VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Just wondering, though might be a sorta stupid question, if you guys use Netflix watch instantly: is it also possible to capture or download streaming movies from Netflix watch instantly in any way?
    I just want to save a couple of movies for later playback, going away for a couple of weeks and I won't have any internet connection.
    Any ideas if this is possible or not?

Search Comp PM
    Use HD PVR .... route the video from your video card HDTV video connection that goes to your HDTV and hook up the HD PVR between the video card and the HDTV.

As long as the Internet connection does not slow down ... all should go well.

3. Ahem, thanks but don't think that search link you mentioned is working. Or were you suggesting I should do a search on capture netflix streaming movies or something like this?

4. HD PVR? Cool, this sounds like a quite interesting way to save netflix streaming movies, didn't cross my mind to solve it this way.

I was rather thinking of finding some sorta software for the job, if there was such a thing of course.

5. My understanding is that the Component out is resolution limited vs the HDMI. I seem to remember reading somewhere it is SD, I never tried it. OTOH That could only apply to the Western Digital players as that is what I use.

Since the HD PVR takes component in that means extra hardware. Probably a HDMI to component converter. This suggestion is only theoretical since I've never tried it.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Search Comp PM
    @tboneit - the hd pvr handles up to 1080i over component.

A converter is not necessary if you have equipment that outputs a component cable. It also has fiber optic in for 5.1 audio recording (although I don't know if netflix has finally rolled out 5.1 streaming yet, they were supposed to but I don't know if that was just rumor or not).

Just set your playback device to 1080i or 720p and record over component to the hdpvr. Simple as that.

Of course if you get buffer stuttering in your stream it will record that too - unavoidable unfortunately - it will record whatever it sees.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got netflix and for me the two ways I know to save/download/capture movies/tv shows to hard drive is to either have my nintendo wii hooked up to my video capture card or screen record it. As far is I know there is no way to just download it, it uses silverlight for streaming on pc.

Search Comp PM
    I do have the HD-PVR and it is currently hooked up in the bedroom ... but I have no PC in there at the moment ... the PC I normally use is down ... so I just took it off my workbench and placed the Bedroom PC here as a quick way to keep things going out here in the garage.

And I was thinking that I could probably take the component video signal from my nvidia card that I do have connected to my HDTV and record some stuff through Netflix ... once the show starts and the Netflix buffer has adjusted it self ... I get a pretty smooth playback.

I wouldn't normally think about doing this but Netflix has a TV Show series that for ... play now ... that I'd like to collect.

Never mind what show it is ... it's an old show and only ran a couple of years but it would be good to have them archive here at home.

And just to mention ... VideoRedo ... works great for cleaning up the audio sync problems that I have run into when recording videos with the HD-PVR.

9. Okey dokey, I see.

Think this might just start to be too technical for me, but I take it using the HD-PVR might be a viable option to record and save streaming movies from netflix for later viewing.

I also wouldn't normally think to download or in some way capture netflix streaming movies to the hard disk if it weren't for the fact that I won't have any internet connection where I am going.

10. Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
    I've got netflix and for me the two ways I know to save/download/capture movies/tv shows to hard drive is to either have my nintendo wii hooked up to my video capture card or screen record it. As far is I know there is no way to just download it, it uses silverlight for streaming on pc.
    Myeah, I also kinda suspected that the movies streamed online by them might have some sort of protection that would prevent one to simply download netflix movies the way it works for other video streaming sites.

Nintendo wii I don't have, though looked like an interesting idea to capture or record netfix movies using the video capture card.

Screen record netflix streaming movies dunno, don't usually use this kind of programs. Wouldn't the recorded video be of low quality or something like this?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by martysmarty
    Nintendo wii I don't have
    Do you have a xbox 360 or ps3? You can do netflix on either one. Also there are tons of bluray players that do netflix nowadays. If you have a recent model check to see if it offers netflix streaming. Then you could use that as your playback device and output the video to your computer for recording.

Originally Posted by martysmarty
    Wouldn't the recorded video be of low quality or something like this?
    Just like anything the bitrate determines the quality. Use a high enough bitrate and it should look just fine. I probably wouldn't run any cpu intensive tasks while screen recording to make sure everything goes smoothly. Also I think the same principle applies that if you have a buffer issue while playing it will end up in your recorded video - though I'm not sure if screen recording programs do the same thing as video capture cards when it comes to interrupted video streams - it may stop recording and resume once the picture returns - I honestly don't know as I haven't used it enough to know. I do have tunebite (audibals) 8 and have tried screen recording but have had lots of issues with it. The samples that have recorded looked good enough to me but it was trying to record an entire 2 hour video that I had issues with.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html

Audials Tunebite works great, screen capture method.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly

13. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @tboneit - the hd pvr handles up to 1080i over component.

A converter is not necessary if you have equipment that outputs a component cable. It also has fiber optic in for 5.1 audio recording (although I don't know if netflix has finally rolled out 5.1 streaming yet, they were supposed to but I don't know if that was just rumor or not).

Just set your playback device to 1080i or 720p and record over component to the hdpvr. Simple as that.

Of course if you get buffer stuttering in your stream it will record that too - unavoidable unfortunately - it will record whatever it sees.
    I do know that since I have a HD PVR. However my point was that some devices limit resolution via Component.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Search Comp PM
    probably easier to just order the disc than go thru all that crap

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have used Replay Video Capture before and got excellent results for older video, you won't get 5.1 audio but.

Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    There are actually a lot of things on netflix that you can watch but they have no disc's for rental/shipment.

There are a couple i have waited for almost a year and they are just listed as " Availability unknown".

