VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to convert my NTSC dvd files to PAL so I can watch them on my stand alone. The files are DVD-r files (ifos and Vobs), I don't want to convert them to mpegs or avi first and convert them back.

Does anyone know of software that will allow me to do this? I have tried TMPG and some other converters but they don't accept these types of files. Or is there a program that can extract M2V video and mpeg audio files while converting to PAL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steely_charm
    I need to convert my NTSC dvd files to PAL so I can watch them on my stand alone. The files are DVD-r files (ifos and Vobs), I don't want to convert them to mpegs or avi first and convert them back.

Does anyone know of software that will allow me to do this? I have tried TMPG and some other converters but they don't accept these types of files. Or is there a program that can extract M2V video and mpeg audio files while converting to PAL?
    You want DVD2AVI version 1.76

You want to create a D2V project file and you want to DEMUX (not DECODE) the audio.

As for NTSC to PAL conversion here is a start:

http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to convert them to mpegs or avi first and convert them back.
    It is impossible without doing that. Get used to it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. How do you do this:

Create and open a new text file with an AVS extension (to be used with AVISynth), using your favorite text editor (like Notepad).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do you do this:

Create and open a new text file with an AVS extension (to be used with AVISynth), using your favorite text editor (like Notepad).
    When you go to save the "text" file you select ALL FILES for the SAVE AS TYPE option. Then when you type in the name of the file you simply add ".avs" to the end so you get something that looks like this ... "filename.avs"

Please note that to use Xesdeeni's SmoothDeinterlacer plug-in (which is needed if your NTSC source is INTERLACED) you will have to use AviSynth version 2.08 as newer versions don't work with that particular plug-in (at least in my experience).

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have been told that if you add a region 0 it should play. What program can I use to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been told that if you add a region 0 it should play. What program can I use to do this?
    Well region code and video format are 2 totally different things.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you in UK . I ask this because pretty much every thing in Uk handles NTSC perfectly well and does not need to be converted to PAL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you in UK . I ask this because pretty much every thing in Uk handles NTSC perfectly well and does not need to be converted to PAL.
    Or somewhere else in Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am in the uk.

Both my stand alone and my girlfirends become very jumpy when playing a NTSC dvd. But fine when playing a PAL. Other stand alones play it fine ie. my parents new sony.

I am pretty sure it is the NTSC format, but any other ideas are welcome. On my stand alone it becomes jumpy after about 2/3rds of the film, and my girlsfriends is jumpy straight away.

Any how-to's on the regioning?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any DVD-R you make will be region free . The only time you need a region free player is if you want to play an original non-region 2 disc in it.

I think you may have a media or DVD-R>Player compatability issue here.
    I play NTSC in a PS2 , a Standalone Philips DVD Recorder , a cheap play anything Player , and Ive tried on a few friends various assortment of players with no issues.

I would try a different make of DVD-R or +R first , Ive read about NTSC to Pal conversions and It looks awful complicated to get it right.

I don't know what DVD Players apart from the Sony you have ( Top Brand or just cheapo players) . The cheap players tend to play most things whilst the 'dearer' players tend to be picky about what they play.

If you know someone with a cheaper or unknown brand maybe you could try your disc in that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What stand alone DVD player do you have? Make, model etc....
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  13. It is a grundig GDV520 finearts.

The problem only appears on NTSC films. 25fps films work fine.
    Quote Quote