VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Although I'm an American, when I want to OCR subtitles using Subtitle Edit for Windows 10 from a source voiced in UK English, I'd prefer using a UK English dictionary. But after extensive searching, all I can find are either US English or generic English.

Does anyone know where I can find a United Kingdom dictionary/OCR file that's compatible with Subtitle Edit, please?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't think there's a separate dictionary for uk english,I tried a download for english and all the other listed versions were included.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply! Respectfully, however, Subtitle Edit always prompts me when it first encounters a UK English spelling, such as "colour" and the like. Of course, I save it in my personal dictionary for future use, so I don't see prompts for such words from then on.

That will simply have to do.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. I often perform OCR in Subtitle Edit. I use Tesseract 3.02 and when I install the dictionary for English I get this image:

[Attachment 59721 - Click to enlarge]

And when I choose the dictionary to use I get these varieties of English:

[Attachment 59722 - Click to enlarge]

I prefer to untick the "Prompt for unknown words" and let SE do the OCR in the background. I often find that unknown words are the names of characters in a movie or names of places etc that really don't need editing so when the OCR is done i can click on the ones I need to fix (or Add to User Dictionary) in the Unknown Words tab.
    Quote Quote