VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hello i know that youtube encode your already encoded video and you lose some quality whatever you do,but i don't think that is normal what just happened in my case
    I recorded a video with bandicam , settings:
    resolution 1366x768
    codec H264(NVIDIA@NVENC)
    quality 100
    format Mp4
    fps 60
    bitrate 8.000 kbs
    audio AAC 192kbs

i rendered in filmora x with the exact same settings, and the quality was the same, crystal clear.
    Then i uploaded the video and youtube uploaded it exactly like this:
    resolution 1276x720
    bitrate 2200kbs
    fps 30
    audio 129kbs

My pc :
    1366x768 monitor
    motherboard A320M-S2H V2
    processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    16GB ram
    500GB HDD
    video card NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
    windows 10

My question is why is this happening , the problem is at me or at youtube ? what can i do to improve my uploads quality. I tried all the resolution my pc and monitor could handle,bitrate range from 1.000kbs to 200.000kbs fps from 24 to 120 , every codec available in bandicam , i also tried other recording programs ,OBS ,Shadowplay and Dixtory with the same results.

Here is the screenshot of the video on youtube
    https://imgur.com/a/uZTK2KM#VrPUVG9

Here is the screen of the rendered and ready to upload file
    https://imgur.com/a/qbNP6f4#VQPPm6f
    Quote Quote  
  2. If that's from a high action shot it looks about normal for youtube.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, that degree of degradation is expected - and it's not you, it's all YT's fault

One YT "trick" is to upscale the video and view that upscaled version on a smaller display. The scaled up version looks better with more details, fewer artifacts, than the version at original resolution. The problem is it takes more bandwith up/downloading, and more resources to playback smoothly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I learned to not encode for youtube, I just feed it a SD lossless video, de-interlaced and upscaled to 1440x1080 and let youtube handles the encoding part on its own, Though my files are analog tape captures with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes, that degree of degradation is expected - and it's not you, it's all YT's fault

One YT "trick" is to upscale the video and view that upscaled version on a smaller display. The scaled up version looks better with more details, fewer artifacts, than the version at original resolution. The problem is it takes more bandwith up/downloading, and more resources to playback smoothly
    i actualy tried to record with Fraps at 1920x1080 and upload and it looks way way better ,somewhere between 720p and 1080 , but on youtube it loses more than half of the frames and it stops literally every 3 seconds
    can you please tell me a suggestion of a resolution to upscale my videos to? i mean, you say that i should record it at my native resolution 1366x768 and upscale it after or record it upscaled?
    i understand that my 1366x768 monitor is very limited for youtube,and i have real expectetions, i mean ,i just want it a little better, you can't even read properly the text on my current recordings
    Last edited by faust21; 28th Mar 2021 at 09:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really my field but try the following as an experiment.

1. Capture at your monitors resolution but at 30 fps
    2. Output at a good bitrate (5000 kbps or more) upscaled to 1920*1080
    3. Upload and compare.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by faust21 View Post
    i understand that my 1366x768 monitor is very limited for youtube,and i have real expectetions, i mean ,i just want it a little better, you can't even read properly the text on my current recordings
    That fuzzy text is very easily explained. You uploaded a 1366x768 video to youtube. Youtube resized it to 1280x720 (they never encode at 1366x768). When you watch that 1280x720 video full screen it is resized again back to 1366x768. Those two resize operations caused the small text to get blurry:

[Attachment 58102 - Click to enlarge]

On the left is your 1366x768 upload image, resized to 1280x720 then resized again to 1366x768. On the right is is your youtube image. You can see the distortions are almost exactly the same.

To avoid this you want to play, capture, and upload at one of the frame sizes that youtube supports. 1280x720 is probably best in your case. Of course, when you watch the 1280x720 youtube video full screen on your 1366x768 monitor the resizing will still lead to some blurring. But, at least, the video at youtube will still have the sharp text.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Mar 2021 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by faust21 View Post
    Yes, that degree of degradation is expected - and it's not you, it's all YT's fault

i actualy tried to record with Fraps at 1920x1080 and upload and it looks way way better ,somewhere between 720p and 1080 , but on youtube it loses more than half of the frames and it stops literally every 3 seconds
    can you please tell me a suggestion of a resolution to upscale my videos to? i mean, you say that i should record it at my native resolution 1366x768 and upscale it after or record it upscaled?

I'm not saying record at 1920x1080.

What I'm saying is your original video, recorded at your screen resolution, later upscaled to some higher resolution before uploading to youtube will look significantly better on a smaller display when youtube streams it back - even though it only started life at that lower resolution. The reason is higher bitrate on the upscaled version and it's essentially oversampled when it's downscaled for playback. There are diminishing returns, but even 1920x1080 will look significantly better when played and scaled down at your display resolution

You have a GTX 1080, it should be fine for YT playback - make sure HW acceleration is enabled in your browser
    Quote Quote  
  9. I took a 1280x720 starting video. I upscaled one to 1920x1080, one to 3840x2160, both scaled using spline36resize, all 3 used libx264 crf 18.

These screenshots were viewed in the cinema mode on a 1080p display, which scales it to smaller viewing area. I cropped roughly to the active image area for the screenshots, It ends up being close to 1280x720 active image area (a bit smaller)

The first is the 720p version with the 720p version selected for playback; the 2nd is the 1080p with 1080p selected, the 3rd is the UHD selected version

There is no added detail . I started with 720p. The 1080p and UHD versions look soft before I uploaded them. There is nothing special going on with the upscaling algorithm. It's all in how youtube allocates more bitrate to the higher resolutions and how it's downscaled for the display by the YT player

There is a large difference in detail retention and artifacts. The UHD version looks almost like the original local 720p version

a_720
    [Attachment 58103 - Click to enlarge]

a_1080
    [Attachment 58104 - Click to enlarge]

a_2160
    [Attachment 58105 - Click to enlarge]

b_720
    [Attachment 58108 - Click to enlarge]

b_1080
    [Attachment 58106 - Click to enlarge]

b_2160
    [Attachment 58107 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    To avoid this you want to play, capture, and upload at one of the frame sizes that youtube supports. 1280x720 is probably best in your case. Of course, when you watch the 1280x720 youtube video full screen on your 1366x768 monitor the resizing will still lead to some blurring. But, at least, the video at youtube will still have the sharp text.
    i just changed my monitor resolution to 1280x720 and watched my youtube videos, indeed they look better this way,but i don't understand, i tried to record and upload at 1280x720 and it didn't look as good as in the case of recording at 1366x768 and letting youtube make it 1280x720
    Last edited by faust21; 28th Mar 2021 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is no added detail . I started with 720p. The 1080p and UHD versions look soft before I uploaded them. There is nothing special going on with the upscaling algorithm. It's all in how youtube allocates more bitrate to the higher resolutions and how it's downscaled for the display by the YT player
    thanks for the experiment , i understand now, i need a new monitor
    also youtube change the bitrate for my videos to around 2.000 kbs wich is bad even for their standards
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by faust21 View Post
    thanks for the experiment , i understand now, i need a new monitor
    Actually no; It's showing how your existing video can be made to look better on your existing monitor by upscaling , and selecting the upscaled version for playback.

Those screenshots were native 1:1 , just cropped. They are ~ 720 , you should see the difference on your monitor

Originally Posted by faust21 View Post
    also youtube change the bitrate for my videos to around 2.000 kbs wich is bad even for their standards
    Exactly, low bitrate is the main reason for the quality loss

The upscaled versions have more bitrate allocated but spread over a larger frame size (they still look like garbage at 1920x1080 and UHD. But they look ok a small dispaly)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Good, i have a better understanding of how things works now, thank you all for your answers
    Quote Quote