VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On my system32 directory I have no HuffYUV files. I am on Windows 10, 64-bit as well, using 32-bit original VirtualDub and 32-bit original HuffYUV. I ignore why that link reports this need
    Quote Quote  
  2. I run out of ideas ....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Me too...

Does not matter, Alwin will use other codecs, so he'll be able to capture in YUV. We'll never know what his problem was
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well only one appears to have the 'hassle'. Installed without issue for me.

Where is our 'expert' when we need him
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is why I just use utvideo instead for lossless capture and save myself the hassle.

However, it is not the fault of the codec, but of Alwin specific system/configuration/installation/small devil in his PC/whatever else.

Everybody else is able to capture in YUV colorspace with HuffYUV. He may have created a AlwinRGB codec by accident during his manipulations

edit: added quote
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

He has been banned
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post

He has been banned
    I was going to post about how new members argue with established, far more knowledgeable members, then fade away after a short time, when I noticed that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

He has been banned
    I knew that (even mentioned a reference some posts ago re Reply #34). This post was in jest.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I was going to post about how new members argue with established, far more knowledgeable members, then fade away after a short time, when I noticed that
    I don't see a problem with new members discussing technical matters with old members or vise versa, the problem is some of those new members argue with no experience other than going to google and looking stuff up and in a non civilized matter. We all need to learn, so I reject the notion of new vs old, but when I read to learn something I'd like it to be backed with some concrete experimentation not just plain theory and math, I've had my fair share of that for over 22 years of academic school.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    As a quick aside, you and I are disagreeing again, but it is friendly. I hope it stays that way.
    In other areas, like Avisynth or upscale, no disagreement. Just the cards.
    Of course we are "friend" in this virtual world, why should not be the case
    Some newbies don't seem to understand what friendly disagreement is. Have to spell it out for them.

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Re the levels, the Live2 jumped around a lot when I was trying to set them, as well as change as soon as I started capturing.
    AGC. That's the common issue between production runs and Conexant chipped cards. Live2, VC500 etc.

Originally Posted by Lordsmurf
    What did you do after the capture?
    Is that the raw capture file, or did you edit anything in VirtualDub?
    I did a Direct Stream Copy to trim the file size, but otherwise nothing. I have checked the master capture files, and they are RGB as well. All the LAGS files are YUV.
    My thought was the Color Depth / Decode set wrong. (Which I don't think should cause this with Direct Stream Copy, but don't remember.) But not the case. Weird. Something to slowly investigate, recreate.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by Dellsham
    If you are saving to a lossless compressor you should choose full processing mode.
    I don't know what you are on about. I captured HUFFYUV and wanted to post some of the video here, so I used Direct Stream Copy. Surely using Full Processing is going to result in an export that is different to the original captured video? What are you suggesting I do to create a postable size, exactly replicating my capture?
    You cut your scenes, use full processing mode and save as HuffYUV again with the exact same parameters, Full processing mode with a lossless compression doesn't mean you are re-encoding.
    But it shouldn't be needed. If Full Processing, definitely check the Depth/Decode.

Me too, Sharc! As I said before, I normally don't use HUFF; I use LAGS or MagicYUV and both come out in YUV. I only did these in HUFF because my perception is that that is the most common codec used amoungst you aces.
    Anyway, I've just done some tests using Lollo's settings (but without re-installing HUFF, as it is a nightmare to do so). I have a total of 8 versions of VDub here.
    I started at the Sourceforge version, then tried Lordsmurf's, 1.9.11AMD64, 1.10.4, 1.10.44gbpatch. All gave me RGB.
    Then I tried VirtualdubMPEG2 and it gave me YUV (as does Virtualdub2, as I think I previously noted).
    My hunch is that there is a bug in HUFF with those early versions of VDub and PAL captures, but I will re-install HUFF later and re-check.
    Reinstall it all. No such issues exist.
    Note that junkware like FILM9 would mess up VirtualDub, codec packs the codecs. It can be easy to fubar your video setup by randomly installing hinky software.

As for the interlaced/progressive comment, that does puzzle me. I, typically, just take mediainfo's word for it although even thpugh Lagarith is in variance since it does not even report that.
    AVI lacks interlace flagging. So everything is "progressive", even when it's not really.

Folks, nothing I do will give me a YUV capture with those early versions of VDub. Here's what I did:
    Your system may have been hosed. I've done that several times in the past 20 years. Installing bad software is usually the culprit. Something is changed, and it's hard to find.

However, it is not the fault of the codec, but of Alwin specific system/configuration/installation/small devil in his PC/whatever else.
    Correct.

I don't see a problem with new members discussing technical matters with old members or vise versa, the problem is some of those new members argue with no experience other than going to google and looking stuff up and in a non civilized matter. We all need to learn, so I reject the notion of new vs old, but when I read to learn something I'd like it to be backed with some concrete experimentation not just plain theory and math, I've had my fair share of that for over 22 years of academic school.
    The internet has always had trolls, and VH was no exception to it. But the real problem has started only in the past 5 years, as certain people seem to have given the dredges of society encouragement to act like gigantic a-holes without impunity. And devoid of facts, or experience, or both, of course. Politics has leaked (like a dirty diarrhea diaper) into everything. Thankfully many people, many sites, still reject that bad behavior.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lollo: "You've installed HUFF thee times, cleaned the registry twice, rebooted ten times, re-checked all the settings and your computer still produces HUFF files in RGB. Why is that?".

