VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can a VR headset be used by someone (like myself) that needs prescription glasses, without actually wearing the glasses? there have to be lenses inside for those with normal vision, else the image source would be too near. these lenses would make the image be further away, and have to do so at all viewing angles and uniformly through the full light spectrum. i am wondering if these lenses can be adjusted or replaced. my father once had binoculars that both lenses could be adjusted for my vision for direct use.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Look on google for prescription lens that fit in vr headsets.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Contacts?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Op wants to replace the builtin lens with prescription lens,don't think contacts would help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    can a VR headset be used by someone (like myself) that needs prescription glasses, without actually wearing the glasses? there have to be lenses inside for those with normal vision, else the image source would be too near. these lenses would make the image be further away, and have to do so at all viewing angles and uniformly through the full light spectrum. i am wondering if these lenses can be adjusted or replaced. my father once had binoculars that both lenses could be adjusted for my vision for direct use.
    see here - https://uploadvr.com/how-to-wear-glasses-vr-oculus-quest-2-headsets/
    you can get a prescription VR Lenses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Op wants to replace the builtin lens with prescription lens,don't think contacts would help.
    I understand the premise, I am just questioning it, as the use of contacts would remove the need for prescription vr changes. And I would bet the cost of a pair of contacts would be much less than the cost to specialty fit prescription vr.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thing is contacts are temporary and i think the op want permanent lens mounted.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Thing is contacts are temporary and i think the op want permanent lens mounted.
    i can wear contacts for maybe a minute or two then my eyes water so much i can't see at all and have to take them out. and they are hard to take out in this condition. and after i get them out, i still can't see for 10 to 15 minutes.

contacts just don't work for me. my doctor said that since i can wear glasses, i should do that rather that trying procedures and/or medicines to deal with it. he still recommends against any lens replacement until i get cataracts (he says i will in a few years). those lenses are fixed focus, anyway, so it sounds like life would be semi-miserable with them, anyway.

i think prescription lenses in the VR headset is the way to go. would this be an add-on lens to put in with the lens they normally come with or a single replacement lens that focuses my eyes directly to the screen. i am very near-sighted and have very thick lenses. combining extreme opposing lenses can distort the image and focal plane quite a lot. a single VR lens that matches my eyes and that headset would be ideal (and should be fairly thin).
    Last edited by Skaperen; 3rd Aug 2022 at 01:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, that would be a pretty good reason not to go the contacts way.

Scott
    Quote Quote