VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Originally Posted by Grandpa2390 View Post
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Are you even reading the posts in this thread? The link for the "guide by Smurfo Grande" is in Lord Smurf's post (#10) in this very thread.
    I missed it.
    I didn't see that one. I miss the ones that don't quote or mention me. or I'm not alerted to. Forgive me.

I read 7 and missed 8,9, and 10. I read 11.

thankyou, I will check it out.
    You don't bother to read all the posts in a thread that you start asking for help . . . ? Wow, how to make us all feel warm & fuzzy for trying to help you.
    whatever. I read all the posts that I saw. the three posts that I missed weren't even directed at me. lordsmurf and karma were debating and helping each other about things above my level comprehension. If you aren't feeling warm and fuzzy, you don't have to be here. You are not required to respond or insult.

I'm only interested in constructive responses. If you can't provide that, I'll figure it out on my own or with the help of the people here that are helping me. I think I am showing appreciation the best way I can. If there were a like button or a thank button, I would use it too. I may not be an expert here, but a background in Physics, Engineering, and Computer science, plus the wide internet will provide. I just find it more practical and so much easier to ask people who do know. And I appreciate their insights because they are providing insights from experience and understanding that would take me a long time to acquire on my own.
    Last edited by Grandpa2390; 9th Apr 2018 at 12:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    720x480 YUY2 at 30 fps is about 1.25 GB/min with no compression. Lossless codecs should be able to reduce that to somewhere between 400 and 600 MB/min.
    that's still an extroadinary amount though, isn't it? I can download a movie HD and it is only like 4 GB, tops, for an hour or 2.
    Distribution files are encoded using mathematical and perceptual tricks that vastly reduce the data rate. They do this by throwing away some of the original picture information, so they are called "lossy." When you are making archival copies of important tapes, you really don't want to be throwing away data. HuffYUV and Lagarith are examples of lossless encoders; they reduce file size but don't lose any information.
    I agree. It's just... wow. I have tons of tapes to do. Going to need a couple externals. and the thought of uploading them to the cloud for my parents to have easy access.... out of the question

thanks for the other tip it is done.

thank you and karma and jagabo and lordsmurf (sorry I missed the part of your post. I'm not perfect). for the help you are providing. I am going to check out that guide to videodub and see if it will work for me. then report back. and try my best to make ya'll feel warm and fuzzy for the great and patient help you are providing.
    Last edited by Grandpa2390; 9th Apr 2018 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Grandpa2390 View Post
    the thought of uploading them to the cloud for my parents to have easy access.... out of the question
    You clean up, edit, and compress the video before uploading it for others. The idea is to capture with the best quality you can get, so you have more to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    the thought of uploading them to the cloud for my parents to have easy access.... out of the question
    You clean up, edit, and compress the video before uploading it for others. The idea is to capture with the best quality you can get, so you have more to work with.
    Right. I've worked with audio before, and it's the same deal. capture in the best quality you can get. "compress" (if I am using the term correctly) for distribution, but keep the raw, unaltered material in a safe place... just in case
    Quote Quote  
  5. Quote: " the three posts that I missed weren't even directed at me" . . . ? Of course they were directed at you - it's your bloomin' thread! Unless the posts stray into religion or politics then there's quite likely useful info in there, such as the links to a guide for setting up Virtualdub for capture and improving the chances of keeping the audio in sync . . .

Quote: "I just find it more practical and so much easier to ask people who do know. And I appreciate their insights because they are providing insights from experience and understanding that would take me a long time to acquire on my own." Fine. You might do even better if you actually bothered to read those insights that they took the time to write for you in your thread!

Anyway, rant over. Let us know how you get on with Vdub. Don't forget to have a look at Virtualdub2 (formerly Virtualdub FilterMod) as it is still being developed. Have fun!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have been struggling for years with audio sync issues with my customers VHS.
    Those VHS are often recorded in LP so I need to capture 5 hours at once. I use Lagarith for video and no compression for audio (native 48khz 16bit stereo)

I have been unable to capture any video without audio desync. I have tried for months every possibility under VirtualDub (timing settings, etc..) and tried every advice and all the tutorials i could find (audio latency determination on "Fixed" with 0 ms, "Do not resync between audio and video", etc,etc) . I have bought a TBC with 2 different capture cards, then I tried a professionnal low latency Behringer sound card. But it always failed : the audio always loose sync, even with 0 frames dropped. I even got in touch with the guy in charge of VirtualDub2, but still no solution.

Then someone told me that AmaRec was working flawlessly, far better than virtualdub for audio issues. But this program is discontinued, and I get several error messages after installing it.

Then I tried vMix, and it works like a charm. No frames drop, and no desync. I can use Lagarith in YUY2, and it manages multiple capture cards. 5 hours VHS without any desync : a miracle for me... and no need to resync manually with Avidemux or Adobe Premiere.

Here is my personnal experience.
    Quote Quote