VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have this older pc..run great last year..but I havent ran it in a while..went to turn it on today..nothing..fan on the ps doesnt turn on..no clicks beeps or anything..one of my questions..If I take out the ps and plug it up should at least the fan in it come on if it is good?

and of course what should I look for here?on why it wont turn on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Power supplies die all the time. In fact, the PS is the most frequently replaced part on all the PCs I ever owned. Give yours a burial with honors, buy a new PS, and get on with your life.
    Quote Quote  
  3. But do they die while turned off ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. They die when turning them back on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, Something did, now didn't it?

The power supply is the most likely, and is also one of the easiest and cheapest to replace.

What actually most likely happened is that it died a second or two after being switched on. However, it is also worth checking if there is a switch on the back which may have been flipped off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most likely time is the same death as lightblulbs. it happens the instant power is applied. would appear to have died while off, as it would not supply any power to the m.b.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. you can return it to Antec if you bought less than 3 years ago

http://www.antec.com/usa/support.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can probably pull it out of there and jumper pin 14 to pin 15 and it should switch on. If not, replace as mentioned. If it does work, check to front panel switch and where it's hooked to the motherboard. If it is a dead PS, keep your fingers crossed that it didn't take anything with it.

Quote Quote  
  9. thank you all very much..very helpful info..

Originally Posted by redwudz
    You can probably pull it out of there and jumper pin 14 to pin 15 and it should switch on. If not, replace as mentioned. If it does work, check to front panel switch and where it's hooked to the motherboard. If it is a dead PS, keep your fingers crossed that it didn't take anything with it.

Quote Quote