VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey...I have an avi movie file that will not play to the end with the following players. WMP 11, Divx player, Winamp 5x,Classic media player and my home dvd player which can play dvd data discs of avi files as is.

The total time of the video is 2 hours and 6 minutes yet in all the above players the video shows and stops playing at 1 hour and 26 minutes. The video works fine and plays to the end with the VLC player.

The problem is that I make DvD data discs and play them on my home DvD player and the vlc player wont help me on that system. Can anyone please help me fix this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have a corrupt file. VLC is designed to handle corruption more robustly than other players, which is why you can use it to preview files as they download, even though they may have large gaps in the data.

VLC can also transcode video, so you might try saving a new version of the video to see if that allows for playback in other players. If it does, you should be able to re-encode to Xvid or DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the file was corrupt wouldnt wmp refuse to play it ?

This file in 5 different players all starts the same and all ends at the same 1 hr. 26 minute mark. I even tried to edit the video in roxio video wave 9 and it still shows only 1:26 minutes of a 2:06 minute video....

Under the summary it shows no codec ? Any thoughts on this....

Could it be that their is no compression on the avi file ???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded and tried the KM player and the same thing happens it stops playing at the same time...1:26...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As noted above, it is a corrupt file. Obviously, the corruption is or begins at 1:26, which is why the other players can partially play the file.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote