+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. [QUOTE=codehound;2634456

OBS can pause

end QUOTE]

thats interesting .... at the moment I ve given up with the showbiz capture
    my method now is to get the video playing on showbiz then get up ... Debut video .... which of course
    has a pause.... and save the video with Debut
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't have any RCA sockets.
    Last edited by carlmart; 15th Oct 2021 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh dear.

Any Panasonic DVD-recorder puts HDCP copy protection on it's HDMI out all the time.

Thus, if you do not remove HDCP, your capture device cannot see any video and you can't capture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio will be coming in on the HDMI. If you're getting good video out of your Digitnow, you should be getting stereo audio, if you're feeding it a stereo source.

What is the source for the video and audio (machine and format)?

Re the mono audio: is this what OBS is saying you are getting? Are you getting any audio at all?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The audio will be coming in on the HDMI. If you're getting good video out of your Digitnow, you should be getting stereo audio, if you're feeding it a stereo source.

What is the source for the video and audio (machine and format)?

Re the mono audio: is this what OBS is saying you are getting? Are you getting any audio at all?
    The audio that gets to OBS is mono. In OBS you can see one or two channels, but they carry the same audio. It does not depend on the program: it's the device.

It makes no difference on the source you are capturing, it will always be mono with this device. No matter if the original is stereo or multichannel.

I tried with both my sat decoders and with my Nvidia Shield Device, with a Netflix movie that I knew was multichannel. Mono all the time.

The sound that is bypassed to the HDMI output is different from the one that comes out of the USB output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will ask you, as an example, to look at this Amazon ad for this capture device:

https://www.amazon.com/Capture-Streaming-Nintendo-YouTube-Support/dp/B08BL3B3JK/ref=sr...apture&sr=1-36

Not a SINGLE word about audio. If they mention it, is to say the device has a mic input to add comments. But nothing, not a single word about stereo or multichannel capabilities.

One thing I noticed on this topic is that some of the people who are chiming in have not tried a capture device, and see what problems they might bring.
    Last edited by carlmart; 16th Oct 2021 at 08:09.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to say it but it looks like you picked a dud. Check out this Q and A I found in the Amazon link you provided for your gadget:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3LOD8QG1A3Q37/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So which is the capture device I should get?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good question. Given you say the video is great with the box you have, indicating that the HDMI>USB function seems to work with those types of gadgets, I'd just check the reviews on those which specifically advertise audio capture and pick the best-sounding one. Make sure you read the bad reviews. You'll soon get the low-down on the truth. But be ready to try a couple! Cheap could mean nasty. My HDMI>USB3 capture box (Startech USB3HDCAP) cost a bomb compared to those. Whether it works any better... who knows?

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I have checked the reviews, and all, even the expensive ones, seem review badly for some users. None mention the audio.

The problem is that none, in Amazon or elsewhere, advertise on audio capture, except to mention you can input a microphone, which is mono, of course.

It might be a question of chipset and driver, but you do not get any information on what's inside, like on TV boxes. But the driver seems to be from Microsoft.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got curious about the USB capture device driver, if there might be another one that works. Found this:

https://www.driverscape.com/download/usb-video-capture-device

But I'm not sure if it's not risky for my computer to use a non-official driver for this. Who knows what might be in it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    One thing I noticed on this topic is that some of the people who are chiming in have not tried a capture device, and see what problems they might bring.
    Well what I can say is, based on the problems people have with these here on Videohelp, all of those devices suck for our purpose of capturing analog video. They may be decent or somewhat acceptable for capturing off video game consoles and for streaming.

The only truly honest recommendation I can give you is get either one of these two:

• Startech USB3HDCAP
    • Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (only for HDMI captures, do not use for anything else)
    Last edited by Skiller; 27th Oct 2021 at 17:26.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Be prepared to get a $1700 TBC with the Intensity Shuttle on top of its price, or some sort of special DVD recorder in the chain for about $150.

All what I can say is the OP is looking for the wrong tools for VHS sources. VHS capture has a learning curve, It must be understood first, How VHS signal is played back from the tape, What is luma and chroma? What is timing signals? What is interlaced video? what is a legal resolution, square, non square pixel? ... etc. The stuff I've seen so far is all for HD and 4K video game capture, These devices will not know what to do with a standard resolution interlaced signal with a lot of line and frame timing errors especailly from a crappy consumer VCR using composite output.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 16th Oct 2021 at 16:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    All what I can say is the OP is looking for the wrong tools for VHS sources. VHS capture has a learning curve, It must be understood first, How VHS signal is played back from the tape, What is luma and chroma? What is timing signals? What is interlaced video? what is a legal resolution, square, non square pixel? ... etc. The stuff I've seen so far is all for HD and 4K video game capture, These devices will not know what to do with a standard resolution interlaced signal with a lot of line and frame timing errors especailly from a crappy consumer VCR using composite output.
    ^ This.

HD tools/toys are not what you want for consumer analog SD work (ie, VHS)
    HD tools/toys are for video games, etc. Not videotapes.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ive gone back to my old method of saving stuff off old videos or recording live tv and sat

I use my dvd recorder and record stuff onto a dvd disc... usually vid clips of 2 or 3 mins

then when full, that disc goes into my computor... Handbrake software turns the vobs into mp4 files.... job done

I dont regret buying the video capture gear.... £45 .... I can at least use it to get tv into my computor and
    maybe listen to radio or tv on the astra satellite
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    I would buy one of these, or similar.
    Hassle free and very easy to use.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Capture-Digital-Converter-Records/dp/B01DJCDYKI/ref=...22918364&psc=1
    And the quality is awful.
    It looks worse than a badly-made DVD. It's compressed mess.

It's actually worse than an Easycap. Yep, that bad.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote