VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Last night i formated (quick erased) a DVD+RW cd and then burned some data files on it. And when i try to use it on normal DVD-ROM PC drives they won't read it only Sony DRU500AX does.

What's the point of using +RW media if you can't use on normal computers?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MY DVD+RW Fuji/Philips Data DVDs burned with Nero on a Philips 228 work perfectly in my Pioneer 105/117 DVD ROM.
    I thnik, the readabilty depends on your burning SW/method and/or Media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I mean burners read it fine. I took the cd and tried it on my friends computers' dvd drives they all can't read it.

Are DVD medias different such as data, video, music? Or any dvd media can burn data files?

Also i checked my PC's samsung drive with Nero's Info tool and it says it cannot read DVD+RWs.

Isn't +RW supposed to be compatible with most drives out there?
    Quote Quote  
  4. bayarea_us,

From what I understand, there's no absolute answer. The drive used to burn, software, media, and type (+/-R, +/-RW) can all factor into whether a player (standalone or PC) will be able to read discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. did you close the disc or leave it open, try another burning softwre like recordnow and does those same DVD drives that can't read your +RW, do they see your +R's and will they play normal DVD movies also?
    Quote Quote  
  6. So what's the point of having a burner and expensive DVD+RWs if you have 10 in a 100 chance of playback compatibility?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayaraa_us
    So what's the point of having a burner and expensive DVD+RWs if you have 10 in a 100 chance of playback compatibility?
    Let's go back in time a few years ago the when CDRW came out .... Lots of folks screamed an complained that all current generation CDRom drives, and there were millions of them out there, could not read the damn things so they must be useless !!!!

Does anyone remember when 2x CDRs could not ne read in 1x CDRom drives ??

Today however this is a silly statement, CDRW is universally readable and there are no real issues anymore .....

This is now the same problem for -RW and +RW (and -R and +R to some small degree) . As time goes by all new DVDRom drives will have the ability to read such disks, in the mean time there will be a period of difficulty.

In the short term, consult the compatibility lists on this site to see if your DVDRom drive is "compatible"
    Da MoovyGuy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the replies

By the way how do you find the "Compatibility Lists" on this site?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think there is a bit confusion here. The DVD+RW disk (as well as DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RW disks) is perfectly compatible with any decent PC DVD-ROM drives. Even some non-decent PC-DVD-ROM drives perfectly read any of the disks, although at low speed.

If the disk was recorded in ISO format and the session was not closed, then it is very likely that very few DVD-ROM drives will be able to read it, same way older CD-ROM drives don't understand multisession CDs or open session CDs. Even latest technology CD-ROM drives can read open session CDs but at a very low speed (sometimes limited to 1x).

According to the DVD Forum people, (www.dvdforum.com), a DVD+RW, after recorded, has the same optical characteristics of a dual layered DVD-ROM disk. This means any DVD-ROM will be able to read it. However, if the Disk is formatted in an "unknown" filesystem, then the operating system and the drive may not be able to retrieve information from it.

If the session on the DVD is open, use the recording s/w to append to it, append a couple of files and close the session. It may be readable. If not, erase the disk and re-write it with the option to close the session and not having the disk created as a multisession volume. In this case, it will be readable by any PC drive.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote