VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. It's been years since I had burned a cd and having problems now so I would like to ask for help please. The CD's are to be played mainly on a Standalone CD player [boombox] but best if it can work on both a standalone player and computer.

I tried Cdburnerxp and also Microsft's Expressburncd softwares but both are showing the same error "not a cd in the drive". I am using Philips CD-R blanks. What am I doing wrong or how can I burn the mp3's on a cd please?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	blanks.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	55631  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is your drive a burner or just a ROM drive?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My pc's optical drive shows as DVD RW drive. I also had tried an external usb drive. I tried different blanks just in case one or two might be defective. Can it be possible this requires another type of blanks?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	burner.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	55632  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    My pc's optical drive shows as DVD RW drive. I also had tried an external usb drive. I tried different blanks just in case one or two might be defective. Can it be possible this requires another type of blanks?
    try using imgburn - https://www.videohelp.com/software/ImgBurn
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, will try
    Quote Quote  
  6. When burning CDs in a DVD drive, make sure the software is set to burn a CD. I still use Nero, and have occasionally forgotten to switch to CD on those rare occasions where I need to burn one, and I get all sorts of strange errors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had forgotten about nero which I had used way in the past. Imgburn showed errors with the USB cdrw drive but burned easily with the internal DVD drive. Problem is I don't have a standalone CD player to test as I am doing this for someone who lives far away. Any option for me to test without a standalone CD player please?

Also I will need to burn from inside a burning software where I can set the order of the mp's and choose gapless option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    Problem is I don't have a standalone CD player to test as I am doing this for someone who lives far away. Any option for me to test without a standalone CD player please?

Also I will need to burn from inside a burning software where I can set the order of the mp's and choose gapless option.
    Any computer that has a DVD or CD drive will play red book audio. That is what traditional audio CDs use to store the audio (it is not stored in normal 1's and 0). \

Nero can burn without the 2-second gap.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am wondering why imbrue worked to write the files and not the other 2 softwares?

In the morning I will try out iTunes and WMP cd burning option to see if it will burn an audio cd, will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the problem was guys that these are DVD blanks and not CD-R as the label shows! No wonder all the error messages no matter which softwares I try, sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    I think the problem was guys that these are DVD blanks and not CD-R as the label shows! No wonder all the error messages no matter which softwares I try, sorry.
    does your car have a CD player ??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. So I would need to get a few cd-r blanks if the guy wants me to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking online for good blanks, would this work please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-R-Blank-Media-30-Pack-Spindle-Maxell-Audio-Music-32x-80-Mi...cAAOSwWUJfkr1d

Oh no, that's only for use in CDR Recorders. Can you guys advise me on which type of blanks I would need to create the audio cd's on a pc please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Good" or "Better" CD blanks haven't been an issue for decades. Blanks are blanks.
    Although "Music" blanks would work.....they were made for CD Recorders.
    For a computer?.....any blank will do.
    Last edited by hech54; 30th Oct 2020 at 01:45.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx. I got some Memorex blanks and burned them at 8x and they work good in WMP, will report back when the guy comes with the standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 8x for a CD is unbelievably slow (24x to 40x is a more typical range of speeds). 8x sounds much more like a DVD write speed.

I assume you are certain that they really are CD blanks, given your earlier problem with mis-packaged CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had thought the slower the burn the speed the better would be the reliability and quality, is it not so?

Yes they are Memorex CD--R blanks.

https://www.target.com/p/memorex-cd-r-spindle-disc-pack-30-pk/-/A-14158034#lnk=sametab
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
    I had thought the slower the burn the speed the better would be the reliability and quality, is it not so?
    There have been lots of discussions about this over the years. You can't really know unless you do your own tests with your own blanks and your own drive.

The argument for slower speeds is based on the increased vibration that can happen as a disc spins faster. More vibration = worse burn.

The argument for using rated speeds is that the dye formulation for any given disc was developed to be burned with a certain amount of laser energy. Burning at too slow or too fast a speed can put your burn outside this "sweet spot."

It DOES make a difference, and I have proven this with my own tests, and the answer for my setup has changed over the years as the quality of blank media has declined.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I see, I will do as you have suggested next time, thanks for the explanation. I haven't heard back from the guy as of this writing so I have to assume I did all of this for nothing or rather look at it as a learning experience.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Remember, not all boomboxes (especially older models) do well with CD-R's, regardless of brand and burn speed.
    If you're intent on going with a "retro vibe" Audio CD thing, you might be doing a bit of trial-and-error testing and going through a stack of wasted disks.
    Quote Quote