VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a large DVD collection (~300) that I want to transfer to my HDD so I can stream movies to my iPad from there.

Objective:

* Goal is to automatically start the conversion as soon the disk is inserted in the drive of the MOVIE ONLY to single file, then eject the Disk or give an alert of some kind that conversion is completed so the next disk can be inserted and start the process over again.

Some notes:

* Most DVDs are older than 3yrs
    * No blue ray or HD disks
    * Desired resolution is 480p
    * prefered format is MP4 but I will take what I can. However uncompressed files may be too big to fit on the HDD prior to a batch conversion to another format.

I was thinking of trying DVD43 or similar for removing protection then another tool such as shrink DVD or VidCoder but don't know if those support the auto-rip function I mentioned.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will find the 'auto rip' function. But I converted a hundred or more DVDs to MKV with VidCoder and it went fairly quickly. I used a spare PC and temporarily put four optical drives in it and loaded four DVDs at a time, selected them and let them run sequentially. Didn't take that long. Then four more, etc. I used MKV format, but other formats work similarly.

It does take a while, about 30 - 40 minutes or so for each conversion with my setup, but I got through them all in a few days in my spare time. I had AnyDVD running in the background for decryption. You can set up VidCoder/Handbrake to your preferences. I used the Decomb filter at default settings and the audio to AC3 passthrough and a constant quality setting of 19.5. With MKV, that gives me a file size of about 1 - 2 GB.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I used a spare PC and temporarily put four optical drives in it and loaded four DVDs at a time, selected them and let them run sequentially.
    Great idea using multiple drives! I'll try that.
    Quote Quote