VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I've been gleaning knowledge off of this forum for years, but have only just now registered so that I can ask a question:

Is there a simple, easy to use program that will allow you to rip a disk directly to an MP4 format? I have DVD DeCrypter and I also have SlySoft Any DVD, so I just need a program (1-click solution would be great!) that will read the disk & output a single Divx/Xvid file for use on my portable devices. I don't mind paying a small amount for a program, if it does a good job (no artifacts, no audio/video mis-match, good video quality, etc.).

Bill
    Last edited by billbo1970; 28th Dec 2011 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but according to that thread it's not very good... I'm not willing to pay $50 for a program that has that many issues. Also, you need to buy TWO different software packages to rip both DVD & Blu-Ray... that's $110 total and WAY more than I am willing to pay.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VidCoder. Run anydvd in the background.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You CANNOT "rip" directly to MP4. First there is ripping (this word means the process of copying data off a CD or DVD or BD disc to hard drive and NOTHING else), then there is converting to MP4.

Handbrake is free and I think it can generate MP4 output from various source files but it's not a ripper.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks for the response!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You CANNOT "rip" directly to MP4. First there is ripping (this word means the process of copying data off a CD or DVD or BD disc to hard drive and NOTHING else), then there is converting to MP4.
    I realize this... but it is also just about 2012 now, and you'd think there would be a package out there that would be able to automate the process and let you 1-click rip & encode something.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  7. It is in "the package" ,
    programs like AnyDVDHD , maybe DVD Fab also, run it in the backround ,you load BD or DVD into your drive, you start encoder GUI like Ripbot264 - encodes to mp4, you make files smaller or ClownBD - will not re-encode, just creates specific container from chosen BD files , titles. Or you just use Explorer and copy , paste files ...

DVDFab calls it passkey capability or so, not sure ..

Not sure if can run into problems with difficult DVD or BD structure, where the better idea would be to rip optical DVD first and then continue to work with it.
    Last edited by _Al_; 28th Dec 2011 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but according to that thread it's not very good... I'm not willing to pay $50 for a program that has that many issues..
    That's not a thread....that is a comment section.....comments usually made by newbies who don't know whether to wind their butt or scratch their watch.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Like Baldrick said.

To elaborate: Run a driver-level decrypter (like AnyDVD or DVDFabPasskey) in the background and run whatever converter you prefer. You bypass ripping that way and convert directly from disc. Close enough to a "one-click" operation to qualify I should think. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I DO have SlySoft AnyDVD, I puchased that quite some time ago & keep up with the updates.... so I don't need to rip at all, I can just convert???!!

So now, I guess the question is which converter is best? I don't mind paying a small amount, I want a converter that is FAST, does a good job, and is intuitive.

I tried VirtualDub on an ISO image that I already have on the HDD. Is that about the speed I can expect or is there something faster out there that still provides good video quality?

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by billbo1970 View Post
    So now, I guess the question is which converter is best? I don't mind paying a small amount, I want a converter that is FAST, does a good job, and is intuitive.
    In this thread alone, you were recommended 3 encoders so far to get MP4 from your DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    In this thread alone, you were recommended 3 encoders so far to get MP4 from your DVD.
    Al,

This post is not helpful. I was recommended a few, yes, but not many people have viewed the thread or chimed in to second any of them. Not to mention the fact that I asked a completely new question which you decided to ignore.

"I tried VirtualDub on an ISO image that I already have on the HDD. Is that about the speed I can expect or is there something faster out there that still provides good video quality?"

If you have nothing to add, then at least don't be rude. Over my 40+ years on this earth, I've found it's not always a good idea to jump at the first 1 or 2 opinions thrown at you... maybe you haven't learned this lesson yet. I would prefer to wait and see what people think of the few that have been recommended or see if others get recommended.

Further, I said I'm willing to pay for a suite and only 1 over-priced application has been referenced. I want a nice simple GUI with 1-click functionality, and I don't want to have to buy 2 pieces of software to do both Blu-Ray & DVD.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I DO have SlySoft AnyDVD, I puchased that quite some time ago & keep up with the updates.... so I don't need to rip at all, I can just convert???!!
    No, you have to rip first THEN convert.

