VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I started with a 800MG vid as .avi I watched it on my Laptop off the HDD and would score it V=9 A=9. To back it up and practice my skills I decided to copy it onto some DVD-RW I've had for 3yrs & re wiped approx 10x.

For this process I used ConvertXtoDVD setting it to achieve all best results - it produced a folder with .vob .bup & .ifo measuring 4.3GB. Now I know with the bigger size it doesn't mean it has increased quality if it wasn't there originally but atleast it has not cut any corners and it has the max space to convert into. After conversion to DVD settings the program was set to go straight into the burn sequence.

On completion I inserted the newly created disk into my stand alone DVD player to see what had happened. It started to play to my glee the vid=9 on quality and the sound at first appeared ok but when people started talking there were drowned out by the background noise to an extent it was not possible to make out full sentences, rating A=2. Tampering with the equalizer could make a slight improvement to speech but to the detriment of all other sounds.

To check that it was not the conversion from .avi to DVD I played the 4.3GB folder on Laptop it all was high quality - if that was reproduced on the DVD I would be a happy man.

So I hope someone with more experience of these things will not be be put off by my ramblings (trying to include as much detail) can determine the problem ..... the prog used, my recording medium (Maxell DVD-RW)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like a surround sound channels issue on the DVD player attached to your TV. Under the DVD player menu (usually accessible via your remote), there should be a setting about Surround Processing. That's the area in which to experiment.

If that doesn't help, you can pre-process your AVI file audio.. Run it through Avi_Gain_Regular.bat. The resulting Normalized AVI file can then be fed into ConvertXtoDVD

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic314909.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick reply. At the moment I dont have access to Player (at parents) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have facility for surround sound, being a basic model as is their TV which doesn't have surround sound, even so original DVD titles play to a good standard just my attempts falling short.

I'll double check in the morning before giving your other suggestion a go. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote