VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. in order to edit the video captured with a Canon camcorder that records straigth into dvd format, first I have to convert the DVD to QuickTime, an then fast import it in Avid Media Composer 5. I use MPEG_Streamclip_1.2 to open the camcorder dvd, then I go to File > Export to QuickTime. In the two windows below, I know that the DVD source is PAL, but I don't know what settings I should make, other than the following:
    - compression: avid dv codec (color input: rgb levels 0-255; resolution: dv50 pal)
    - quality: 100%
    - frame size: 720 x 576 (DV-PAL)

Click image for larger version

Name:	movie_explorer.PNG
Views:	676
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	4719

Click image for larger version

Name:	compression_options.PNG
Views:	721
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	4720

How do I find out what the other settings should be, based on the source dvd? In the guide that describes this workflow, it doesn't specify all the settings, and the converted qt video has a ~2px black line at the bottom and I don't know if I did something incorrectly by leaving all other settings untouched.
    Last edited by codemaster; 17th Dec 2010 at 05:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I found a "Avid MPEG Workflow Guide" in the "Tutorials and Guides" section from community.avid.com/forums/

I should have searched there before posting here...

These consumer cameras should have an option to choose between an editable format and DVD format, and leave dvd as default for those not interested in editing their recordings...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    These consumer cameras should have an option to choose between an editable format and DVD format, and leave dvd as default for those not interested in editing their recordings...
    They don't consider that they need it because they are not aimed at users who intend to do serious editing. The quality and the mpeg-2 format simply do not lend themselves to serious video work. They certainly don't expect their product to be edited in Avid editing software either. You are better off a) getting a more suitable camera or b) using something like Womble MPEG Video Wizard for editing the content from this type of camera.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. well, about 5 years ago, the price of this Canon sd camcorder was the same of that of a new Canon hd consumer camera, wich records in AVCHD, a format suitable for editing in NLEs. Now, people can edit their recordings by accesing/importing them directly from the memory of their camcorder. On a MAC or a PC, they can edit in iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, or NLEs. But they are still making dvd camcorders wich are much more cheap now. Anyway, it's like you said, in case you expect to be able to edit, choose a camera that outputs in a format suitable for editing.
    Last edited by codemaster; 17th Dec 2010 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote