VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I never really cared about the 2x thing, I just wanted cheap media, and already this drive has half paid for itself in my view, IN LESS then 3 weeks!

Apple Media is 5 bucks per disk and burns at 2x very reliable. Lower cost stuff that is iffy has always existed. I remember when a friend of mine was the first person we knew who had a cd-r, back in the BBS days, and WAY before CD-RW. If you wanted a disk burned by him you had two options; a: bring him 2 disk one for him to pay for the wear and tear on the drive or b: bring him a carton of smokes and he would provide the disk. Either way the cost was the same!

Media cost will fall and the cheapo disk will get better, in time we'll be buying cheap generics for a buck each and forgetting that there was ever an issue at all... such is the cost of early adopting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The issue seems pretty basic, either

A) You have a case: go retain a lawyer, and let them do the grunt work.

B) You don't have a case: Write Pioneer and give them a suggestion so that next time they can give their customers all the info they need prior to the purchase.

It isn't Poineer's job to ensure that all media work in their drive, their job is to ensure that the drive can infact burn at 2x. All it takes is for one brand of discs to work at 2x. If only a single brand works then they haven't lied, they may have made a poor business choice by not supporting a broader range of discs, but they didn't lie.

Heck, if you want to be technical, they only need to support Pioneer media. Just as you wouldn't expect North American appliances to work on European power sources, non-certified media can't be expected to work at 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, really this gets my goat. Not being nasty or personal, but what a bunch of cheapo's! $1.99 for DVD media? Bargain hunters think they fool somebody by getting best deals and then they get screwed when the media stops working all of a sudden. "Gee, I wonder what happened. Probably the drive, not the $0.01 media". Heck, many of my expensive CD-R's stopped functioning until I switched to very expensive TDK Pro media. So even if you get your 99 cent DVD to burn, wait a while before it starts decomposing. Either you VALUE your material or you do not. Next thing you know they'll be asking for free DVD-R give-aways or else. $2.00 for 4 GB of storage! Think about it. You get what you pay for. I am sorry if Pioneer hurt your feelings by not putting in a disclaimer. Looks to me like you got nothing better to do than sue the company. Really, man, get a life.

Disclaimer: this was not a flame.
    Digitizer
    If it ain't digital, it ain't real
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bargain hunters think they fool somebody
    Disclaimer: this was not a flame.
    You fooled me!
    Quote Quote  
  5. If I could physically reach through my monitor and slap the originator of this thread, I would.

The Pioneer A04/104 is currently the best DVD-R burner on the market. If you think there is a better one out there, then return it and get it.

Guess what? There isn't.

CDR media has a whole range of quality. Some last years, some last only days for the really cheap stuff. DVD-R media is even more touchy due to the smaller blue-laser. Using better (ie. certified) media is all I will ever put in that thing, especially if its a DVD I care to keep more than a couple years.

What you really should be doing is sueing all the crappy media manufactuers like Ritek, not Pioneer.

Idiot.

Robert
    Quote Quote  
  6. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote