VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. My Norton Internet Security runs out soon. The computer technician I go to is recommending I should switch to NOD32? I thank you advance for any information you can provide me to help me with this matter. The NOD32 is cheaper and I have been told it is easier on the computer resources.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just get rid of Norton.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never used nod32 but the last couple versions of norton have been very good and reviewed/tested well. i switched to norton from avg paid a couple years ago when avg started going downhill. no complaints about the current norton here on 6 systems.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Norton and similar products are designed to give non-technical people, especially elderly ones, a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are "completely" protected against the evils of the internet. I work in IT for a living and I don't know a single IT person that I've ever worked with who uses products like this at home. That should tell you all you need to know.

There's no reason you can't get sufficient protection for free. You just need a firewall (I use Windows free firewall with Win 7 but ZoneAlarm and others make good products), an anti-virus (I use Avast) and maybe some kind of anti-spyware tool and you're done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Never tried NOD32 but I hated Norton, it slows my PC down.

Free AV programs:
    AVG Free
    Avast Free
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Free anti-malware programs:
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Malwarebytes

Of course the programs listed above have paid versions but I've been using the free versions for years.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The HP i5 came with Norton Internet Security installed on it for a free trial for 6 months or so. I got the technician to order me the Norton Internet Security box with CD last January. I have found it to be a pretty good program. I am finding though in the area where I live that businesses just don't stock Norton is anymore; you have to make a special order. I have found that unless I am doing a scan that Norton doesn't hog much resources, but maybe that is because I have an i5 computer. To renew N.I.S. it is just a cent shy of 60 bucks and that is probably in U.S. funds.

I have used Avast in the past and I have liked it. I noticed at the moment N.I.S. has taken over as my Firewall, but Windows can take that job back over. So I am waffling between going the free route and N.I.S. which seems to be an all in one protector and there is a comfort that comes with that.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question. I am mulling it all over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Avast Free Home for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman98 said:
    I don't know a single IT person that I've ever worked with who uses products like this
    I totally agree; I've been retired a year now, but worked 20 years in pro AV / IT. Not one tech in the shop, including the computer lab manager used any Norton product at all. Resource hog from the work go, and I still took a lot of virus's off users' computers that got through Norton. As far as firewalls are concerned, I have been using Comodo free firewall and really like it. I am not confident in their AV program though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Weren't there compatability issues with Nod32 and Windows 7? (I am going back a while so they've probably sorted them by now.)

Norton does a pretty good job without slowing the system down too much (startup is slower but then I've got it's 'Boot time' feature turned on to provide extra protection during Windows boot). It certainly gives FAR better protection against a wider range of threats than AVG Free and MSE (I didn't get on with Avast so it didn't stay on my PC long enough to give it a fair chance, so I can't really comment on how good the protecion it provides is.). From repeated personal experience, AVG free, with it's default settings, will slow down your PC more than Norton Internet Security does. The free Malwarebytes is VERY good but you have to manually run it and remember to manually update it everytime you use it. (After several days - 14? - it will tell you that it's definitions are out of date and ask if you want to check for updates.) The free SuperAntiSpyware is also very good but, again, I think you'll find that a lot of those processes you might expect to be automatic aren't. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware should be used in conjunction with an antivirus/internet security program and not be relied on as the sole protection on the PC.

Most of these paid for security packages have free trial versions. Try Nod32 and see how you get on with it. I'd also point out that you can often buy a new version of Norton cheaper than purchasing another year's subscription from Symantec, so you probably won't lose money if you miss the re-subscribe window.

Norton Internet Security also has a built-in spam filter that can integrate with a Microsoft e-mail client as well as a startup manager which lets you easily remove or delay the start of programs that are set to run automatically when Windows boots. (Yes, I know you easily do this with other utils and msconfig, but for the less techy among us . . . )

p.s. I am in no way associated with Symantec, just a pretty happy user who provides tech support for a number of small/medium sized companies and individuals.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    trashed Norton many, many years ago....I use on all of my pc's Freebies like Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, Spyware blaster & Spybot Search & Destroy....that also includes pc's that I build & fix......freebie stuff works...no reason to buy software....nuff said!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eset Smart Security (NOD32+Firewall) for my network (6 machines) is perfect.

Never "any" problem from 4 years. Approved!!

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Norton and similar products are designed to give non-technical people, especially elderly ones, a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are "completely" protected against the evils of the internet. I work in IT for a living and I don't know a single IT person that I've ever worked with who uses products like this at home. That should tell you all you need to know.

There's no reason you can't get sufficient protection for free. You just need a firewall (I use Windows free firewall with Win 7 but ZoneAlarm and others make good products), an anti-virus (I use Avast) and maybe some kind of anti-spyware tool and you're done.
    Heartily agree.

