VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My philips dvdr3576h/37 does not want to record to disc. i have tried the disc it said to in manual.It will play dvds fine. I am getting the error code (recording error can not record on this disc e 4 5403900) Why am i getting this code on a brand new disc that it said to use in manual?Any help would be great
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a variety of issues.

The laser could be going bad and that's why it can't record. In such cased I'd advise just getting a new DVD recorder, but it may be theoretically possible for you to replace the burner if yourself if you can find the exact model it uses (perhaps on Ebay) and you have experience doing this kind of work in PCs. You can pay Philips to repair it for you, but usually repairs cost as much as a new model. Do note that Philips has abandoned the North American market for DVD recorders. Their old models were taken over by Magnavox, who has an exclusive deal with WalMart to sell them.

A cheaper option that you could do right now is use better quality media. Just about everything sold in stores in the USA is crap. Taiyo Yuden still makes great discs but you'll have to buy those online. Verbatim can be great, as long as you avoid their Life series and be sure you're getting their discs that use AZO dye. Many stores only have the crummy Verbatim discs, but even those may be better than the garbage that everybody else puts out. Taiyo Yuden does not make bad discs - period. If you want to shop online, here are a couple of good sellers who have Taiyo Yuden and the good Verbatim discs.
    http://www.rima.com
    http://www.supermediastore.com
    Using higher quality discs might fix the problem for now, but if those better discs work OK, it's still a sign that your laser is wearing out. It means that the laser is good enough to work with high quality media but not good enough to work with crap media.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!