VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been looking for a video editor that can do the following.
    1. Supports MKV format along with HEVC codec.
    2. Supports subtitle formats besides SRT like ASS, SSA, etc.
    3. Able to add basic transitions.
    4. Can parse subtitles and other attachments like fonts for example to render the subtitle accurately as fonts are normally added in case the computer doesn't have them so that the subtitles can be viewed as they were meant to be.
    5. Can cut or trim videos as needed and in doing so will automatically cut the subtitles as well. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders)
    6. Can burn subtitles. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders).
    7. Able to detect and edit multiple audios that are included in the MKV file and can select which audio to work with. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders)
    8. Has GUI. (Not CLI like FFmpeg, too much of a noob to operate CLI apps)
    I have tried multiple video editors. The closest I came to was Movavi Video Suite. However, that lacked 2,4,5,6,7. So, I was wondering if you know of any video editors that can do the tasks mentioned above. I would really appreciate your insights on this. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like you are looking for a editor/encoder with the ability to burn in subtitles. Avidemux has a filter which handles external subtitles.

It shouldn't be impossible for a cutter GUI to handle cutting of non-hardcoded text subtitles tracks. I don't know if any lossless cutter with preview has this feature though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi @MrBlackhole,

Have you already tried iMovie? I recommend you to try it out in case that you have a Mac Computer. But if you have a Computer with a Windows Operating system i would recommend you Final Cut Pro.

In my opinion, both of these video editors will suit your needs. I can just say that these are two of the best video editors I have ever used.
    Last edited by producer38724; 18th Feb 2021 at 10:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    It sounds like you are looking for a editor/encoder with the ability to burn in subtitles. Avidemux has a filter which handles external subtitles.
    I tried Avidemux, although it is quite good and almost close to my requirements, it still has a few lackings. I can't select which audio I wanna work with, by default it will use multiple audios and cut them. I have to subtract the track I want with MKVToolNix. As for cutting and trimming, I can't preview real-time, also the transitions, I gotta manage that based on assumptions and put the timecodes for start and end time. Furthermore, if I wanna cut multiple parts of a video and join or append them together, then that is a hassle too as the GUI is kind of a mess. It is indeed very close to a fully functional editor + encoder. I was looking for something that is more user-friendly and has an easy-going GUI. In the meantime, I am using this and also on the lookout for a more suitable software. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by MrBlackhole; 18th Feb 2021 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by producer38724 View Post
    Hi @MrBlackhole,

Have you already tried iMovie?
    No, I haven't as this is exclusive for Mac.

if you have a Computer with a Windows Operating system i would recommend you Final Cut Pro.
    As far as I know Final Cut Pro is Mac exclusive. However, upon your suggestions, I looked up if this is available for Windows and apparently there is one called "Final Cut Pro X: Overview" in Windows Store. Is this the one you're talking about?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fcp is mac only. the "overview" is just an ad to try and sell the mac version.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @producer38724, iMovie is easy to use, convenient, and sufficient for simple consumer jobs. That's it. FCP is a full-blown NLE that supports lots of features & techiques (though am not sure how well it supports mkv container). They cover two completely different target user categories. However, both are Mac-only products. Always have been*, always will be.
    For Windows, what has been suggested is probably the most appropriate, as the combination is more akin to free consumer remix needs than production.

Scott

*not counting the original win app that FCP was forked from back in the 90s.

...aedipuss beat me to it. Spam alert!
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 18th Feb 2021 at 16:39.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Avidemux, "audio" at the top of the window does provide some selection capabilities
    Quote Quote  
  9. Avidemux is a simple cross-platform cutter/editor/encoder. It is not really suited for complex editing. The GUI could do with some ease of use improvements, the way the filtered output display works could be improved for instance. It does support a scriptable project system, which is how you can handle fairly complex cutting in Avidemux.
    You should be able to select which audio you want to work with (though you can't mix different audio tracks) and fade to black is probably the only built-in transition available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like you are looking at more than one program to me. mkv is usually pirated content, no mainline editor can support. ass, ssa subs are mkv/pirated movie subs and are not going to be supported in mainline editors. 4 is not an editing program function. neither is 5 or 6.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mkv/srt has many legitimate uses, whether mainline editors support it or not.
    ex: Youtube uses webm a mkv container and webvtt (text based subtitles).

Mkv could easily be muxed/demuxed to mp4 if required.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. let me phrase it differently. mkv is a storage format. editing suites are mostly only going to ingest first gen source formats. when an editor wants to change something in a storage format they go back to the source material and produce a brand new version of the output.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For consumers' use, you could reclassify a bunch of these apps as "re-editors".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MrBlackhole View Post
    I have been looking for a video editor that can do the following.
    1. Supports MKV format along with HEVC codec.
    2. Supports subtitle formats besides SRT like ASS, SSA, etc.
    3. Able to add basic transitions.
    4. Can parse subtitles and other attachments like fonts for example to render the subtitle accurately as fonts are normally added in case the computer doesn't have them so that the subtitles can be viewed as they were meant to be.
    5. Can cut or trim videos as needed and in doing so will automatically cut the subtitles as well. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders)
    6. Can burn subtitles. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders).
    7. Able to detect and edit multiple audios that are included in the MKV file and can select which audio to work with. (Similar to Handbrake and other video encoders)
    8. Has GUI. (Not CLI like FFmpeg, too much of a noob to operate CLI apps)
    I have tried multiple video editors. The closest I came to was Movavi Video Suite. However, that lacked 2,4,5,6,7. So, I was wondering if you know of any video editors that can do the tasks mentioned above. I would really appreciate your insights on this. Thank you.
    It may not be possible to find an editor that does 2,4,5, and 6 plus 1, 3, 7 and 8. (At least I haven't seen a video editor that also edits subtitles and burns-in subtitles. The closest thing that I have seen is an editor that trims and exports EIA-608 closed captions or DVD closed captions along with the video. Avidemux and Handbrake are the only software that I have used that can burn-in subtitles but they can't edit them.) However, there are good free subtitle-only editors. SubtitleEdit handles many subtitle formats.

If you are willing to pay for software, you might try TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  15. The features that I want in a video editor / encoder are very rare indeed. This is more of a combination of Editor & Encoder. The problem is Facebook and SRT format. Facebook doesn't allow a video to be viewed at high resolution (1080p, 2K or 4K) if the source video is encoded or converted twice. For example "Sample_1" is the source video. I edit that with all necessary transitions and effects, edit the audio as necessary and then export that and rename it "Sample_1_2". Now I gotta add the subs and burn them into the video. For that, I gotta encode it using an encoder. Let's say the new encoded video is "Sample_1_3" and is 4k in resolution. If I upload this, Facebook will downgrade it to 720p and will not retain the original 4K.

However, if I upload "Sample_1_2" or "Sample_1", both will retain 4K resolution. Now comes the sub. SRT format doesn't support any fancy effects. For that, you gotta use ASS format to contain the effects. (As far as I know, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, subtitle guides are hard to find, I learned this on my own )

At the moment I have been using Avidemux as that is the closest one. But the UI needs a lot of improvement.
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

If you are willing to pay for software, you might try TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 6.
    I will give the trial version a go. If it has the requirements, I'll buy the software, no problem.

In the meantime, if you can think of any software that is closest to the requirements, please do not hesitate to comment down below. Thank you, everyone.
    Quote Quote