VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I use MakeMKV to rip my collection. In order to speed up the progress I added a second BluRay drive. Since I was able to open up two MakeMKV windows, I guessed I could rip multiple discs at a time with multiple drives. Bummer… MakeMKV detects both drives, but when I start ripping with one the other makeMKV instance does not let me scan the second drive… The scan button freezes. Does anyone know how to get both drives working simultaneously? Or is there an easy way to set up a batch, so that MakeMkv copies one after another automatically with respective settings?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's possible. But ask in http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/ also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Preferences->IO->Ask For Single Drive Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by le0m View Post
    Hi there,

I use MakeMKV to rip my collection. In order to speed up the progress I added a second BluRay drive. Since I was able to open up two MakeMKV windows, I guessed I could rip multiple discs at a time with multiple drives. Bummer… MakeMKV detects both drives, but when I start ripping with one the other makeMKV instance does not let me scan the second drive… The scan button freezes. Does anyone know how to get both drives working simultaneously? Or is there an easy way to set up a batch, so that MakeMkv copies one after another automatically with respective settings?
    Even if it did allow you to rip 2 Blu-Ray at a time, why would you? I know you think that each BD would rip at normal speed thus finishing your ripping task twice as fast but the truth is that more likely each rip would take twice as long. First I'm assuming you're ripping to the same hard drive, meaning it now has to write 2 streams at a time rather than 1 and you are also adding to I/O overhead.

Perhaps if you ripped each BD to a separate hard drive, maybe you would see a near 100% scaling but I doubt it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV doesn't re-encode (other than the occasional audio), so it doesn't use much CPU and even two Blu Ray drives can't match the throughput of a single decent HDD. Memory usage is negligible...

16x Blu Ray has a theoretical throughput of 72 MB/s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable
    From experience it rarely rips at full speed and the drives on newegg.com only run at between 6 to 12 speed anyway.

A WD green has an actual throughput of 110 MB/s or more
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_green_2tb_review_wd20ears
    http://goughlui.com/2014/06/20/4tb-head-to-head-western-digital-green-wd40ezrx-vs-seag...p-st4000dm000/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Even if it did allow you to rip 2 Blu-Ray at a time, why would you? I know you think that each BD would rip at normal speed thus finishing your ripping task twice as fast but the truth is that more likely each rip would take twice as long.

Perhaps if you ripped each BD to a separate hard drive, maybe you would see a near 100% scaling but I doubt it.
    I used to regularly rip 4 DVDs to a pair of hard drives simultaneously and they ripped at the same speed they would have if I'd run them one at a time. I think "each rip taking twice as long" is being overly pessimistic, especially as the ripping process wouldn't run anywhere near the theoretical maximum for a Bluray drive, at least for the majority of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Preferences->IO->Ask For Single Drive Mode.
    With this option it works like a charm. One window for each drive. Thanks

Even if it did allow you to rip 2 Blu-Ray at a time, why would you? I know you think that each BD would rip at normal speed thus finishing your ripping task twice as fast but the truth is that more likely each rip would take twice as long. First I'm assuming you're ripping to the same hard drive, meaning it now has to write 2 streams at a time rather than 1 and you are also adding to I/O overhead.

I haven't noticed any performance loss. I rip on one HDD.
    Quote Quote