You could take it a step further and run a copy of Windows in a virtual machine and only surf the net through that. As long as you maintain a reasonably current copy of the VM folder you're covered. If anything stuffs up, you close the VM, delete the folder, and copy over your backup folder. Only takes a few minutes and you're back in business, like it never happened.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've been used ESET NOD32/Smart Security for at least a handful of years now. ESET has run into a problem here or there just like all AV vendors but when compared to reading about the number of mistakes made by some vendors ESET's track record is better. I recommend ESET. Before I used ESET I was a diehard Kaspersky fan dating back to the late 1990s but they gradually made changes to their AV over the years that turned me off and lead to my jumping ship. After experimenting I settled on ESET. Given my past experiences dealing with Norton and people who ran Norton on their systems I cannot recommend it to anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just bought Kaspersky Internet Security 3 licenses version for $20 on Boxing Day. It's been on sale all week at Future Shop and Staples in Canada. Your Norton's 360 is also on sale if you want it...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Norton and similar products are designed to give non-technical people, especially elderly ones, a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are "completely" protected against the evils of the internet. I work in IT for a living and I don't know a single IT person that I've ever worked with who uses products like this at home. That should tell you all you need to know...
    My thoughts too. It's also very, very difficult to uninstall. I only know one guy who actually got rid of all of it, and he's very qualified. It still took him ages.

Many tech support/IT people I know actually recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. It's actually quite good, and it's really free. No upselling.

Besides, not one antivirus program actually really works. They all let some malware pass through. It's just plain meaningless to say one is better than another because it blocked 95% versus 93%.

There's an old saying in computer security. The user is the weak link.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Norton and similar products are designed to give non-technical people, especially elderly ones, a warm and fuzzy feeling that they are "completely" protected against the evils of the internet. I work in IT for a living and I don't know a single IT person that I've ever worked with who uses products like this at home. That should tell you all you need to know...
    My thoughts too. It's also very, very difficult to uninstall. I only know one guy who actually got rid of all of it, and he's very qualified. It still took him ages.
    I don't know where these stories keep coming from? On the rare occasion that Norton doesn't uninstall from the Control Panel, just download and run the Norton Removal Tool. Job done and REALLY difficult! (Where's the sarcasm smiley...! )
    Quote Quote  
  17. MSE is pretty good and pretty light on resources and can be used on up to 10 computers in a business. I have it on a couple of my machines here and recommend it, in conjunction with other protections, for a number of clients - mainly private individuals/families or clients running older or less powerful computers/laptops/netbooks. If it does what you need it to do and you're aware of it's shortcomings then happy surfing.

As someone here has already said, no security program is 100% effective, and some are better in some areas than others. I used to be a big fan of ZoneAlarm (both the free firewall and the security suite) until it got sold off, took ages to come out with a viable version that would work on Vista 64, and then just became unstable, by which time Norton was improving after the dreadful 2004/2005 versions, and I switched back to Norton around 2007/8, but even I was getting a bit fed up with all the info and permissions boxes that ZoneAlarm kept popping onto my screen. Many of the people I'd moved across to ZoneAlarm didn't know what to do, and either tried ringing me whenever a box appeared () or always clicked 'allow' or always clicked 'deny' neither of which, as WE all know, is going to be the right decision EVERY time!

Kaspersky is a pretty good all-rounder and is offered free of charge by some banks if you bank online with them. I've NEVER gotten on with McAfee and have NO idea why it's so popular?! But it is, so there must be SOME benefit to having it on your computer . . . ?

As I said before, most of these products are either free or have free trial versions that last for at least two weeks. Do some research, see which ones have features that you want, read a few reviews, and then try those that look interesting to you. Just remember to unistall the previous program before installing the next one. When you find something that works for you, with the features you're looking for and at the right price, use it. (Obviously, if it's universally panned by pretty much everybody, then I'd probably try something else!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Norton is getting a lot of hate here based on the now distant past. It SUCKED in 2006 and for years before that. They hired new people for the 2007 version and since the 2009 version it has been very good. It uninstalls just fine UNLESS you have had your PC on for days and its in bad state. In that one case all I had to do was reboot and run the uninstall again. I test, nothing hardcore just use the demo, both the 360 and NIS every year since 2008 and they have been quite good. Very quick and clean installs and uninstalls. Things have changed get used to it. Try it instead of going on the past.

Eset is pretty good as well especially in the new version 5 as the old version 4 had a weakness with new viruses that several other AV products had already made huge improvements on.

Kaspersky uses less memory but not much less, Eset uses less than the half the memory of either but it isn't as strong at clean up as either according to testing by AV-Test.org. Norton is no longer allowing AVcomparitives to test it and I am not thrilled at all about that.

