VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have an old VCD, but my sister is only interested in the songs pr the musical part of the VCD.
    I "explore" the VCD, and the layout of its file structure is shown below:

Thanks...

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video and audio tracks are in the MPEGAV folder, probably named AVSEQnn.DAT or similar. Try changing the .DAT extension to .MPG and you should have it. You can demux the audio away from the video track with something like the trial version of TMPGEnc. VCD audio is sampled at 44.1Khz while DVD audio is sampled at 48Khz. Likely not a problem for what you want to do.

Once the audio is extracted, you can do what you want with it, filtering, etc. If needed.

If you want more information on the VCD format, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' VCD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a file or files in the MPEGAV folder. Probably called "MUSIC01.DAT".

That is the video file.
    You can just try to copy this to your hard disk and rename it as "music.mpg", it may play as an MPEG1 video.
    There might be glitches though. If so, the best way to extract this is using VCDGear; use its "Extract/convert "dat -> mpeg" function, with "fix mpeg errors" option enabled.

In either case, then you can extract the audio from the MPEG file.
    You can do this using, eg, Audacity.
    That can open the MP2 audio in the mpg file and then you can save that as MP3 or whatever format you like.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 17th Nov 2010 at 22:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The video and audio tracks are in the MPEGAV folder, probably named AVSEQnn.DAT or similar. Try changing the .DAT extension to .MPG and you should have it. You can demux the audio away from the video track with something like the trial version of TMPGEnc. VCD audio is sampled at 44.1Khz while DVD audio is sampled at 48Khz. Likely not a problem for what you want to do.

Once the audio is extracted, you can do what you want with it, filtering, etc. If needed.

If you want more information on the VCD format, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' VCD.

The MPEGAV file contains

And I use River Past audio converter to convert each of those .DAT file to MP3, and when I played the converted .d MP3 file, nothing happens....??

Quote Quote  
  5. Follow AlanHK's instructions. Me, because just renaming them as MPG often introduces artifacts, I always do a proper conversion to MPG before then extracting the audio. You should do the same for each of those DAT files. After getting an MPG I then use DGIndex to extract the audio (where he uses Audacity). Open the MPG in DGIndex and then File->Save Project, which will automatically demux the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Follow AlanHK's instructions. Me, because just renaming them as MPG often introduces artifacts, I always do a proper conversion to MPG before then extracting the audio. You should do the same for each of those DAT files. After getting an MPG I then use DGIndex to extract the audio (where he uses Audacity). Open the MPG in DGIndex and then File->Save Project, which will automatically demux the audio.

So far, I have use VCDgear to convert the .dat file tp MPEG, I played the converted file using windows media player , and it plays great.
    looked at the 2 programs [ audacity & DGINDEX ]for Audio extraction, butt seem "complicated", was wishing for something easier and effective as well. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Open the MPG in DGIndex and then File->Save Project, which will automatically demux the audio.
    How much more simple do you want it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Open the MPG in DGIndex and then File->Save Project, which will automatically demux the audio.
    How much more simple do you want it?
    Thanks , anyway, this program Pazera Extractor V1.4 is much simpler to use, is a Freeware. and I just compled extracting 6 MP3 from the MPEG files Thanks for all the help and I have many more VCD to convert and extract........

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-Audio-Extractor/3000-2140_4-10820817.html
    Last edited by niteghost; 18th Nov 2010 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    I just compled extracting 6 MP3 from the MPEG files Thanks for all the help and I have many more VCD to convert and extract........
    I hope you're not going to the trouble of transcoding the VCD's audio into MP3. VCD's MP2 is generally decoded properly by MP3 players directly. If you actually transcode into MP3, you lose quality. Just do a straight demux and leave the audio as it is.

I'm glad you found software you're happy with; TMPGEnc (the free version) has tools for cutting and demuxing, so if you ever want to do those simple operations, that's a nice tool for doing exactly that. The combination of VCDgear and TMPGEnc suffices for the majority of VCD-related tasks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Actually, Pazera free audio extractor can extract the audio streams without converting it. Just choose the "try extract original audio stream" option in the output format list.
    Quote Quote