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there are other devices you can use for netflix like ps3/xbox360/ and other internet enabled devices. The quality isn't too bad when screen recording, actually when I tested it was quite good, depending on the video codec used, etc. I think i will upload a sample.

Search Comp PM
    Fraps screen capture will work.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a sample.

http://www.mediafire.com/?82mkw6309p3zyno

Here is the link of the screen recorder I used. There are many settings to use, you have to experiment to get the best quality.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331685-Amarrecco-hard-to-find-freeware-screen-recorder

I have right now installed amarecco 3.00. Works good with screen recording games as well.

19. Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    Yeah you know, unfortunately as Noahtuckn mentioned, you can't always find the movies they stream online available on dvds so I just don't think it would actually help me to order the disc and wait for it in the mail if I can't find anything I like

Anyways I ain't got any dvds in my plan, just online streaming plus I would not really feel that comfortable to take the rented dvds with me, you never know when these get misplaced and I have to pay for them.

Guess this is why recording streaming movies and tv shows from netflix would be a pretty good solution for me, it seems.
    No worries, don't plan to share them everywhere just watch and delete.

20. Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
    That's a really jerky recording. It has many missing and duplicate frames.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the dollars and cents as well as convenience. The cost of a new HD-PVR ~$200. Plus, it will take time to learn how to use the device, and a couple of hours to record each movie. Based on what I have read on the subject, a powerful multicore cpu is required for good screen captures in HD, so unless you have one, forget about doing that.

Assuming this is just to provide you with some entertainment for one trip, not something that you need to do on a regular basis, it isn't worth it. Buying 10 movies on DVD could be cheaper than buying an HD-PVR, and if you don't want to keep the movies, you could re-sell them and get some of the money back.

22. Also note that NF is now adding subtitles/captions to regular films. About 1000 now. You can find them at the bottom of your NF page, under subtitles & captions. Now it's important to be able to capture subs/captions too.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Based on what I have read on the subject, a powerful multicore cpu is required for good screen captures in HD, so unless you have one, forget about doing that.
    I can do it on my dual core just fine (2gb ram vista premium 32bit).

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Based on what I have read on the subject, a powerful multicore cpu is required for good screen captures in HD, so unless you have one, forget about doing that.
    I do it on my Dual Core also.

And you are never going to get anywhere near HD quality from netflix streaming!!
    LOL!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I do it on my Dual Core also.

And you are never going to get anywhere near HD quality from netflix streaming!!
    LOL!
    --- well sd widescreen is still decent - at least you get upconverting benefits

----@ noahtuck - you got some pm's to read (nothing major just a continuation from the other day).

26. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Netflix has HD streams. Not full Blu-ray 1080p resolution and quality but better than DVD.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can screen capture video in an HD resolution @ 30 fps or 60 fps with just a dual core and not drop many frames? Amazing. What type of compression are you using?

...and if light compression is used there is the problem of having enough HDD space for a 2-hour capture. I have played with video capture enough to see first hand that using light compression generates enormous files even from an 720x480 source, and sometimes results in dropped frames when the HDD can't keep up. Too many dropped frames seems to be a common problem with screen capture software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2011 at 16:41.

Search Comp PM
    EDIT:

THIS IS NOT SCREEN CAPTURING - I AM REFERRING TO CAPTURING WITH COMPONENT CABLES FROM A CABLE HD PVR ONTO MY HAUPPAUGE HDPVR.

I just noticed what you were asking about. My mistake.

This was in regards to recording from another device not the computer itself.

You can screen capture video in an HD resolution @ 30 fps or 60 fps with just a dual core and not drop many frames? Amazing. What type of compression are you using?
    my cable hd pvr is set to 720p and if memory serves its a 60fps setting (well 59 something or other is what arcsoft reports).

I'm about to turn in for the night and I'm on a different computer right now so I can post screen shots later.

What type of compression are you using?
    I usually set to 4mbs or so if I'm trying to fit a less than 2 hour cap onto single layer dvdr. I go higher if I'm going to be using my wdtv media player - ie no discs.

I have played with video capture enough to see first hand that using light compression generates enormous files even from an 720x480 source, and sometimes results in dropped frames when the HDD can't keep up. Too many dropped frames seems to be a common problem with screen capture software.
    By light compression do you mean high bitrate? The hdpvr can go up to 13.5mbs. If memory serves a 2 hour cap at 4mb gets me 4gbs. I don't have my personal scale written down so I eyeball it most of the time.

this is a hardware device remember so I'm not sure dropped frames are as much of an issue. I haven't noticed any in my captures. What I do notice are of course the cable blips and hiccups I normally get every now and then with my comcast hd cable. Not frequent enough to be disruptive just common enough to be slightly irritating.

The results on the whole are quite good. For avchd authoring i tend to leave commercials in and only do basic chapters. Unfortunately the arcsoft software seems to be the only consistently reliable authoring app I have that takes every file everytime. I love multiavchd but once in awhile I seem to get hiccups on my hdpvr caps. I tend to use multiavchd for more special projects - and it does it great.

I just don't do much hd editing on my dual core.

I'm sure usually_quiet you can appreciate why.

It can be cumbersome editing hd. Simple cuts without special effects or wipes or fades aren't too bad. But any compression or reencoding can be time consuming.

But I do like capping at 13.5mbs for my vhs material at 720x480. I've used my panasonic ag1970 with svideo and rca and I get great results. On the tapes that are sp and commercially produced I can get pretty amazing results. I also don't have the file sizes on hand but I've been popping them on my wdtv gen 1 player and they work out quite well.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Netflix has HD streams. Not full Blu-ray 1080p resolution and quality but better than DVD.
    How do you get those ?

Do you have to subscribe to their bluray plan ?

Because i've seen some current day movies streamed from them and they have compression artifacts all over the place!!