installs?
    Quote Quote  
  13. You could also use it in a virtual PC. You would not need to burn the disc. The virtual pc could do the install from the file downloaded from Microsoft.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Partition Magic 8 .... and in WINXP ... it is easy to create a second partition ... just use the resize feature and make the drive you have WinXP installed on ... smaller. Then create another partition ... 40 GB will be enuff. and be sure to format it.

When you reboot ... do you attempt to hit the key on your keyboard that displays your choices of what to boot to ??

Choose the DVD drive that the WIN7 disk is in ... if the disk is working ... you will see quite a few messages and choices to install the OS to what partition you have created. Do you see any of those messages at all ??

After you have seen those choices and have chose what partition to install to ... allow WIN7 format that drive partition and then click ... next ... or is it ... continue .... and it will begin installing.

When you put the disk in and reboot .... do see the message ... " Press any key to ......... "

I didn't see any reply from my last message to you ... please acknowledge you read my message and understand what I'm saying ... even if you dont understand ... let us know anyways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to install it as a dual-boot OS, so I can keep WinXPpro and switch between them.
    I have been using build 7100 for a few months, have had no problem using the latest Imgburn; I just finished creating 16 ISOs from my family video disks (just for storage/backup). Imgburn performed without one coaster. Check that you downloaded the latest Imgburn. The only problem I have (same as you) is setting up a dual boot with my existing XP Pro OS on an IDE drive. The computer always defaults to booting the XP drive and ignoring the SATA drive with W7. I have tried every jumper/select configuration possible, no go. BIOS sees both drives, refuses to boot to the W7. So... I have the side of the case off and swap power plugs, and each boots perfectly.

Another wierd thing that happens is that if I reboot W7 the OS will boot, but it is like it is in overdrive. You cannot type, if you hit one key you will instantly get a dozen identical letters. I must shut down and turn off the power supply at the PS switch, wait a slow count of 10 until the power light on the case goes dark, then turn on the switch and it boots normally. No problems booting the XP/IDE drive. Anyone else have that problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand
    I am trying to install it as a dual-boot OS, so I can keep WinXPpro and switch between them.
    I have been using build 7100 for a few months, have had no problem using the latest Imgburn; I just finished creating 16 ISOs from my family video disks (just for storage/backup). Imgburn performed without one coaster. Check that you downloaded the latest Imgburn. The only problem I have (same as you) is setting up a dual boot with my existing XP Pro OS on an IDE drive. The computer always defaults to booting the XP drive and ignoring the SATA drive with W7. I have tried every jumper/select configuration possible, no go. BIOS sees both drives, refuses to boot to the W7. So... I have the side of the case off and swap power plugs, and each boots perfectly.

Another wierd thing that happens is that if I reboot W7 the OS will boot, but it is like it is in overdrive. You cannot type, if you hit one key you will instantly get a dozen identical letters. I must shut down and turn off the power supply at the PS switch, wait a slow count of 10 until the power light on the case goes dark, then turn on the switch and it boots normally. No problems booting the XP/IDE drive. Anyone else have that problem?
    Dude ... you definitely have some kind of problem ... did you get your keyboard wet ?? Drip some water on it ??

I would refuse to have a PC running that way ... I'd be checking for new motherboard .... keyboards ... mouse ... the whole sheebang.

The only problem I have and it is once in awhile is my wireless logitech mouse acts stupid and when I switch over to my wired mouse ... the problem is over.

My computer specs in my profile are up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, lacywest... I saw the message, sorry about the appearance that I ignored it..

I haven't tried the function boot key thing yet, I'll have to check my mobo manual and see which key it is (I've never done that before). I will do that soon and see if it works.

I may be having a problem similar to ranchhand, it that the mobo refuses to see my SATA DVD drive first--I have an older IDE DVD drive, too--despite my BIOS settings.

I know one of the discs works, so I'm going to disconnect the IDE drive and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, fellas, this is good news! I am currently IN Windows 7RC! This thing just fires right up... I can't believe how easy it is.

I had to unplug the IDE DVD-ROM drive in order for the BIOS in my mobo to allow the SATA drive to run first. I tried to use the IDE drive for the boot and it just wouldn't. I don't get that at all...

Thank you to all who gave his/her input and assistance. I'm not having any trouble...yet. *fingers crossed*
    Quote Quote