VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I would do more tapes, maybe a dozen, but I think you're base idea is a lot more sound. Be sure the tapes are of 3-4 mixed types (several commercial in two grades, several homemade in two grades).

You would also do well to introduce S-VHS tapes into the mix, since this is an S-VHS player. Let's see if the 101US (or maybe just your model, or maybe just a certain production line/timeframe if there are multiple people with this issue) has a lesser quality VHS playback but okay S-VHS.

All I'd say is take time for your testing, and it may be months. Do not just to conclusions with too small a test/sample. I test lots of things myself, and those tests can takes months (sometimes years, for a few items). I really cannot test anything in a matter of hours, days or weeks (with a few exceptions).

But this would definitely make for an interesting read. There may be nothing you can do about it (my gut feeling right now is you're seeing a combo of VHS and NTSC flaws), but still an interesting read.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also leaning toward the conclusion that you are, lordsmurf. I think the banding is probably impact errors (related to both format and hardware), which the JVC I had showed worse than anything else I've personally seen.

I think it'd be great if someone had the time to do a more detailed test like we're talking about. As it is, I'm just looking for time to do 1 or 2 tests caps with my 9500u...doing a detailed test like this is out of the question for me right now.

My conclusion at this point remains that if your personal machine does not show a high degree of the banding, then don't worry about it. But if it does, maybe you can do better. My 9500u looks good, my SR-V101US choked - there's no going around this. So, for now, I'm a-okay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is getting out-of-control people !!!

I can barely see the banding in any of these pictures!

I think you have all gone a little nuts! :P

And yes sure I see some banding here or there but even when I see it ... I just barely do so ... can it be that bad i.e., noticeable?

I think you all need to chill

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish I had tossed a TBC into the mix when I was testing with "A View To A Kill" so I could've made captures instead of just watching it.

Like I said in an earlier post, I did notice some video noise and such on VHS tapes on any VCR at roughly the same position as the SRV101's bars. It seems like the SRV101's DNR manages to "clean" that noise into nice green bars. I **really** wish I had better examples of that archived. Although this does happen with the DNR off (and edit off) so there's some OTHER video circuitry truly at fault (not the DNR function).

I noticed the banding on the SRV101 even on tapes recorded by it and played back on it, in SVHS-ET (I didn't try true SVHS). Those tapes played back on the 5912 without massive noticable banding (as they looked on the SRV101)

It is most likely some sort of impact error on the SRV101, that happens to many VCRs along the line in the JVC family, some worse than others. It WOULD be interesting if someone else got an SRV101 to actually try this on. The biggest problem with the bands is they're either not there, or VERY faint on other tested VCRs, so it's super noticable on the SRV101 once you see it. (meaning, yes, we all may be super-anal but I do think the VCR is performing sub-par. I saw the bars-- VERY lightly and much less noticable-- on the 5912)

It is MUCH MUCH more noticable in action than it is in still captures-- I noticed it the most on people's faces when the face would be moving but the green bars over their head weren't. Personally, I can handle VCR video "static"/grain better than green bars, but that's a personal thing (I expect to see static/noise in VHS, but not green bars..!)

[I have a slightly, but not entirely off-topic question-- assuming the SRV101's problems are more "quirky" in nature, i.e., VHS+NTSC issues combine and cause the banding.. is the GoVideo 650/JVC 9800 probably still a better VCR, assuming it's in decent shape? ]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A thought just came to me..

Has anyone tried the same vcr, but the PAL version ??
    (assuming there is a PAL version) too see if this
    reagion suffers the same problem.

Mabye this can be narrowed down to an NTSC thing.

-vhelp 3861
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Justin42
    It is MUCH MUCH more noticable in action than it is in still captures-- I noticed it the most on people's faces when the face would be moving but the green bars over their head weren't.
    I agree. These types of errors are much easier to notice during motion. Chroma shifts on still images could be perceived as the image itself; until it moves. Then you notice if its the image or the media.

[I have a slightly, but not entirely off-topic question-- assuming the SRV101's problems are more "quirky" in nature, i.e., VHS+NTSC issues combine and cause the banding.. is the GoVideo 650/JVC 9800 probably still a better VCR, assuming it's in decent shape? ]
    Generally speaking, these errors are dependent upon the quality of the transport. I know that the 9800 has a better transport than the 2901. I suspect that the SRV101 transport is similar to the 2901. I hope the 9800 works better for you.

The transports in some older VCRs before TBC/DNR were even better. I have a 7600 and a 9600, but I capture most often with my 6800.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What format are you seeing the bands in?
    svhs,svhs-et,vhs?

I seem to recall seeing something of this type on my 9500s when I first got them.
    The 101 seems ok to me but my monitor sucks now.
    I think the jvc tuners suck in a big way. Could this be part of it?

Would better tape help? I'm looking for good low priced tape.
    Anyone know where I can get Agfa or Basf?
    The jvcs always seemed sensitive to tape quality.
    I'm trying some broacast grade fuji and sony, but I can't use it for everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhs?
    Would better tape help? I'm looking for good low priced tape.
    Anyone know where I can get Agfa or Basf?
    The jvcs always seemed sensitive to tape quality.
    I'm trying some broacast grade fuji and sony, but I can't use it for everything.
    Better AND low priced? Did I really just read that?
    Pick one or the other, most of the time. Unless you get a lucky deal.

AGFA tapes? Not seen those in forever, don't recall them being all that great either. BASF doesn't really do much with tapes anymore. You should find good JVC or TDK branded tapes, not the cheap ones either ($1 each stuff).

"Broadcast grade" has never meant a whole lot, that became nothing more than a fun naming scheme about 7 years ago. I'd just run with any S-VHS tape from TDK or Sony. You can still find those in most places that have S-VHS and D-VHS equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I am looking for a cheap but decent tape for most use. The broadcast grade is not what I would expect but does seem better, but it's $10 each or more. I had a sony shatter internally from the spool of tape due to thin plastic. That didn't happen in the old days of cassettes. I used to use Maxell and overnight they went to hell. They changed manufacture from Atlanta to overseas and the tapes won't even load in the jvc. Crap.
    I'm using a TDK midrange and the sony HG seems okay, though I no longer have faith in sony at all.

Can someone tell me if the banding problem is in all modes or et or svhs only?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhs?
    Can someone tell me if the banding problem is in all modes or et or svhs only?
    Haven't tested that yet. Maybe soon. So far we are only talking about VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick update, I got the SDV-650 but it arrived damaged (it rattled BADLY-- like something fell off internally during shipment). It played back tapes fine, and I did notice the color banding on the SDV-650 almost as bad (but not quite) as the SRV-101U. It didn't get any signal when plugged into the cable, though. (it worked as a player but couldn't record as it couldn't receive anything)

Unfortunately, it's turned into an Ebay/PayPal nightmare with the seller becoming increasingly uncooperative. Right now I have neither the VCR [UPS took it for a damage-inspection and returned it to the seller; I just filed a dispute with PayPal today] or my money, so I am pretty much stalled on my ability to do any further testing...

What sucks is I basically liked the VCR (when the banding wasn't too bad it played back very nicely). I didn't realise when I gave it back to UPS I'd never see it again, I thought I'd get it back and could at least have it repaired or something. Oh well.

That's it, no more Ebay for VCRs for me. I'll probably end up with another SRV-101, assuming I see any money back from my dispute.

(sorry for the OT but I figured I'd jump in)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Justin42, please tell me you got insurance when you got that vcr through ebay. I feel your pain...ebay is always a roll of the dice. Hopefully it gets worked out quick enough for you. My VCR that I got off of ebay a couple of months ago is actually getting repaired right now for a fast-forward that eats tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't get any additional insurance, because it wasn't offered. (I thought that was weird, but the guy had 100% feedback over 2-3 years, and the auction looked like previous auctions he listed, so I didn't think anything of it. Of course, since I bought the VCR, he's gotten 2 negative feedbacks, including one calling him a "buyer's nightmare"). What is weird is I had a bad feeling about it from the time I hit "Pay". (why didn't that hit me BEFORE I bid on it??? ) I am hoping PayPal will help me, but at least I paid with a credit card and should be able to dispute it with American Express if everything else falls apart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but at least I paid with a credit card and should be able to dispute it with American Express if everything else falls apart.
    Yes. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Justin42, I've had two such eBay experiences that you describe (3, actually, but #3 was over a $6 toy, I didn't care and just dropped the matter). An eBay seller with 2 yrs good return vibes, and my SLV-585HF shows up with crumpled NEWSPAPER (!!!!) for packing, the remote is rattling around in the box which is half-air inside. I'd got another '585' earlier, not in too bad shape. But THIS ONE had no take-up arm, no take up guides, the tape passed over the video heads but never made it over the AC heads or capstan -- just went straight into the takeup reel (!@#$). I complained, the seller claims I stole the parts (fat chance, who steals dried-up 14-year-old plastic parts you can buy new on the 'Net, cheap?).

Complained to PayPal, went thru the motions, etc., was offered a refund. But got to looking at the '585' and said, what the heck, when will I get another chance at one of these? $410 later, it's rebuilt, runs smooth, has a great image, very good DNR, gives fantastic captures from ancient VHS stuff.

But, alas -- eBay I fear has been overrun by what we euphemestically refer to as "entrepeneurs" (known in previous eras as "highwaymen" or as, more accurately, bandits). Yes, I got a still-running '585', a fairly good HR-S7600U, a Panny PV-8662 in remarkably pristine shape, but.....a few hundred bucks and a thousand headaches later, I've had enough of eBay.

BTW, I read that the banding you folks speak of is due to static buildup on the video drum. And many VCR makers long ago stopped adding antistat gizmos to their stuff. Now and then I hit my VHS tapes with a coupla shots from my ZeroStat anti-static ceramic "gun" (well, it works on my vinyl LP's and my CD's and DVD's. Aim the ZeroStat, click a coupla times, and you can see lint and dust just fall off the damn things onto the floor). About twice a year I aim it at the video heads. Haven't seen any banding.

But, then, I didn't see any BEFORE I used the ZeroStat, either, but I wasn't looking. In any case, I once dropped a VHS on my carpet while vacuuming the joint, and when I picked up the casette, which fell near the vacuum's motor, the VHS case had a film of fine dust on one side. I tried to wipe it off, but static "cling" pulled it right off my fingers and back onto the plastic. So I "shot" the casette three times with my ZeroStat, from 3 angles. Click, click, click. The dust fell off -- literally, fell off onto the carpet from whence it came; from the light through the nearby windows, the fine stuff just glistened as it fell down, like eentsy-weentsy snow.

What the hell....you've tried everything else, right?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note again the JVC SR-V101 capture with Steve Martin on an earlier page of this thread at:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=280412&highlight=

I note burned-out highlights in the whites, and obvious glitter and streaking. I saw this same effect on (returned) HR-S9911. I read here and on older VCR repair sites that this results from 2nd-rate analogue output circuits in later JVC's. I have to add that I've never seen those artifacts until I played some of my tapes on the 9911. The worst example was my retail VHS of a B&W 30's film "It's A Gift". When I saw those artifacts dominating the screen as played on my 9911, it merely added to my disappointment.

Now, JVC has made good stuff in the past (I know, I own a used one from the late 90's and I like it). It's a shame a factory fix couldn't undo this problem, but if it's truly the analog circuit then it would simply be replaced with the same circuit; I doubt those output modules are compatible between models. When I returned that 9911 to J&R in Manhatan and showed the salesperson a printed screen cap of those streaks, he immediately said, "Looks like you have a bad AGC circuit on output". So I have to agree with the idea that it's not all JVC's that do this, it's just the later ones.

It's a shame that the video industry had to shoot itself in the foot this way. I don't for a minute accept the notion that VHS and S-VHS died solely because of DVD. Home DVD didn't even get big until recently; this was preceded by several years of VCR's becoming progressively worse, until a $500 VCR was junk compared to same-price models of the early and late 90's. I recall that people were still hogging good video stores to spend big bucks for high-end VCR's until about 2000, when the new models from ALL makers proved to be irrepairable junk. Even today, I see in stores people shaking their heads sadly when they're told, "Sorry, we don't carry VCR's or videotape any more." I see piles of returned DVD machines in showroom floors, returned because people can't figure out how to use them, or just won't tolerate the bother of working with a 130-page user guide. (Oh, well, thanks to those returns I managed to pick up a couple of decent DVD machines cheap cheap cheap, nothing at all wrong with them, as my Toshiba XS34 and my spare ES20 will testify).

