VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I noticed that Wal-mart in China is selling $22 DVD players that have a USB port. I tested this USB function by loading a whole 700mb avi movie on a tiny memory stick and plugged into the DVD player and it played the movie perfectly.
    The avi that I used is the standard kind such like software Fair Use Wizard creates when ripping DVDs to a 700mb avi file. However, I tried to play another avi that I got from a You Tube converter. This avi would play fine in Media Player Classic, but when loaded on a memory stick, the DVD player would not play the avi. I tried this with two different DVD players, and neither would play this "unstandard" avi. My question is, what makes some avi "standard" and other avi's "unstandard" and not playable in DVD players? I have posted 2 screenshots from G-spot. The first screenshot shows a standard avi clip and the second screenshot shows the "unstandard" . Can anyone tell me why the second avi won't play in DVD players via the USB?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first one is Xvid in an avi container. The second is mpeg-1, probably from a VCD, squeezed into an avi container. I am guessing the player doesn't like the format configured this way. I suspect that if you demux the video and audio, and remux into an mpeg container, it will play. Either that, or encode it correctly to xvid in an avi container.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpeg1 in avi is not that common and I don't think divx dvd players handles it that well. If you remux it to a standard mpg file I think it will work in most dvd players or maybe you only need to rename to mpg if it's just a mislabeled file. Don't use crappy youtube converters....

edit: guns1inger beat me...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used the zamar.com online video converter. This video converter gives you several choices for the output video, such as avi, mp4 and mpg. In these cases I selected avi. However, maybe if I selected mp4 or mpg, then that would play in DVD players. In any case, the zamar.com online video converter is very useful because I can't play the videos directly from You tube because my internet connection is too slow, and sometimes You tube is blocked completely.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If these are the results you get from it, you may have to find a better site. There are several to choose from.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote