VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm trying to transfer some family videos on Video8 tapes to DVD. I managed to borrow a Hi8 camcorder which plays the Video8 tapes with no issues. The only outputs on the camcorder is RCA but it only has one yellow plug and one black plug. It also has a cord like that included. How do I connect that cable? My DVD recorder has yellow + white + red. I tried plugging the black cord into white but the recording only gets sound on one speaker that way.
    Is there a RCA cord that is yellow + black in one end and yellow + white + red in the other end or what do I need to do to get audio in both speakers? This camera and this DVD recorder is all I have to work with and no option to get anything else unless there is a cord I can order that will make this work. If there is something like that on for example Amazon, please send a link because I can't find anything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need RCA Splitter from 1 Male to 2 Female (beware, the linked product works, but for some reason on the item that I received the black plug has yellow color, this does not affect the functionality, but may throw you off). This is to split your mono audio into two channels. So now you have three female connectors: two for audio and one for video. Then you use your existing cable with three prongs on each end.

Or, if you capture to a computer, you can either use your single channel as mono, but AFAIK not all containers accept mono sound. Or you can split your single channel into two progammatically, you can do it in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    You need RCA Splitter from 1 Male to 2 Female (beware, the linked product works, but for some reason on the item that I received the black plug has yellow color, this does not affect the functionality, but may throw you off). This is to split your mono audio into two channels. So now you have three female connectors: two for audio and one for video. Then you use your existing cable with three prongs on each end.

Or, if you capture to a computer, you can either use your single channel as mono, but AFAIK not all containers accept mono sound. Or you can split your single channel into two progammatically, you can do it in VirtualDub.
    Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You are welcome!

I suppose you have this one to complete the connection:

Quote Quote