1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 4K Screen / Monitor for my PC.
    Does anyone know if there is a :
    a) Motherboard that handles 4K
    b) Player / Burner that handles 4K
    c) Software for 4K
    d) Processor that handles 4K
    e) Whatever else I need to play 4K disks on my PC i.e. cables, connector, etc.

I have lots of 4K Blu-Rays - but cannot play them.

Please advise.

Thank you.
    andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Playing 4k Blu-rays on a computer is not really officially supported on purpose, so you pretty much need to rip them to the computer with something like MakeMKV plus a drive that supports BDXL but does not support AACS 2.0 You also need to not update the firmware on these drives as they patched many of these drives after they were made with download updates.

One list of viable drives with firmware versions that work.
    https://club.myce.com/t/the-ultimate-ultra-hd-blu-ray-friendly-drive-list-with-recomme...best/399725/15

I'm sure there are other lists out there to look for. Ripping a UHD disc to a drive will use on average ~60GB per movie.

As far as the rest of your hardware needs, you just need a graphics card that supports 4k HEVC decoding. Which is pretty much anything after the RX460 (AMD) and after the Nvidia GTX 1030.
    Last edited by KarMa; 10th Apr 2018 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wouldn't it be easier to just hook up a 4k bluray settop player to your tv? They can be had for ~$100USD now.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Andy,

As far as I know the only 4K player software out here right now is Cyberlink's PowerDVD 17.
    They have a full page of requirements to play 4K (along with all the other supported formats) here:https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html

The jist of it is that you need full HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 path (motherboard, cable, monitor) from your integrated processor to your monitor, as well as a Kaby Lake (7th Gen) or later Intel processor.

You will aslo need a special UHD Blu-Ray player (regular blu-ray and BDXL don't work).
    Here is one that comes with the software included: Here

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andy jackson View Post
    I have a 4K Screen / Monitor for my PC.
    Does anyone know if there is a :
    a) Motherboard that handles 4K
    b) Player / Burner that handles 4K
    c) Software for 4K
    d) Processor that handles 4K
    e) Whatever else I need to play 4K disks on my PC i.e. cables, connector, etc.

I have lots of 4K Blu-Rays - but cannot play them.

Please advise.

Thank you.
    andy
    Windows PC solution approved by the Blu-ray Disc Association:

a) & b) List of Motherboards with HDMI 2.0a and UHD Blu-ray burners: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108 Note that Intel 200-series chipset motherboards and Intel 300-series chipset motherboards with SGX support and DisplayPort 1.2 will work with a handful of rather expensive UHD monitors with DP 1.2 or higher and HDCP 2.2 support, such as a LG 27UK850-W or a Dell UP2718Q.

c)Software: Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 Ultra, Cyberlink PowerDVD 18 Ultra or custom OEM version of Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra bundled with some UHD Blu-ray drives. OS: Fully updated Windows 10. Latest Chipset drivers for motherboard. SGX must be enabled.

d) Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake Core i Desktop CPUs

e) UHD TV or UHD Monitor with HDMI 2.0a or HDMI 2.0b. ... or UHD monitor with DP 1.2 (or higher) and HDCP 2.2 support if using DisplayPort. High speed HDMI cable. Good DisplayPort cable if using DisplayPort.

[Edit]I remembered an interesting article I had read about using Kaby Lake NUCs (Intel NUC7i7BNHX and the ASRock Beebox-S 7200U) for UHD Blu-ray playback: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12171/a-budget-home-theater-pc-setup-4k-hdr-uhd-bluray-and-more/9
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Apr 2018 at 12:11.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!