Alwyn: "It's one of life's mysteries, Sir!".

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The internet has always had trolls, and VH was no exception to it. But the real problem has started only in the past 5 years, as certain people seem to have given the dredges of society encouragement to act like gigantic a-holes without impunity. And devoid of facts, or experience, or both, of course. Politics has leaked (like a dirty diarrhea diaper) into everything. Thankfully many people, many sites, still reject that bad behavior.
    I get a chuckle when some of those posters say "I have the RIGHT to post what I want!" then get permabanned because, Nope, the forum Mods get to decide what you can and can't post on THEIR forums.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with your points. Some new members do have some valid points they're able to state in a polite, civil way and some old members think that somehow their join date gives them the privilege to spout illogical nonsense. I think you'd have to agree that the poster I was referencing was not in the former category.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Re the levels, the Live2 jumped around a lot when I was trying to set them, as well as change as soon as I started capturing.
    AGC. That's the common issue between production runs and Conexant chipped cards. Live2, VC500 etc.
    Alwin referes to the USB-Live 2 drivers trying to setting back the dafaults values while in "Procamp" mode, and when you start the captures.
    Once the capture starts there is no AGC issue causing brightness change, like for some of the VC500, which suffers of production changes.

And while there, stop repeating this "production run" non sense for USB-Live 2. Just in this post you have references and samples from 2003, 2010, 2017 and 2022 by me, DB83 and Alwin.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Does anyone have a datasheet of the Cx23100 which is used in the USB-live2? I have only found the CX23103 which seems to be the closest w.r.t. the functionality.
    Thanks.

P.S. I was hoping to find anything about its luma-chroma filtering principle for composite inputs. No avail.
    Image Attached Thumbnails DSAASSA0001206.pdf  

Last edited by Sharc; 23rd Jun 2022 at 04:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. I was hoping to find anything about its luma-chroma filtering principle for composite inputs. No avail.
    I did a quick search on web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20140213124740/http://conexant.com/Product/Video/vd/CX23102...s/default.aspx but there is not an application note or a reference development kit to extract any technical data.

Synaptics acquired Conexant in 2017, and the CX video ICs are still in production (obviously). No trace on there site of a technical documentation as well.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've yet to see a full datasheet for the USB chips. There are some full sheets floating around for pci, pcie and one or two standalone conexant chips, which may be related to some degree.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, lordsmurf just listed some capture devices. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/8253-sale-ati-600-a.html All are NTSC/PAL capable.

The reason for this post is because he's too humble to post about them himself. The old blue grouch! ;-p Luv U blue guy!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I'm an old guy (75y) and I want to digitize family Hi8 videos (Sony CCD-TR81 camcorder). This forum repeatedly advises using a TBC device (my VCR and DVD players are read-only, so I don't already own one) plus a conversion card. The forum tends to trash Elgato and other dongles. A $X,XXX workflow is out for me. Any suggestions for an affordable approach that produces decent quality output?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Do you currently own the Sony CCD-TR81? If so, see if it's built in line TBC, Use S-Video out and a good USB capture device, there are good ones that are cheaper than the Elgato and better mentioned in this thread, like the Hauppauge USB-Live 2 and IOData GV-USB.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! How do I see whether it has built in-line TBC? Also, some people on the thread also trash the Hauppauge and IOData devices ... ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Lookup user manual or lookup menu items, If it has TBC ON/OFF, then it has it. Don't worry about what some people trash, worry about what most people report with evidence samples. Keep the drama out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. It does not have a TBC ON/OFF switch, and nothing is mentioned in the manual. Can I get decent quality without an external TBC?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by savemem View Post
    Can I get decent quality without an external TBC?
    Usually not with USB capture dongles. But it depends on the condition of the tape and the player, and on what you accept as "decent quality". Without TBC you will usually get line wiggling, more dropped frames and glitches, rollovers, unstable picture ..... just scan the forum.
    You can try without "TBC" and add a DVD recorder in passthrough mode later if needed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Savemem
    Can I get decent quality without an external TBC?
    Video8 is a much better, more stable format than VCRs/VHS. It is likely you'll get away without an external stabiliser if there isn't one in your camara.

And the TRV-81 does indeed have an inbuilt TBC, according to this manual page 26, so you're all set for great video (hopefully).

Also, some people on the thread also trash the Hauppauge and IOData devices ... ?
    Ignore them.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. My camcorder is the TR81, not TRV81. Mine doesn't have the fold-out viewer.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Get a USB capture device and try with your current camcorder, Post samples here. If you decide to go ahead and get a camcorder with built in line TBC then you can get one for cheap based on your location, Here in the US, I see them on thrift stores and online used market ads for peanuts, European market is a different story.
    Quote Quote