At present I am trying Bit-Defender and THIS TIME it doesn't seem to be any worse that the previous three at slowing me down. Maybe even better but I won't be sure till I make a really big download as Norton and Kaspersky both had issues with that. Last year I yanked Bit-Defender before the trial was over because I really felt it slowing me down more than nearly anything else.

So I am just fine with all four I have mentioned. At the moment I am pleased and surprised that Bit-Defender isn't annoying me EXCEPT that every time I going into a full screen program it feels the need to tell

Game Mode Enabled

Every bloody time and I can't find a way to stop the stupid and unneeded notification. Other than that it has tested as being exceptionally strong at both AvCompatives and AV-test.org.

I am using a rather old PC without hyperthreading or multiple cores on Windows XP. I don't let them get involved in my browsers as I use Firefox with No Script and don't really need then checking every bloody site before they let me go there. Since I use the Beta version most don't work in that in any case.

Is there a perfect answer for virus problems. Not with Windows except to browse in a VM and even that won't protect if you download anything. Of course you could get really paranoid and, with a newer PC than I have, run a Linux in a VM for all your browsing BUT you would still to test every download. Even the videos as they can lie about being a MP4 while actually being a WMV which can carry executables and thus a nasty.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ethlred View Post
    Norton is getting a lot of hate here based on the now distant past. It SUCKED in 2006 and for years before that...
    Wrong. Exactly wrong. Norton was good years ago when Peter Norton still ran it. Then he sold it.

It has SUCKED ever since.

jman put it best. I do not know a single reasonably knowledgable user who uses it. And haven't for probably 20 years.

I had Norton Utilities on one of my laptops because it was pre installed. The first thing I did online after installing firefox was install another antivirus program.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi Rob, I'm Tim. Nice to meet you. Now you do know a reasonably knowledgable user who uses Norton! (and I'm also single! )

Did you even try the Norton on your laptop or did you just let your outdated prejudice guide you? The last few Norton Internet Security packages have been way, WAY better than those of a few years ago. I too have been using Norton products since before Peter Norton sold off his company (loved that pink shirt!). I'm not saying that it's either the best or the best value security package around, but it certainly doesn't deserve to have all this unsubstantiated BS piled on it either.
    Quote Quote  
  21. if your aren't a high risk net surfer try Microsoft Security Essentials it's free .here in the US Comcast(members only) is giving Norton for free just please download it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I think I will get the tech guy to order N.I.S. next week. He can order it from Future Shop Canada for about 40 bucks. I gave a lot of thought to the different options available. But doing a web search today kind of pushed me to this decision. Norton has this web protection that indicates if a website is safe or not and that is quite helpful. I remember several incidence over the course of the last year of where Norton blocked intrusion attempts while I was surfing the web. Google itself is helpful as well as they sometimes have a line saying "This website could damage your computer" and if I notice that I don't click on that link. I will give N.I.S. another try and if I notice a problem I will switch to Avast Free Edition. Future Shop is offering a better price than Norton itself they want 30 bucks more and no box with CD.

oldfart13: Thanks for your post. Because of your post, I checked the Future Shop Canada website and saw the 40 buck N.I.S. I will have to pay the shipping the handling and whatever fee the tech wants, but if I can afford another 2 TB portable hard drive as well, it will work out to my liking.
    Last edited by Tom Saurus; 4th Jan 2013 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may also consider buying it from Amazon.com (See link below). The U.S. price is listed as $24.70 for either the Boxed or Download version. One thing you should never do is purchase any kind of subscription software directly from Symantec. When the subscription ends they will automatically renew your subscription for you at full retail price $79.99, but it looks like they have it on special right now at $49.99. I bet that if they renewed you right now they would charge you the $79.99 full retail price.

http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2013-Download/dp/B008SCMUUA/ref=sr_1_1?...+security+2013
    Quote Quote  
  24. KTH: You are correct Symantec isn't offering me a good deal to renew my subscription directly with them. They want $69.99

I don't have a credit card, and I don't want to hire someone to take me out to the big City to buy stuff at Future Shop, so the technician has been kind enough to order things for me. I noticed that Future Shop has some free shipping on items over 20 bucks if ordered over the web. So I am thinking that ordering the hard drive and N.I.S. via the technician and then paying him a fee for his trouble is really a good way of doing this. So far he seems to be competent at fixing computers and honest, so it makes one feel good to support local people. Not all the local merchants are competent, honest or even particularly nice to their customers and the same goes for the big city. I just thought of a DVD I want to buy from Future Shop as well, so I better get him to order it all from Future Shop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too have been using Norton products since before Peter Norton sold off his company (loved that pink shirt!).
    I have not been using it that long. I had an Amiga then. And an Apple ][+ before that. Norton has changed for the better since 2006. Is it perfect NO. None are.

All indications are the McCafee still sucks in comparison to most of the rest. I can't even install it. Can't install Vipre either. In both cases it might be they would work if I was reinstall my OS after at least 18 months of replacing the AV nearly every month.

There is a 'new' AV out there called Total Defense. I have yet to see a review and when I asked a rep he could not tell me of one. My expectations are so low I am not testing it EVER in my machine without some really seriously good reviews from more than one source.

Total Defense = Computer Associates, only spun off and sold to two brain damaged ex CA employees. They have to be deranged to buy that crap. Under CA it NEVER got a review that even achieved mediocrity.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Just as a sign-off on this thread, I just received my March(?!!!) copy of PC Pro 2013 which has a lab test of 16 Security Suites. Sadly NOD32 isn't one of the ones tested.

Bit Defender Internet Security Suite 2013 came out the overall winner with a 100% score for all of AV-test's zero day malware tests (whatever they are) and a 99% score for protection against older malware.

Avast Free was recommended with a 98% score on the Zero-day tests but notes that it doesn't include a firewall, spam filter, or parental controls, amongst some other things, and has advertising for other Avast products on it's control panel. It uses 82Mb of RAM.

Kaspersky is good but a bit of a memory hog, and more expensive than most of the other suites on test.

Free AVG 2013 got a 91% zero-day score, apparently has a misleading interface, is pretty sparse of protection features that many of the other packages have, and takes up more than 3 times the memory that Avast does.

McAfee only got an 83% score in the malware tests, is slow, uses a relatively large amount of memory (although less than AVG) and is worth avoiding.

Norton Internet Security Suite 2013 scored 96% on the zero-day malware tests, added just 13 seconds (apparently pretty avaerage) to the boot time of an Acer Aspire 5750G laptop running Windows 7, has loads of configurable features and, using just 51Mb, has the smallest memory use of all of the tested suites.

Oh yes, MSE added just 13 seconds to the boot time, used 125Mb of memory, gets relatively infrequent updates because it uses Windows Update to get them, and scored just 67% on the zero-day tests - I shall be having a good look at Avast as a probable replacement!

Edit: Total Defense isn't one of the ones tested either.

I had a 48K ZX Spectrum - 5 minutes to load a game from a cassette player, the cheaper and nastier the better! Atic Attack, Manic Miner, even started writing a Star Trek game in machine code - got as far as getting a plan view Enterprise sprite moving around the screen and firing photon torpedos (with a very bad approximation of the noise) and the jump to warp effect with the stars flying towards you . . . happy days! Then we got an Apricot with twin 720K floppy disk drives, then an Apricot Zen with an 80286 processor, an early version of Windows and a trackball. Ah, the Zen, warming your feet on the external power supply when it was freezing outside . . . happy days! Then we got an Amstrad 1512 with EGA graphics, quickly followed by an Amstrad 1640 with a 32Mb hard drive and VGA graphics! Put in a 286 daughter-board and it flew! Then the usual collection of 386s, 486s (SX,DX and DX2s) by which time I was building them myself. Happy Days! You try telling the youth of today just how lucky they and they won't believe you . . .!
    Last edited by TimA-C; 5th Jan 2013 at 07:54. Reason: Additional Info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AV-TEST.ORG

Click image for larger version

Name:	38Pkz.png
Views:	404
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	15547

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've never heard of "Norman: Security Suite Pro 9". Judging by it's scores, I probably won't hear of it again! The name doesn't really inspire much confidence. Rather like calling it "Brian" or "Shirley" (although one one of our most successful wrestlers here in the UK was Shirley Crabtree aka Big Daddy so who am I to judge?)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Oh yes, MSE...gets relatively infrequent updates because it uses Windows Update to get them, and scored just 67% on the zero-day tests
    That's not true, MSE gets daily definition updates. That 67% score is horrible though.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tom Saurus View Post
    I think I will get the tech guy to order N.I.S. next week. He can order it from Future Shop Canada for about 40 bucks. I gave a lot of thought to the different options available. But doing a web search today kind of pushed me to this decision. Norton has this web protection that indicates if a website is safe or not and that is quite helpful.
    It's your money and I'm not criticizing you, but you can get this same kind of thing for FREE. Via Google as you mentioned later and Avast offers something along those lines too. Again, you don't HAVE to pay for any of what you got, but it seems that you are determined to do so anyway so I hope it meets your needs because it would really suck to pay for something when you could get the same functionality for free and then not get what you wanted.
    Quote Quote