VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I'm trying to figure out a good camera to use for or house of worship services live stream. Due to COVID we've had to pivot and start live streaming our services. Right now we are using an older Canon Vixia camcorder style camera and shooting at 1080/24 and it is getting the job done. However now that we are going to be doing this for the foreseeable future we really want to up the production value specifically - the visual quality. I'm looking for a camera that can capture the stage from about 30 feet away with mediocre lighting (mostly coming from ceiling track lights). I've seen where the Sony DSLR's can produce great video but with those cameras we are also paying for a good quality photo camera so I'm not sure if that's the best bang for the buck if we are focussing solely on live video. I've also looked at the Canon XA40 which seems to be a pretty highly regarded Video camera. The budget would be $1500 or cheaper. I'm sorry if this isn't enough information or if I'm not thinking through this correctly - this is our first time thinking through this. Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    poor lighting and 24p don't work well together. i'd start with adding good lighting and shoot 30p. i wouldn't go with a dslr as they tend to overheat when used continuously for more than a few minutes. nothing at all wrong with an xa40.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    poor lighting and 24p don't work well together. i'd start with adding good lighting and shoot 30p. i wouldn't go with a dslr as they tend to overheat when used continuously for more than a few minutes. nothing at all wrong with an xa40.
    Thanks so much for the reply. I'm planning on buying a light meter so I can measure the actual light in the room and along the path the camera has to shoot. A few followup Questions for you:

1.) Is there a particular kind or model of light meter I should consider?
    2.) Would measuring the light even impact my buying decision - i.e. if it's a lower reading then there is a different camera that I should consider?
    3.) Is there a better camera for the price that I should be considering other than the XA40?

Thanks again for your willingness to help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd suggest asking a student from a local high school music/drama department that works lighting come take a look. they might have suggestions as to where you could hang a couple wash/spot lights and wire up a dimmer panel. maybe they could get extra credit for the project. measuring wouldn't give you much data to go on for a cam purchase. i'm partial to canon as i own 4 so i'd be happy with the xa40 myself
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The Canon XA40 shoots 4k/30p, so i am curious as to what resolution you will be recording if you buy this camera.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Have you looked into any mirrorless cameras? The Sony a6400 is a popular choice for live streaming due to its fast autofocus and impressive video capabilities. It's also within your budget range. Another option to consider is the Panasonic GH5. While it may be a bit pricier, it's known for its excellent video quality and is a favorite among many videographers. Lastly, I wanted to share a resource that may be of interest to you - https://www.praguefilminstitute.cz. It's a film school founded by filmmakers in Prague and they offer a variety of courses and workshops for aspiring filmmakers.
    Last edited by bottlespa; 7th May 2023 at 06:56.
    Quote Quote