It seems that you're not really paying attention to what we are telling you as _Al_ has said, so it does make us less inclined to keep posting in this thread. Perhaps it would be helpful to actually try some of the suggested free programs and see what you think first or you can continue to make it clear that you're not actually interested in our suggestions and see how long it takes the others to give up on this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    No, you have to rip first THEN convert.

It seems that you're not really paying attention to what we are telling you as _Al_ has said, so it does make us less inclined to keep posting in this thread. Perhaps it would be helpful to actually try some of the suggested free programs and see what you think first or you can continue to make it clear that you're not actually interested in our suggestions and see how long it takes the others to give up on this thread.

WOW, what is with the hostility in this thread all of a sudden? Especially when there is conflicting information Jman... why don't YOU read??

Baldric JUST said: "To elaborate: Run a driver-level decrypter (like AnyDVD or DVDFabPasskey) in the background and run whatever converter you prefer. You bypass ripping that way and convert directly from disc."

So who is right huh? Young people today really need to learn their manners.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but according to that thread it's not very good... I'm not willing to pay $50 for a program that has that many issues..
    That's not a thread....that is a comment section.....comments usually made by newbies who don't know whether to wind their butt or scratch their watch.
    I'm one those people and, having started on CP/M 30 yearss ago learned C programming 25 years ago, I'm not exactly as newbie. I know half assed hacky software when I see it.

DVD Fab isn't much good as a ripper/encoder ... I constantly got pixelation and stuttering.

But DVDFab HD Decrypter works quite well, and it's free. Just set it to DVD-9 output and create a folder to hold ripped DVD files.

Then use Handbrake to produce the MP4 files. But ... if you want a good job, use 2 pass mode. You can't get best quality video conversion without it.

However, if you just want them to play on small mobile screens, you may not be all that worried about best quality.

This is a 2 step process but it's actually just as fast (if not faster) because you're separating the slow DVD reading from encoding.

For about 30 years I've been hearing people complaining that they can't get software that'll do a good job of something, fast, with one click. If you could do that all software would have been doing that for years.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ok,
    that AnyDVD capability is this,
    you put DVD into your drive, AnyDVD will recognize DVD, and program will activate itself , you don't have to do anything.
    You just can copy file from drive and paste it somewhere else on your hardrive, which you would normally could not do, but thanks AnyDVD you can.

Or after you put your DVD into drive you start another program and that program will convert DVD into MP4, which you would normally could not do, because DVD is encrypted.

AnyDVD is beeing updated, there is always new methods of how to make optical disc not easily readable, guys who author DVD's or BD's constantly develop techniques that ripping software needs to be updated. Both sides do a good job, it is a cat and a mouse game. It takes resources, update needs different programmers to play with it. That is why it is even good idea to have those programs separated. Ripper and encoder. They are completely different beasts.Encoding is a completely different program. You improve it constantly too, you use work of hundreds of other people that chipped in and offer some modules for free, at the end you have converter with nice interface , super results, it took years and tons of people was involved. It is free source software, and after those years of development "almost perfect ". This is what you ask for. These programs are free. Yes, they are very good and for free. Hard to believe I can understand, you believe that if you pay for something you get better result, not in this case. There is perhaps a tons of converters out there that you have to pay for, but with no special result, might not be even reliable. Remember, we are talking about rippind DVD and BD. You will not find Sony ripping program in the supermarket, you know what I mean ?

Basically you just need to know how to work with your chosen converter, this AnyDVD background process will not involve any skills. It just works in the background.

These free converters can be used to convert our home videos, because they are good. Believe me, you have $600 editor that can give you worse encoding result at the end that these free source encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You only need to use 2-pass mode if you need a file of a specific size. If you don't care too much about the size use constant quality encoding. Figure out what quality level is acceptable to you and encode all your videos with that quality.

Basically, with 2-pass encoding you know the file size but you don't know the quality. With constant quality you know the quality but you don't know the file size. When the two produce a file of the same size the quality is also the same.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded handbrake, I've seen that mentioned a couple of times and will give that a try. Thanks for all of the input.

Hoser Rob: "For about 30 years I've been hearing people complaining that they can't get software that'll do a good job of something, fast, with one click. If you could do that all software would have been doing that for years."

Actually there are several very good programs on the market that do a great 1-click job. Keeping on-topic, I'd say CloneDVD fits the bill. Too bad it only clones & doesn'te encode to other formats

Bill
    Quote Quote