Seems to me that someone with good repair skills could do a good part-time business rebuilding decent VCR's. I don't have that skill nor the time to learn it. I find statistics on the 'Net saying that hordes of people are scouring auctions and clearance shops, looking for good used high-end VCR's. Many are willing to buy a crappy unit and have it rebuilt at great expense (I did). So I don't think high-end VCR's are dead -- they're just not available, at the choice of an industry whose ultimate bottom line suffers, I think, from excluding a large video market from their sights. I see that in the analogue audio market, makers still offer turntables and non-digital gear. Recently on eBay a Dyanco PAT-5 preamp sold for $520 -- twice what it cost new in 1979.

Or, I don't know....I'm semi-retired. Maybe I could find time to learn how to rebuild these beautiful old monsters....
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, I can agree with some of your comments, but..

I think that the majority of user-troubles (with most anything)
    (regarding returns) is the fact that the troubles were not actually
    troubles, but were rather user-media-troubles

(without going into detail) ...

You see, its my belief that most peoples experiences with the various
    kinds of toys are that the media itself, and how it was processed, from
    inserting a brand-spanking-new tape -to- recording onto it, and then
    storing it (for who knows' how long) and then, coming over here, reading
    other peoples ideas, and then attempting them with various devices learnt
    here, and ultimately having nothing but bad expectations, yada yada.

The FOUR common faults are:

** user error
    ** device being used for archival in past times
    ** storage of archived media
    ** and, user error again, in todays times of video ERA

And, because of these facts, that is the cause of all the problems,
    and the units original intended purpose/function is still the same.

Thus, it all boils down to a misunderstanding between User-error and Machine.

Now, getting back to the original topic..

I'm still not sold on the causes yet. I still believe that these banding
    issues are related in some way to Macrovision and/or the curcuitry that
    triggers or handles it during a given units play.
    But, I also believe it has something to do with a given units built-in
    filter curcuitry. To, it migh be a two-parter or something. I don't
    know. Right now, I'm just continuing my theorizing of posibilities

(I still think that a separate thread should be utilized for this color
    banding issue, so that no partciular unit brand is looked upon as 'blame')

-vhelp 3993
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I see these streaks on old tapes on all my VCR's, to varying degres and in varying places. On a 15 year old VHS tape at SLP from my rabbit-ear antenna (have you fainted yet?) my Panny PV-9668 has faint magenta blemishes across the middle. On my HR-S7600 they're in the same place (so I blame the tape for that), but both players have other faint magenta or cyan blemishes in different places (I blame the machines for the latter), on different frames. On one frame, theres a big yellow freckle, on the Panny in the same frame it isn't there -- instead, the Panny has a bluish freckle in the upper right.

So if you add all the variables -- the medium, the hardware, the color space differences, the phases of the moon -- it's an uphill battle. The only cure is a frame-by-frame effort. So it should take only 40 years to completely clean up a 90-minute movie from VHS tape. Do it in a shorter time with $100,000 worth of hardware and software. I'd say, frankly, just do the best you can within reason and budget, and live with it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    This post caught my eye as I too own a JVC-sr101us machine..I decided to look at my machine with an NTSC color bar test pattern tape..Guess what, I too have a similar effect showing in my
    color bars..As a retired VCR repair technician I too kick my self for not noticing this B4..
    I compared the color bar tape on my old Samsung machine with that of the JVC machine and
    did notice stationary banding of colors on the JVC..I doubt there is very little that can be done by a repair station unless JVC has posted a "repair note" to this artifact..My guess is that the problem lies in the chroma demodulator curcuits which is housed inside a larce IC chip..
    I tried different menu settings on my machine but that made no difference..
    I noticed that some of your screen shots exhibited what I call interlace problems where as the
    trace is not the same timing for odd and even scan lines..My machine at least does NOT seem to have this problem...
    My guess is(only a guess) any JVC machine that uses this same chroma chip will have to carefully viewed B4 purchase...I can be all wet as I have been out of the loop for many years now..
    Good Luck
    jolphil
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn
    Justin42, I've had two such eBay experiences that you describe (3, actually, but #3 was over a $6 toy, I didn't care and just dropped the matter). An eBay seller with 2 yrs good return vibes, and my SLV-585HF shows up with crumpled NEWSPAPER (!!!!) for packing, the remote is rattling around in the box which is half-air inside. I'd got another '585' earlier, not in too bad shape. But THIS ONE had no take-up arm, no take up guides, the tape passed over the video heads but never made it over the AC heads or capstan -- just went straight into the takeup reel (!@#$). I complained, the seller claims I stole the parts (fat chance, who steals dried-up 14-year-old plastic parts you can buy new on the 'Net, cheap?).

Complained to PayPal, went thru the motions, etc., was offered a refund. But got to looking at the '585' and said, what the heck, when will I get another chance at one of these? $410 later, it's rebuilt, runs smooth, has a great image, very good DNR, gives fantastic captures from ancient VHS stuff.
    (not to jump too far out of the thread again) I did finally get the full refund, between PayPal and Amex. Almost 3 months later! (Got $175 back from PayPal under buyer protection, and the rest via chargeback via Amex-- took a while since they couldn't understand how the $175 from PayPal fit in!) I really was tempted to do what you said, but I stupidly believed the guy and gave it back to UPS for a damage inspection, which meant he got it back (at the time I didn't know UPS automatically returned damage inspections to the sender). I really would've liked to have tried to at least have a local VCR guy (who's done a decent job on stuff in the past) take a look at the SDV-650 to see what was rattling and if it could be fixed, as it worked as a player and I really liked the results.

I would think there would be a sizeable.. not "large" but big enough.. market for at least 1-2 high end models that were built fairly well, around the $500ish price point. Of course, I must be wrong, since JVC discontinued the 9911 and the SRV-101 isn't all that well built. (even without the specific issues of this thread, I couldn't believe the difference in build quality between the SRV-101 and the SDV-650 I had!) I wish I could feel like I could have faith in Ebay auctions but I really don't. This was the only time I've been scammed on Ebay but it was a big enough (3 month!) hassle that I'm leery. I need to take a trek over to the aforementioned guy I use for VCRs to see what he has in stock (he has a bit of a side business buying old tank-like units from people, rebuilding them, and selling them...).

As for the topic at hand, it seems hard to believe it's a static buildup issue-- since it's a problem on brand new VCRs. Or do you mean it's on the tapes and immediately transfers to the heads? I don't think it has anything to do with Macrovision since it happens on all sorts of tapes...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Justin42, the article I read on the 'net a while back about static buildup referred to buildup on the drum just by playing or recording. But that article was from early 2001 and, I think, referred to some pretty old machines.

Earlier I mentioned an SR-V101 capture of a frame from a Steve Martin film, posted in this thread. Streaks in the brights and toasted highlights looked exactly like those in both copies of the 9911's I bought a few months ago, and returned. So I'm glad I got my HR-S7600 (built better than the 9911) off eBay and had it tuned at a local JVC-preferred site about 2 miles from my home -- at a price that ultimately upped the total cost to that of a new, discounted 7600 in 2000. I see color bands thru the 7600, as others have, but faintly. They don't even show up on my tv. But I've seen the same from other VCR's, so I'm blaming NTSC and VHS, and the tapes.

jolphil, thanks for the input. I saw similar effects on my 9911. Wish we all had your experience at fixing these old machines.

I agree: seems a few good $500 machines should be possible. But as I drive on the highways and hear (and feel) the dreadful bass doubling distorton from a subwoofer threatening to blow the windows out of a passing SUV, I realize that the entertainment market has turned to garbage in more areas than one. A guy on eBay is selling his $1500 SONY because he's "gone digital" and replaced it with a "combo DVD/VCR." Sez he's gonna dub all his remaining tapes to DVD with the combo unit, not the SONY. I wouldn't want to see the results. Talk about color bands!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just notice this my self
    on my vhs-vcr to, you might notice it before you play any vhs, when you have a blue screen with stripes
    this might be a heat issue to
    i got a LG LV971NM
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hate to keep the topic alive and maybe this is beating a dead horse but.....

I just picked up a SR-V101US. Playing a home video from 1986, I didn't notice the banding right away until I saw it on a yellowish background. Now I notice it alot.

After reading these posts and posting on another issue I have with purple artifacts, someone suggested trying to play the tape with the original device.

So I dug out my 1986 Magnavox video camera and played the same tape. The banding, while nowhere near as pronounced as the JVC, is indeed present in the original tape. The bars are not as exact but I can see where those bars might be. They are not exactly bars but a bit blurry discolorations (red/green).

I had some other artifacts (lines on a blue sky) that were faint on the original recording device but much more visible and almost like they were converted to be clearer/sharper.

Changing the settings on the JVC, like picture control = soft and R3 = off did reduce the visibility of the bands just a little, but the bands were still there.

The original device that shows them as blurry discolorations and they are nowhere near as noticeable as on the JVC....so I'm not sure which is worse, some banding with really clear video with the JVC or a slightly blurry video using the orignal device.

My guess is that its also something to do with the circuits that clean the video.

Then again, perhaps I'm seeing things since I've read this entire post....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Wow, interesting thread. I was really close to buying a new SR-V101US, but this has kind of scared me off from it — and newer models in general. I can see some degree of banding in most of the pictures posted here, but some are definitely much worse than others.

I hope I don't get flamed for asking this, but I don't think it has really been covered before. Could anyone give a general summary of the more popular JVC decks and the years they were produced? I was especially wondering about these:

I know the 9800 is the newest of that bunch, and was followed by the 9900 and 9911... But I've never really heard any dates for anything, even the highly acclaimed 9600 model. And I'm not exactly sure if all the 7000s are that much older or not. ?

I didn't really care about what kind of VCR I had until I got into transferring stuff a couple years ago, so all this history passed me by...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The earliesr reviews I've ever found of the HR-S7xxx series were dated 1988 (the HR-S7000 was introduced at a consumer electronics show in 1987). I have two 7600's, one made in 1999, the other in 2000 according to the stickers on the back.

The earliest reviews I've seen of the 9xxx series VCR's were dated 1999 and later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 9800 is from 2001.
    The 3800 were from about 1998.
    The 9600 is from about 1997.
    The 7600 is from the same time.
    The 7900 is from 2001 or 2002.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The 9800 is from 2001.
    The 3800 were from about 1998.
    The 9600 is from about 1997.
    The 7600 is from the same time.
    The 7900 is from 2001 or 2002.
    The dating sounds about right, lordsmurf. Now you mention it about the 7600, I found an ancient file on an equally ancient floppy disk (remember those, folks?) I saved off the 'Net way back when. Glowing review of the HR-S7600 dated Aug 1997. None of the links on that old review seem to be alive any more. The file, as saved, has a creation date from my PC in 2000, which was apparently when I copied that file off the 'Net. The floppy itself is on its last legs, as the end of the article wouldn't display and my browser gave errors. Shucks.

A couple years ago I found a very plain website page (the text was displayed in Courier) that had just about every name-brand VCR listed from the early 1990's on, along with their initial commercial ship dates. I spent 2 hours looking for that page last nite, couldn't find it. The list ended, if I recall, about early 2002. Shoulda copied that page back then, but didn't, and couldn't find it last nite.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased a 7900 unit. Should I assume it's a piece of junk? The build quality seems substantial, but if it was made in 2002 it's probably using the cheaper flimsy parts.

Originally Posted by vhelp
    If you no longer see these artifacts of color banding, then, you have your answer.. it was Macrovision (and the reprocusion there-of, from it)
    I have JVC, Panasonic, and Sears (1985) VCRs.

It's rare but from time-to-time I see color banding on both the JVC and Panasonic VCRs.

On the Sears VCR I see blinking lines whenever I play a Disney tape.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anitract
    Guys, got a bit of a problem here. Upon inspecting the captures that I have been doing, I noticed that on all of them, there are at least 2 bars/bands of color near the top running horizontally across the entire video field. They do not show up as much in blues and darker hues, but reds and "hot" colors show them more pronounced.

I've tested my original source tapes on a different VCR and the problem disappears, so I know that this is showing up from my JVC SR-V101US. I am unsure what to do, or even what is causing this problem. I welcome any insight.

Also, I have the mode set to Auto & TBC on.
    Yes, yes, I know it's been a while and this post has all but faded into history. But. . .

I used to think similar bands showed up only on my JVC-7600. But, alas, closer inspection reveals that the same bands appear on 7 other VCR's I've tried. The bands on some recordings from these VCR's are so dim they're barely visible. Alas again! The bands are always there, on all players. And with time, you'll see the bands in exactly the same positions during subsequent recording to AVI, and new bands will appear with each new recording.

Some of the bands are created by the player. Some are on the tapes themselves. And some result from encoding to AVI and/or MPEG. I find that NeatVideo can eliminate or alleviate many such disturbances.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote