VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. I've been using a used canopus advc 100 for about a year and had great results. I was feeding the firewire into macs and capturing images on iMovie. iMOvie thinks the signal was coming from video camera. Problem: lately the video images have had distorted color and it pops into normal color about every 30 seconds for about 3 seconds before going back to abnormal image. Any suggestions? andysamwen@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd check the power supply first. If no problem there, check all the cables and sockets for an intermittent connection. Next, maybe a deteriorating part internal to the ADVC-100. In particular any electrolytic (can type) capacitors. Look for bulges or leaking. Also look for any obvious overheated parts. I have one of the early ADVC-100s and it still works fine.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I'll open it and see what it looks like. I think the unit might have burned out. I'm looking for something that will help me digitalize videotapes so that I can import videos into iMovie for editing. Yesterday, I was looking at some dvd/vhs recorders to see if in addtion to making dvds from vhs, some might let me use the "DV in" connection as a "DV out". Sony and Toshiba units had these ports. Any suggestions? Where should a newbie look on this great web site for advice? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Usually the 'DV in' on DVRs is just that. No DV (1394A/ilink) out. If you can edit in MPEG, maybe just use the DVD disc. You will have some quality loss compared to DAV and it's a bit harder to edit. Another option is to look for the newer ADAVC-55 or 110. Grass Valley makes it now.
    Quote Quote